Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693713 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31740 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:42 am »

My android phone sucks, and ate a line that I had to edit to put back in.

There is nothing wrong with cooking in the oven.
There is something wrong with playing in the oven when you aren't rying to cook something, even with oven mitts on.

That was the point.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31741 on: January 17, 2014, 01:42:09 am »

-snip-
There was no edit while I was typing my response. I feel no remorse. >:[!!!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31742 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:27 am »

Willfor:

So, you are saying that kids are not rational enough to make the decision, because the basis of their decision is based on being rebellious for the sake of being rebellious?

How does that in any way support the notion that they are able to make a rational choice about sex again? By that line of reasoning, we should be flat out lieing to them about contraceptives and the efficacy birth control, because telling them the truth will result in their rejecting the information outright.

Again, and I stress this MOST earnestly--

We give sex ed to kids, for the sake of those that will listen, and make use of the message. Not those that are unwilling to listen, because no amount of telling them will have any impact.

Since we are strictly *already* talking about reaching the kids that *will* listen, we should give them a message that is more in their interests than "you don't have to say yes", and instead say "You should say NO."

Why not tell them to use contraception? :S

Oh for the love of.....

Look.  Go back 2 pages.

Read what I have written.

Come back when you can stop jumping to conclusions.

I don't mean this to be mean, I am just getting tired of rebutting this every time the page counter goes +1.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:50:02 am by wierd »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31743 on: January 17, 2014, 02:21:11 am »

Oh yay this can of worms..,

Aaand everything I'd have brought up is brought up here...

Story?

My sex ed(note this was last year in a magnet -very loosely- school) was 'DON'T HAVE SEX BEFORE MARRAIGE OR YOUR PENIS WILL TURN BLUE AND IT WILL FALL OFF' then 'Here have some STD pictures'

Sure there were tests but it ends up like this:

What type of STD is Syphillis.

What type of STD is Ghonoreria.

What type of STD is Herpes.

And of course I'd been self educating myself on important things so I've not really lost anything from the terrible education sooo yeah :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31744 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:10 am »

My android phone sucks, and ate a line that I had to edit to put back in.

There is nothing wrong with cooking in the oven.
There is something wrong with playing in the oven when you aren't rying to cook something, even with oven mitts on.

That was the point.
So only sex for the purpose of procreation?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31745 on: January 17, 2014, 02:35:27 am »

What did I just get done saying about jumping to conclusions?

Yeesh.

NO.

More this:

"Do you think you could support a family right now? Lose all your free time, and instead invest it for the child you are risking the making of? No? Then you shouldn't be having sex."

I promote a position of being responsible, and making rational, and informed choices.

NOT a position for everyone to be purpetual virgins.
Not a position based on promoting ignorance.
NOT a position based on some perverse idea that people don't have sex for a variety of reasons completely unrelated to procreation.
And NOT a position based on whatever perverse strawman you can whip together.

I have no problem with sex for pleasure, when it is between adults who know what they are doing, and are in a position to hande the consequences of a failure of birth control.

Frankly, I have just about had it with people trying to lump me in with fundies. Ok?

Here is *exactly* what I advocate, once more, so you know for sure exactly what that is, so you won't jump to any more conclusions that I then have to refute over 3 pages of thread. Ok?

It is in the child's best interest to not have a baby, and have their bodies screwed up by beng pregnant at a young age.

It is in the child's best interest not to have a child support payment at the age of 16.

It is in the child's best interest that you tell them the whole truth, and not treat them like they are 5 years old. It is likewise important to instill in one's children the tools they need to make rational choices, and that the reason you are telling them to say no, is not because you hate them, or because you want sex all to yourself and want to deny them forever. Instead, you sit down, and tell them in no uncertain terms that until they are ready to deal with the possible consequences of an action, any action-- incuding sex, they should avoid doing that action, and that this is for THEIR interest, not yours.

Because you are being painfully and truthfully honest, you tell your kids everything there is to know about sex, about birth control, and the risks involved with getting abortions. Until the benefits outweigh the risks, it simply isn't smart to do that thing. WE DO NOT WITHOLD KNOWLEDGE FROM OUR KIDS. We approach our kids from the standpoint that they will be responsible adults. Not that they will stay 5 years old and innocent forever.

If the kid is gay, ask if they are ready to be in a relationship.  If they assert that they don't want a relationship, just the sex, and are gay, then ask if they are prepared to deal with possible stds from having an active sex life, and what preparations they have made. We don't ask these questions because of what is best for us. We ask because of what is best for them.

And yes. We do let them go when they are making mature decisions.

Even with all this, some kids aren't very smart, and only learn by being burned. This will always be the case, no matter how detailed and intricate your information you present to them is. We don't make this effort for these kids; they will do what they want to do no matter what. We do this for the kids that will listen, understand, and make better, more informed choices.

Asserting that all kids will belong to this latter group is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If all kids refused to listen, there would be no advantage to providing the information at all.  You can't hold this view, and rationally expect sex ed to be effective.

We shouldn't give kids a permissive message like "You don't have to say yes." We should give them a message more rooted in reality: "If you aren't able to support kids, or can't accept that being sexually promiscuous can make you sick for life, and fully understand the costs and risks, then you should always say no."

Again, we don't do this because sex out of wedlock makes baby jesus cry.
We don't do it because we have some perverse view that sex is only for making babies.

We do it because having sex can ruin their lives.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:03:01 am by wierd »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31746 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:28 am »

"Do you think you could support a family right now? Lose all your free time, and instead invest it for the child you are risking the making of? No? Then you shouldn't be having sex."
That still limits the pool of people who 'should' be having sex to people who want to have a child.
And then your argument based on birth control not being 100% effective still doesn't account for sexual acts where the chance of pregnancy is zero.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31747 on: January 17, 2014, 02:59:18 am »

Guys drop the subject its getting a bit too far.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31748 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:59 am »

See edit, and I agree with tellemurius.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31749 on: January 17, 2014, 03:16:01 am »

I'm not even sure what you are arguing about (edit: that really goes for eferyone in the argument right now) if that is your standpoint, weird, because what you're saying now is extremely far from the points in the discussion-sparking article.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31750 on: January 17, 2014, 03:18:41 am »

The point in the article, albeit horribly naive and wrong headed in conception, was that "there is enough sex ed already."

What started this while strawman burning competition was that I said I have mixed feelings about that message.

Like all medicines, there comes a point where more is not better.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31751 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:45 am »

There is enough sex ed in some places, other places not so much. I also think that sex ed should be spread out throughout someone's education, so that they aren't learning it all in one big lump.

In other news I finally got my Hearthstone key, and now it's downloading at around 13kb/s. Meanwhile Steam can download at around 3mb/s, so I'm not sure why this is taking so long.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31752 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:23 am »

Sex is great. More people should have it, and we should encourage them to do it as safely as possible. STDs and unwanted pregnancies are no fun.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31753 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01:40 pm »

:S You live in one idealised universe bro. That's not gonna work on 99% of people.

More education + contraception = yes

More abstinence 'education' = haha no thanks, it just leads to teenagers getting together being all "LET'S DO THIS" "wait i dont have a-" "HAHA WHO CARES" "HAHA OK"

then baby appears
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:03:41 pm by Caz »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31754 on: January 17, 2014, 12:08:22 pm »

Just to reiterate something that came up a long time ago, usually when someone unrelated to the discussion pipes up and says it's time to quit, it's usually time to quit. Tell counted, and, well, it's in huge red letters in the first post. Continued discussion probably best taken to PMs or a dedicated thread, et al.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2115 2116 [2117] 2118 2119 ... 3345