Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2248 2249 [2250] 2251 2252 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694754 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #33735 on: March 14, 2014, 02:10:57 am »

Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath was long as hell but really goddamn intriguing and fun to read. Though I'll admit that his prose is practically the incarnation of purple.

Seriously though, I can't read 30 words of Gatsby without falling asleep.
This makes me rage. Verbose writing styles aren't all purple prose, dammit! Some of us enjoy extravagant and complex sentences.

I swear, some days I just want to punch Ernest Hemingway right in the mustache.
This. Lovecraft's works have some really delicious prose. I say delicious because it is written in a way which quickly lends itself to almost literally chewing on the words. It forces you to slow down and over-enunciate every syllable. Not a dainty dance over phrases of meaning, but rather the dread incantations of an archaic tome, the very whisperings of which hold a sense of great import. Delicious.

Or at least that's my take on it, as a programmer entirely unlearned in the matters of words. :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:15:50 am by alway »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33736 on: March 14, 2014, 02:18:57 am »

FUUUUU
Guess who broke their clip-on sunglasses today? Guess who finds driving in daylight a hell of a lot harder without them? And guess who's working tomorrow?
The answer to all three questions is, of course, me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33737 on: March 14, 2014, 10:16:54 am »

Because of the untimely storm that blew in the other day, the power went out. If you have been in the happy thread, you might've seen that I mentioned that I had spent some time soft modding my PS2.

Well, our wonderful story begins a little while after that, the same night. I was putting some homebrew thingers on a Kingston USB drive that I borrowed from the bro, since he's never really used it. The exact second that these (tiny) files were transferring to the USB was the same one that a pine tree decided to take a nap on the power lines, causing the power in our house to go out.

In the morning, the files were in the condition that I had expected. Random folders named by garbled text, with creation dates ranking from 2050-something to 1986 (TIME PARADOX!). I tried deleting them, computer wouldn't let me. I safely eject the USB, and plug it back in. Apparently it needed to be formatted, I never would have guessed!

[/sarcasm]

I have tried every possible method of formatting it, it just won't work. Kingston's formatting thing fails within a few seconds, Windows' one does too. Command line complains that I'm not inputting commands correctly, because I don't speak DOS.

I've got 3 others, but my brother might be mad about it, anyway.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33738 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »

Fuck. I scanned my computer twice both in safe mode and normal and stupid adware is still showing up.

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33739 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:21 pm »

System restore it? Works for me when shit goes to...Well, shit.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33740 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »

What are you scanning with? Sometimes a good spyware scanner can find things that a normal antivirus program won't. It's also possible you're infected with something that's inhibiting your AV from doing its job.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33741 on: March 14, 2014, 02:24:03 pm »

Ran Avast, Malware Bytes and Adware Cleaner and shit still happens.

Edit. Somehow cleaned firefox but chrome seems like a lost cause so I deleted it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:03:45 pm by majikero »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33742 on: March 14, 2014, 03:05:50 pm »

OK, first, keep everything plugged in and turned on. Place a line of salt (iodized is fine, it doesn't matter, salt is salt) separating the monitor, tower, keyboard, and mouse - and any other peripherals. Arrange six bay leaves on the router pointing to the four corners and two crossed over the logo. Surround the computer tower with red candles and the monitor with white ones. Light them counter-clockwise with a bundle of sage. Spill the blood of two lambs into a lead bowl engraved with the sign on Elbereth, and place that upon the computer chair. Spin the chair counter-clockwise thirteen times while chanting the name of your operating system in binary. Glance over and notice that the neighbors are looking in the window and have called the police.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33743 on: March 14, 2014, 03:10:27 pm »

I like going out to lunch with my friends.

Unfortunately, none of them give a fuck how long they're gone. Me, on the other hand, have coworkers in tech support to answer to, phone calls to answer and so forth.

So after the 2nd or 3rd 2-hour lunch in a month, my co-worker, who is incredibly nice and easy going, finally said "Alright, this is starting to piss me off."

And he's completely right. My rage is that I tell my friends "Guys, I can't take a two hour lunch anymore." What do they do? Pick a place on the complete opposite side of town to eat, then drive back downtown to get coffee at the only coffee shop one guy will go to, then they finally go back to work. Only to immediately start playing hackey sack. (Because hey, hackey sack is at two, and it's irrelevant what time anyone walked back in from lunch.)

It's like, I get that a) no one depends on you at your job and b) you have nothing but contempt for everyone's opinion of you at work anyways. Neither of those are true for me though. And it'd be nice if my friends, I dunno, gave at least one shit about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33744 on: March 14, 2014, 03:17:05 pm »

Divine matron of fornication, quickbooks just managed to somehow create a werfault instance that flatlined both my CPU cores at 100%. Looks like it's friday again, hahaha! This one's going to be fun. And by fun, I mean yet again my enmity for Intuit has increased!

+1 hatred, would salt the earth again.

Though @ nenjin, how the hell do you even manage to stretch a meal over two hours? After the first 20-30 minutes, whatever it is you're doing, it's not food.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33745 on: March 14, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »

Divine matron of fornication, quickbooks just managed to somehow create a werfault instance that flatlined both my CPU cores at 100%. Looks like it's friday again, hahaha! This one's going to be fun. And by fun, I mean yet again my enmity for Intuit has increased!

+1 hatred, would salt the earth again.

Though @ nenjin, how the hell do you even manage to stretch a meal over two hours? After the first 20-30 minutes, whatever it is you're doing, it's not food.

I'm a little amazed myself at how we kill that much time. But it goes like this.

1. I clock out, because someone says "we're going to lunch."
2. Person A immediately goes to the bathroom for a 20 minute shit while we all wait around tapping our feet. Even though we've asked him to poop earlier, or whatever. He basically takes delight in making people wait on him.
2a. Add between 3 and 5 minutes per person that is to be included in the lunch caravan. When it's a group of 8 going out, I've known it to take as long as 40 minute to round everyone up, get them away from their desks and out the fucking door.
3. Drive between 10 and 20 minutes to the place we're going to eat.
4. Eat for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Drive downtown to get coffee which takes, again, 10 to 20 minutes.
6. Take 10 minutes getting coffee because people drink Mixed coffee drinks rather than just pouring a cup and going.
7. Drive another 10 to 20 minutes to get back to work.

Note, these guys don't do McDonalds, Burger King or anything fast unless under duress. The closest they get is Subway.They prefer to do sitdown restaurants, or at least fast-er food that is sit down. The places they pick are usually popular so there's usually a line.

And like I said, they belligerently do not care about what other people in the office think, including their and my boss. Either because they've been there since the beginning of the company, or they're daring someone to fire them. Which leaves me, someone who takes my responsiblities seriously and has to answer to other co-workers, completely fucked.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:25:39 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33746 on: March 14, 2014, 03:28:15 pm »

That's why you pack your own lunch. Take 30mins the night before and pack it. If you have a microwave at work, then all the better since you can eat it warm.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33747 on: March 14, 2014, 03:34:32 pm »

That's why you pack your own lunch. Take 30mins the night before and pack it. If you have a microwave at work, then all the better since you can eat it warm.

No. And here's why:

I want to leave the building. My company actually caters lunch everday, and I don't go for the express reason that I don't want to spend 8.5 hours in the building. (Also because I think the food is shit.) Lunch time is my time, time to get out of the office, time to let breathe fresh air and let go of work for just a little while. I recharge when I go out to lunch. I do not when I stay in.

If I wanted to pack a shitty sandwich and eat it at my desk like a sad sack, or eat whatever nasty, poorly made health food they have catered, I would have done so by now. But I don't, never have and never will. Because I like to enjoy my lunch. Unfortunately, my friends enjoy to an irresponsible degree.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:42:51 pm by nenjin »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33748 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:04 pm »

I had something like that before, turned out that something I had installed recently also put in a plug-in to my browser, that highlighted words to turn them into ads. >____>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33749 on: March 14, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

Try pre-ordering. My friends and I go to a sandwich place (Unch), and preordering makes it so much quicker.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2248 2249 [2250] 2251 2252 ... 3345