Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2109 2110 [2111] 2112 2113 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694952 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FICO ME? I FICO YOU!!! Edition
« Reply #31650 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »

There is a bit of an epidemic with "bad behavior" with teens here, at least in some areas.

For instance, there are endless radio adverts for a behavioral modification program created and endorsed by "behavioral therapist Dr Janet Leeman" who wants to send you her free DVD to help you curb the behaviors of your teen. (So you can try it totally risk free, and if you don't like it, can keep the whole thing! All they want to know is how well it worked for you!)

Seriously, I hear the advert for that crap every day. Here's an idea-- if your child is being defiant, or oppositional, maybe you should ask the child questions about why they are clearly so unhappy, and actually work with them?

No. That can't be it. We have to "totally transform" them.

I always mock the advert when I hear it, saying they want to send you a free mind control kit.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31651 on: January 15, 2014, 10:41:16 pm »

This.

It would be far easier to go to Mexico, anyways. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31652 on: January 15, 2014, 11:20:52 pm »

This.

Detroit may be closer, depending.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31653 on: January 15, 2014, 11:58:02 pm »

This.

I meant 1984 Oceania. Sorry, should've clarified. :/
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31654 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:45 pm »

That reminds me of the things my mom would tell me. You can never really be 100% on whether my mom is telling the truth or not though, so I had my doubts. But she described that very well.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31655 on: January 16, 2014, 02:49:58 am »

It's the same thing as "re-birthing". It's parents who have no idea how to parent, who don't want to work anymore, who want a quick fix, and who are desperately gullible. Possibly, parents who no longer wish to be parents. It's hard to believe that a parent would do that unless they were seriously delusional and/or malevolent.

As a generous man I'll assume they're batshit until they prove malfeasance.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31656 on: January 16, 2014, 03:48:21 am »

Quote pyramid
So I understand the rage, but did you guys seriously not know this happened? Don't tell me this is all new to you.
Pretty sure most of us are already familiar with it, it's just one of those things. Like how millions of people died in WWI essentially because nationalism, but you can still be pissed off anew every time you think about it.

At least this is very slightly less evil than that racket up in New England with the for-profit child jails conspiring with judges to sentence as many children to them as possible, if only because the government is just passively corrupt, rather than actively corrupt (taking bribes to not act, rather than taking bribes to act).
I fail to see how that is any better.
It's splitting hairs. Like, for example, how Stalin killed millions of people because he was a brutal dictator, as opposed to Hitler, who killed millions of people because he was a brutal dictator who also happened to have an unhealthy attachment to pseudoscience. Fifty million shades of evil, each with a hairsbreadth of separation between themselves and their neighbors.

Stalin also had an unhealthy attachment to pseudoscience. Genetics (and computer science, IIRC) were banned in Stalin's years, and instead a certain little absurd thing known as Lysenkoism was promoted.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31657 on: January 16, 2014, 03:58:41 am »

He also at one point tried to breed a new breed of supersoldier by crossbreeding apes and humans.
Didn't work out that well.
Sig! Onol

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31658 on: January 16, 2014, 07:52:24 am »

Quote pyramid
So I understand the rage, but did you guys seriously not know this happened? Don't tell me this is all new to you.
I'd genuinely never heard of it.

Now, lets see... In DF, I supported... effectively this.

Then in real life, I find it abhorrent.

FUCK YOU TOO, MEDIA!

I sorta recognized this as a thing, but if this is really true I am now much better informed. The stripping of freedom involved and the absurdity of the methods used really pisses me off  >:(
I mean even 'smart' people can still believe in (terribly) wrong ideas, but the fact that people in government have seen this and continue to allow this to happen really shows something, doesn't it...
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31659 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:08 am »

This.

Detroit may be closer, depending.
The problem with that is that it requires you to find someone in Detroit to be kidnapped by.

Quote pyramid
Pretty sure most of us are already familiar with it, it's just one of those things. Like how millions of people died in WWI essentially because nationalism, but you can still be pissed off anew every time you think about it.

At least this is very slightly less evil than that racket up in New England with the for-profit child jails conspiring with judges to sentence as many children to them as possible, if only because the government is just passively corrupt, rather than actively corrupt (taking bribes to not act, rather than taking bribes to act).
I fail to see how that is any better.
It's splitting hairs. Like, for example, how Stalin killed millions of people because he was a brutal dictator, as opposed to Hitler, who killed millions of people because he was a brutal dictator who also happened to have an unhealthy attachment to pseudoscience. Fifty million shades of evil, each with a hairsbreadth of separation between themselves and their neighbors.

Stalin also had an unhealthy attachment to pseudoscience. Genetics (and computer science, IIRC) were banned in Stalin's years, and instead a certain little absurd thing known as Lysenkoism was promoted.
Even finer distinctions, then. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31660 on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:08 am »

Lysenkoism is based on Lamarckian genetics. Basically, the idea is that literally everything is hereditary, all the way down to a particular fondness for blue cheese dressing or whatever.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31661 on: January 16, 2014, 11:35:21 am »

That reminds me of the things my mom would tell me. You can never really be 100% on whether my mom is telling the truth or not though, so I had my doubts. But she described that very well.

Say what? Have your mother threatened to send you to such a place?
Love, scriver~

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #31662 on: January 16, 2014, 11:51:14 am »

It's shocking that the kind of camp that was depicted in the nvlovel Holes actually exists.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31663 on: January 16, 2014, 12:03:11 pm »

Well, apart from the ancient curse on the lake and all that.
Sig! Onol

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31664 on: January 16, 2014, 12:03:41 pm »

It's shocking that the kind of camp that was depicted in the nvlovel Holes actually exists.
Not really, in the novel the camp gets shut down in the end :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 2109 2110 [2111] 2112 2113 ... 3345