Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2125 2126 [2127] 2128 2129 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691050 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31890 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:29 am »

My own thinking is to let choices remain arbitrary but to model social outcomes in a similar manner to less abstract ones. For instance, you agree to go along with a convincing argument (against your initial judgment) for the same reason you agree to surrender to the barbarian punching you in the face with a bar stool - you know how it's going to end, so you'd rather skip the defeat and just get on to the consequences. Instead of a mechanic telling you "You give into the Diplomacy check", you have a mechanic telling you, "You have a few more points of willpower before you sort of curl up into a ball of self-doubt and confusion - maybe you should decide your character is convinced now."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31891 on: January 22, 2014, 01:41:30 am »

My own thinking is to let choices remain arbitrary but to model social outcomes in a similar manner to less abstract ones. For instance, you agree to go along with a convincing argument (against your initial judgment) for the same reason you agree to surrender to the barbarian punching you in the face with a bar stool - you know how it's going to end, so you'd rather skip the defeat and just get on to the consequences. Instead of a mechanic telling you "You give into the Diplomacy check", you have a mechanic telling you, "You have a few more points of willpower before you sort of curl up into a ball of self-doubt and confusion - maybe you should decide your character is convinced now."

I sort of see the reasoning, but especially "Being convinced" still somewhat baffles me. Going with those mechanics, someone can literally make your Character believe anything, or make you fall in love with them, if they gote certain Stats and skills. While this is more or less a "horror story" of bad games i've read about, I'm not sure if i'd be comfortable with a DM ruling that my Character now "believes X" or "loves Y", except if the effect was cause by Magic.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31892 on: January 22, 2014, 01:46:25 am »

No! They cannot make you believe anything. You can choose to resist as much as you like. When you hit 0, you don't agree, you've suffered emotional trauma from self-doubt or social mockery or what have you. You can still disagree, but at this point you're too inarticulate to voice that disagreement - you still control what you actually do, otherwise. You could run off to your room screaming, "I HATE YOU!" and slam the door, or walk out of a political debate, or break down sobbing, or whatever, but the argument is done. This is specifically to avoid the dice telling you how your character behaves or what they believe. Sorry that wasn't clear.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31893 on: January 22, 2014, 01:50:53 am »

No! They cannot make you believe anything. You can choose to resist as much as you like. When you hit 0, you don't agree, you've suffered emotional trauma from self-doubt or social mockery or what have you. You can still disagree, but at this point you're too inarticulate to voice that disagreement - you still control what you actually do, otherwise. You could run off to your room screaming, "I HATE YOU!" and slam the door, or walk out of a political debate, or break down sobbing, or whatever, but the argument is done. This is specifically to avoid the dice telling you how your character behaves or what they believe. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Ah, this makes much more sense then. I can see "breaking" from an argument, but actually changing substantial believes would've been too much. Thanks for clearing that up!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31894 on: January 22, 2014, 10:21:30 am »

One way to look at rolling for personality traits like that is to say the roll is your immediate reaction, and if you don't want to react that way you need to make a willpower roll for your reason and such (I.e how you the player want to react)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31897 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:40 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #31898 on: January 22, 2014, 02:20:48 pm »

Apparently the word bad is now homophobic.

you asked for the rage when you visited tumblr ladm8brosephski
quit victim blaming him you mega-shitlord
The particular repost makes me laugh. Good to see some of Tumblr has a brain.
Language evolves, you bundle of sticks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:32:04 pm by Octobomb »
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31899 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:41 pm »

So we're okay with slurs so long as they're repurposed?

Man I'm always on the language evolves bandwagon and "gay" in particular being used for "bad" I'll often defend that some people use out of ignorance, but c'mon.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31900 on: January 22, 2014, 02:31:37 pm »

And why wouldn't you be? If you repurpose a slur it dilutes its original meaning and makes those who use it as a slur become outdated.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31901 on: January 22, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »

Man I'm always on the language evolves bandwagon and "gay" in particular being used for "bad" I'll often defend that some people use out of ignorance, but c'mon.
If the person had actually done more than 3 seconds of research, they could no doubt have read further down the page on the etymology dictionary and found that the accusation of "bad" being a slur is likely inaccurate.
bad (adj.) Look up bad at Dictionary.com
    c.1200, "inferior in quality;" early 13c., "wicked, evil, vicious," a mystery word with no apparent relatives in other languages.* Possibly from Old English derogatory term bæddel and its diminutive bædling "effeminate man, hermaphrodite, pederast," probably related to bædan "to defile." A rare word before 1400, and evil was more common in this sense until c.1700. Meaning "uncomfortable, sorry" is 1839, American English colloquial.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31902 on: January 22, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »

@MSH
Because connotation doesn't wipe away that easily.

You can say whatever you want and mean it in a completely non-vulgar way, but if you do so without considering how others will interpret what you say, you're a fool. Communication is two-way.

@Grak
My interpretation of the original link was satirizing people who don't like the word "gay" being used in place of "bad."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31903 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »

I didn't say you shouldn't consider the cognition of others, but communication remains a game of degrees and alterations.
No Gods, No Masters.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31904 on: January 22, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »

Im guilty of this, altough I think its best explained by Louis CK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

It...just enver meant that for me, and English isnt even my native language. Active tries to ban it from my vocabulary failed miserably, as I just keep coming back to it.
Pages: 1 ... 2125 2126 [2127] 2128 2129 ... 3345