Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689175 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SON OF A BROWSER! Edition
« Reply #32415 on: February 06, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

That this dude hid inheritance money from his dad from family members (billions of dollars worth), and when they finally noticed the courts sided with him since it had been over 10 years since he stole it.
Not only that, but he received two pardons for his blatant corruption and bribing of officials from the same prime minister. One pardon for something as bad as this is one thing, but getting two pardons is just BS.

I would totally understand if this was a third world country, where corruption is blatant and out in the open, but in a country like South Korea it just makes far more of an impact for me.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32416 on: February 06, 2014, 06:50:30 pm »

Gah. Fuck up installing a Fallout mod for Civ III Conquests(Civ III complete FTW) and now I have to wait for it to reinstall because, yet again, I forget to hit the 'backup game files' button.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32417 on: February 06, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »

That this dude hid inheritance money from his dad from family members (billions of dollars worth), and when they finally noticed the courts sided with him since it had been over 10 years since he stole it.
Not only that, but he received two pardons for his blatant corruption and bribing of officials from the same prime minister. One pardon for something as bad as this is one thing, but getting two pardons is just BS.

I would totally understand if this was a third world country, where corruption is blatant and out in the open, but in a country like South Korea it just makes far more of an impact for me.
I think you can find examples of insane corruption and bad dudes winning because they have more money in any first-world country without looking too hard. I mean, in the US, we didn't see waves of thousands of white-collar banking criminals thrown in the slammer and fined triple what they stole. Instead a couple figureheads went to jail and generally kept their loot.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32418 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:02 pm »

WorkRAGE: So, the company I work for has cracked down on the employees again. They already treat us like criminals, patting down our coats and checking our bags before we leave. We wear radios to be in constant contact with the managers. All of our sales numbers are tracked down to the cent, despite being a non-commission job. To top it off, we now have to check in and out with the manager on duty, and when we check out, we have to present our goals and all of our "contributions" for the day, including a printout that we'll get yelled at for taking the time to print.

On top of that, I called in to do the phone interview, and no one's picking up the damned phone. I may hurt someone if this day keeps up this way.

Seems like more and more jobs are being structured like prisons.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32419 on: February 06, 2014, 07:40:11 pm »

Overload and a roommate who likes to be annoying. I could ignore the mindless repetitive statements, but he also touched my shoulder three times. At risk of sounding edgy, I really hate being touched, especially when I want to be by myself.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #32420 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »

Have you considered murderization?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32421 on: February 06, 2014, 07:48:21 pm »

I used to think that people weren't "inherently" anything, behavior-wise. My family has changed my mind: it's actually possible for somebody to be unhappy by default, without any outside intervention. As soon as I'm in a position to do so, I am moving right the hell out and only keeping as much of a connection as I can while keeping sane.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32422 on: February 06, 2014, 07:49:13 pm »

Have you considered murderization?
If I didn't kill my last roommate, I'm probably not going to ever kill anybody.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #32423 on: February 06, 2014, 07:50:19 pm »

I keep ending up dragged off to annoying bullshit whenever things look good or nice or workable or whatever positive emotive word you wanna describe something good that's currently going on. Every. Time.

I wanna be productive around here but if this is gonna be how it is living at my own damn home I'm gonna start using "Fuck you" as my go to response for being asked or expected to do anything if this dumbass timing keeps up. The others living here aren't the only ones stressed out!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32424 on: February 06, 2014, 08:10:07 pm »

Hey man, that's what this place is for.

I can relate. My dad was a bit overbearing too about the "right" way to do things. Being an adult and talking to him about it years later, he doesn't remember it the way I do at all. But some childhood memories, and the emotion you felt, get seared into your mind for all time. I'll never forget my dad absolutely flipping his shit over how I tied my shoes. Years later, I was always the target for the assumption of wrong doing among my entire family. It bred a lot of resentment when something would happen and aunts or uncles would run up to me shaking my arm going "WHAT DID YOU DO!" It's funny because years later these people fall over themselves to be nice to me. But when the drinks start flowing, everyone always comes back around to these moments, sloppily and sort of obnoxiously seeking my forgiveness for them being total douche bags.

Here's the thing: this is family. You're really young, you have no power and people believe they can mold you if they just shout loud enough, or intimidate you enough. They practice "Do as I say not as I do" on a daily basis, and if you've got even an iota of self-awareness, the hypocrisy is plain to see. The sheer lack of treating you like a person, who is worth listening to and taking seriously, is hard to stomach.

And that's just parents, even good ones sometimes. Unfortunately, they're effectively teaching you a hard lesson early on....you have to learn to think for yourself. Whether that's what ultimately "feels" right, or what you've rationally come to after weighing the pros, cons, consequences and your own sense of fairness.

For example. "I refuse to let someone beat up on me." Pros: You stand up for yourself and a draw your line in the sand beyond which you will not be pushed. You smack that little shit like he deserves. Cons? You'll be branded a trouble maker, and might get a slap of your own as someone tries to enforce what they believe (that you're in the wrong) on you. It's the price you pay for being an independent thinker, pretty much at any age. (The slaps become more metaphorical as you get older.) And sometimes, you're wrong and you gotta live with that too.

Or you can take the other tact. "I'll suffer some things to avoid a much worse punishment." You put up with the contradictions and feeling like shit because you know, ultimately, you'll hate being punished for standing up for yourself worse. This is a stalling tactic that can go on for years until you get the space from your family and your environment you need to not be a punching bag. But it has other consequences too, like coming to define your personality and how you deal with other, non-family people.

Or. "Having a tattoo doesn't make you a horrible person or is a sin. It can however have health consequences." You don't even have to have a tattoo to believe this. It's simply your point of view, because you might believe a person is more than skin deep.

Or you might choose to believe "I think tattoos are kind of a trashy way to express yourself, or is a fad."

Or you might choose to believe "Tattoos are a beautiful representation of a personally held belief or feeling, and the body is a place for art as much as a canvas."

In the end, you know what your options are. It's the choice and accepting the consequences that are scary. You can do the tried and true classic among asshole family members: be a mystery to them. Don't talk about what you believe. Don't argue. Don't cringe but don't get angry either. Form your identity of yourself completely separate from them, their beliefs and their hypocrisy. Essentially, cut them out of the equation as non-people.

And though it sucks, the feeling of being on the wrong side of an issue all the time doesn't really go away. Life is a constant stream of doubt, choices and consequences. You get through it by trusting your instincts and innate sense of right and wrong, and allowing yourself to be wrong as long as you learn from it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:33:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32425 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:55 pm »

Gaslighting is a form of abuse.  That shit should not be happening.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #32426 on: February 06, 2014, 08:15:42 pm »

Lately, I've been feeling horrible inside.
The reason is simple:
I don't know what to think.
I just can't seem to know what is right and what is wrong. I change between point-of-views fast, and I can't seem to feel like any opinion is just right. I feel like I've always got the wrong opinion, the "bad" one, the one that is to be (and deserves to be) shunned.
I have no idea what to believe, I have no idea if my opinions make me a regular person or that troll everyone hates. I feel like I've been given too many contradictions, and my brain just doesn't know what is right.

>Mom tells me since little that tattoos are bad, human skin is too valuable, even cosmetic (stuff like eyeliner or blush tattoos) and temporal tattoos are evil.
>One day, mom suddenly gets eyeliner tattoo.
>Less than one week later, she's saying again how even the smallest or most temporary of tattoos, even drawing on your skin with pen and erasing it, are fundamentally evil.

>Young cousin gets angry, starts hitting me and I tell him to stop. When that is not enough, I grab him firmly and tell him to stop hitting people. He gets sad, uncle gets angry at me for "attacking" him.
>Cousin starts hitting me again. I decide to ignore. He grabs something strong (metal/wooden stick, thick plastic toy, etc,) tries to hit me. I stop him. Uncle and mom and dad get angry at me, "I'm not his parent".
>Same cousin hits me. Ignore him, tell his parents. Uncle gets angry at me for not acting, saying I should've acted and now he feels encouraged to do it more and next time I should just punch him back.

Now, I feel like people will always be on the opposite side of everything I believe in, and that they should, because I must always be fundamentally wrong for this thing to work. Nobody's sat down and told me, "In y situation, you do x unless z, in which case you do a, b or c".
I still get my dad angry at me because "THAT NOT THE RIGHT WAY TO HOLD FORKS EVERYONE WHO SEES YOU WILL ASSUME YOU STUPID!" and then, when told that nobody ever actually told me how to hold forks, he says I should've figured it out by myself, because I when I was eating I should've been looking at people's hands to observe how to specifically hold forks, cut meat, etc. Same for clothes. I supposedly know by now how those pants are a cm too short, how that color is too washed out for those jeans and people always are looking at my socks to make sure they combine with my shoes and pants.

So now, I have no idea about anything (except for cold, concrete facts, like science or math)
I don't even know about myself. I feel like I'm the best, I feel like I'm a living pile of sh*t. I feel like I'm a good person, I feel like I deserve to die in a pit. While on fire. I feel that my opinions on gender equality are about right, I feel like they are evil and oppressive. I feel like I need help and I'm in a genuine problem, I feel like I'm just crying over something that wouldn't even qualify as a first world problem.
Many a time, I have written a long post with my opinion on something, take one last look at it before posting, and then just before I hit the button, the same scenario plays out in my head. One in which the opinions I wrote in that post are systematically taken apart by everyone, and all of you decide I'm not worthy and I'm just another troll and I get banned from the forums and I have no place for me, no place to belong to anymore.

Anyways, if you read up to here, thank you.
Sorry for bothering you with my personal problems.

You are not alone. My situation has never been that bad, though. My sympathies.  :-\

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32427 on: February 06, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »

Sounds like people in positions of authority are being dicks. That is not okay, and it is okay to feel that it isn't okay.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32428 on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:45 pm »

Get a written statement next time. None of this "you said" that they can deny. None of this "don't raise your cousin but also don't just let him hit you" BS. Nail them down on what they expect you to do with the cousin and if they won't sign a written statement then fuck em.

There are good, reasonable people in this world who are not crazy bullshitters. For everyone else, there are laws and contracts.

I say stick with your guns on the cousin thing; you were handling it really well. Your uncle is 100% wrong.

I think by recognizing these things you are, even if only subconsciously, realizing that you need to take in as much information as you can and make your own decisions. Your mom and uncle desperately want you to be just like them, or perhaps some nebulous concept of "better". Watch them, listen to them, but take everything with a grain of salt because they are probably wrong most of the time.

When you grow up you'll realize you're wrong most of the time too. We all are. We just try to improve what we can.

As for what other people think, they're too self-conscious and worrying about what other people think to inspect and analyze you. The ones who are snidely noticing your socks, are probably superficial enough that their opinions aren't important. Looking inward, like you're doing now, is a lot more valuable than trying to peer into the heads of everyone around you to find out their opinion of you.

And people just like to argue on the Internet. Notice that everyone else's posts get picked apart? I bet this one will be too.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32429 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:35 pm »

I've always found people to be contradictory.

But my childhood was kind-of messed up, so you probably shouldn't take my word for it.
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 3345