Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2119 2120 [2121] 2122 2123 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692734 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31800 on: January 19, 2014, 04:22:19 am »

RTD master race :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31801 on: January 19, 2014, 04:42:02 am »

Third mission of the Starcraft Zerg campaign. HE HAS AS MANY SIEGE TANKS AS I HAVE ZERGLINGS WHYYYYYYY!? At least, he had more than ten of the things. Also near-infinite resources because AI, and a near-perfectly defensible position.
I had to look up a strategy guide to win (which I've never had to before) and then the way to win is to spam mutalisks (like, he defeated the first wave of twenty-four). Sigh.

Are you playing on some crazy difficulty? I don't remember the zerg campaign having any difficulties at all... was way easier than wings of liberty imo.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #31802 on: January 19, 2014, 08:18:05 am »

Third mission of the Starcraft Zerg campaign. HE HAS AS MANY SIEGE TANKS AS I HAVE ZERGLINGS WHYYYYYYY!? At least, he had more than ten of the things. Also near-infinite resources because AI, and a near-perfectly defensible position.
I had to look up a strategy guide to win (which I've never had to before) and then the way to win is to spam mutalisks (like, he defeated the first wave of twenty-four). Sigh.
You probably didn't turtle in a mission where you could do so :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31803 on: January 19, 2014, 11:35:06 am »

I just realized I have to learn the fucking qualitative inorganic chemistry. Again. For the third time. And that makes me very, very, very angry.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31804 on: January 19, 2014, 11:59:12 am »

I just realized I have to learn the fucking qualitative inorganic chemistry. Again. For the third time. And that makes me very, very, very angry.
Geh. Nearly failed that too, because of my inability to count my toes twice without getting different results. But why for the third time? Tellmetellme.

EDIT: Oh, you said qualitative, not quantitive. Sorry. No such division where I am.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:01:01 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31805 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:12 pm »

Geh. Nearly failed that too, because of my inability to count my toes twice without getting different results. But why for the third time? Tellmetellme.

I'm having three Inorganic Chemistry tests this semester, each having more topics on top of what was on the previous one, with the last one this Tuesday.

And so I've memorized that crap twice, then proceeded to completely forget most of that because it's neither interesting nor useful nor used by me after we've finished doing that during the exercises, and will never use that again except on that test.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31806 on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:13 pm »

I'm having three Inorganic Chemistry tests this semester, each having more topics on top of what was on the previous one, with the last one this Tuesday.

And so I've memorized that crap twice, then proceeded to completely forget most of that because it's neither interesting nor useful nor used by me after we've finished doing that during the exercises, and will never use that again except on that test.
Ah, yes. I remember our inorganic chemistry teacher - he was a nice guy, but very old and slightly deaf, so lessons were mostly like "here, memorize this metric shit-ton of material for tomorrow's test, blah, can't hear you". I did badly at it, so I can certainly relate.
If it's in any way comforting, you should know that it gets better with organic chemistry - more logic, less memorization.
But what's "qualitative" chemistry? Is it another way of saying analytical chemistry, or a general term for parts of inorganic chem which don't involve any counting?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31807 on: January 19, 2014, 12:38:15 pm »

Ah, yes. I remember our inorganic chemistry teacher - he was a nice guy, but very old and slightly deaf, so lessons were mostly like "here, memorize this metric shit-ton of material for tomorrow's test, blah, can't hear you". I did badly at it, so I can certainly relate.
If it's in any way comforting, you should know that it gets better with organic chemistry - more logic, less memorization.
But what's "qualitative" chemistry? Is it another way of saying analytical chemistry, or a general term for parts of inorganic chem which don't involve any counting?

Analytical is both qualitative and quantitive, depending on what are you doing. Qualitative measures WHAT do you have, quantitive how MUCH of something you have.

I actually have Organic as well, and it actually is better. I remember the proseminar on carbonyl compounds: 'This carbon atom is electrophilic (because stuff). So, it reacts with things that are nucleophiles react with it. So, for example: (list of reactions I was told to memorize because they simply react with that and ask no questions in high school).

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31808 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:49 pm »

Analytical is both qualitative and quantitive, depending on what are you doing. Qualitative measures WHAT do you have, quantitive how MUCH of something you have.

I actually have Organic as well, and it actually is better. I remember the proseminar on carbonyl compounds: 'This carbon atom is electrophilic (because stuff). So, it reacts with things that are nucleophiles react with it. So, for example: (list of reactions I was told to memorize because they simply react with that and ask no questions in high school).
Yes, I'm aware of the general distinction. It's just that we have Inorganic, Organic, and Practical chemistry lessons. On practical, we have qualitative analysis, which is probably the most fun subject for me, and quantitative analysis, which is boring-ass titration. And orgo and inorganic are exactly what it says on the tin. I was just slightly confuzzled there, is all.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31809 on: January 19, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »

Yes, I'm aware of the general distinction. It's just that we have Inorganic, Organic, and Practical chemistry lessons. On practical, we have qualitative analysis, which is probably the most fun subject for me, and quantitative analysis, which is boring-ass titration. And orgo and inorganic are exactly what it says on the tin. I was just slightly confuzzled there, is all.

Ah, we have just In- and Organic with Practical classes for both (although for Organic it starts next semester and In ends this one). I find titration fucking terrifying, it's simple in theory, simple in execution, nothing exciting happens, but you miss one single bloody droplet and your result is off. Or the solution decides to fuck with you, and your results are a whole mililiter off, because fuck your free time. Or the indicator blocks.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31810 on: January 19, 2014, 01:05:20 pm »

"Hey boss, where do we pick up our snow chains for route X?"
"Go to truck stop Y, they have them."
*goto Y*
"Hi, I'm here to pick up some chains for route X? I work for company Z."
"Nah, company Z picks up their chains from stop W, about 25 miles back the way you came."
>:( "

...I wish winter were over. Or I was back in California. One of the two :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31811 on: January 19, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »

-quote pyramid-
Yeeeeessssss. And God help you if you have no color vision, or if your teacher has different opinions on color names. I mean, we used methyl-orange for our titrations, usually, and it's supposed to turn a color our teacher termed "tea-rose" upon neutralization. Which it isn't. I know what a tea-rose looks like.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31812 on: January 19, 2014, 02:04:55 pm »

-quote pyramid-
Yeeeeessssss. And God help you if you have no color vision, or if your teacher has different opinions on color names. I mean, we used methyl-orange for our titrations, usually, and it's supposed to turn a color our teacher termed "tea-rose" upon neutralization. Which it isn't. I know what a tea-rose looks like.

It might depend on concentration sometimes. But yeah, it's painful.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31813 on: January 19, 2014, 02:14:04 pm »

LOL....

I am reminded of my intro to chemistry class, where they taught how to perform titrations and such in preparation for more advanced chem.

The lab was the usual "Detect if starch is present by using iodine" type setup that I was already very familiar with.

The problem?  The TAs had incorrectly produced the starch solution, and it was in the parts per BILLION, instead of parts per MILLION level of concentration. A single drop of iodine was enough to completely overwhelm any color change.

I ended up having to hunt down a needle, dip the needle in the iodine, and gently stir with it to get the purple color that was intended. :D (and it was REALLY faint.)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31814 on: January 19, 2014, 02:16:53 pm »

Ingenuity is how you know you are learning.
Pages: 1 ... 2119 2120 [2121] 2122 2123 ... 3345