Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2129 2130 [2131] 2132 2133 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692171 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31950 on: January 25, 2014, 03:16:14 pm »

I assume the Jews, at least.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31951 on: January 25, 2014, 03:28:36 pm »

Martin Luther was a bit beyond the norm:
Quote from: Martin Luther, On The Jews And Their Lies
"[Jews are a] base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth." "[Jews are] full of the devil's feces ... which they wallow in like swine,"..."[the synagogue is a] incorrigible whore and an evil slut".
He essentially advocated that the Christians of Europe do everything in their power to either kill the Jews or force them to become Christians, which wasn't normal. Most rulers of the time hardly saw the Jews as equal, but weren't out to destroy them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31952 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »

dispatch
home is west
nebraska is east
y u send me to nebraska when im supposed to be home in a few days
dispatch staaaaaaahp
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31955 on: January 25, 2014, 04:50:40 pm »

If they're wrong, I'm not surprised they'd jump to conclusions given the comments on that article.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31956 on: January 25, 2014, 04:53:46 pm »

Rust told one student that she should not capitalize the word “indigenous” in her papers. This correction was ideologically-motivated, according to Watson.

Holy shit. That is some PC-Jitsu right there. You could right any entire term paper around that concept. *slow clap*

And yeah. The top comment is basically the White Male Counter. Ironic how they're willing to look at the one statistic that serves their argument while not looking at the other statistic that actually matters in America: wealth.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:57:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31957 on: January 25, 2014, 05:02:19 pm »

Um, the correction was not ideological...
The word indigenous is not a proper noun, and therefor should not be capitalized. It's not racism, it's proper English you twat.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31958 on: January 25, 2014, 05:05:54 pm »

Who decides what is proper English and what isn't?

For example, it was the most proper English--the standard, for a long time--to refer to a woman as Mrs. John Smith and entirely remove her name.  People began to change what they were doing and now this is not so common.  The language has become more gender-neutral.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31959 on: January 25, 2014, 05:06:39 pm »

I swear, the most ridiculous stories come out of UCLA.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31960 on: January 25, 2014, 05:09:22 pm »

Anyway, just to be clear, I really don't have an opinion either way.  I feel like the reporting wasn't detailed enough for me to actually understand what happened, and usually, in my experience, people with those sorts of complaints (out in real life, not, you know, tumblr) have at least something they were picking up on.  But because of the tilt of the article, I don't feel like I could determine what that was.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31961 on: January 25, 2014, 05:11:40 pm »

Probably just people not getting along, and using ideology as a vehicle to escalate the conflict. But yeah, that article was awfully shallow - there's no way to assign blame with that little information.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31962 on: January 25, 2014, 05:19:54 pm »

As always, it's a question of malice. It's incredibly hard to prove. But I don't know any of the statistical information about graduation rates or grading in relation to people of color in California. (Something a good article would have provided...)

But really, I have to give props to that student's refutation of their profession's correction. Aren't colleges supposed to train critical thinking skills to foster new thinking, and encourage rigorous debate? I'd say she's a fine product of that system.

The linked article in that one goes into more detail. Apparently a professor grabbed the arm of one student during a heated argument to calm it down, a gigantic no-no.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:25:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31963 on: January 25, 2014, 05:27:21 pm »

But really, I have to give props to that student's refutation of their profession's correction. Aren't colleges supposed to train critical thinking skills to foster new thinking, and encourage rigorous debate? I'd say she's a fine product of that system.
Only if there was an actual explanation of how that correction was ideologically based. And if there was one it wasn't reported on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31964 on: January 25, 2014, 05:35:20 pm »

Because using "indigenous" as a proper collective noun recognizes the collective experience of indigenous peoples in reference to colonialism.  That's what they're playing on--what once just meant "the people living here" has come to gain a group identity through common experiences of oppression.  Hence a collective proper noun, like you would for any culture forged of group experience.  It is a political decision, and I'm sure I'm explaining this badly but I can't find any references from an actual scholar of the subject at the moment.

Pages: 1 ... 2129 2130 [2131] 2132 2133 ... 3345