Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2082 2083 [2084] 2085 2086 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699128 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: At The Speed Of RAGE Edition
« Reply #31245 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:31 pm »

You guys know that article is several years old, yeah? That whole article is on an event from 2006, and was probably written around that time. Doesn't make it right, of course, but here's even more information for you, and it gets even more disturbing. From 2010.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31246 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:12 pm »

One, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE THEY LETTING HER KEEP THAT BABY?
Because she still gets to control her reproductive system.
Just because she controls her reproductive system doesn't mean she isn't violating effectively every societal standard regarding child abuse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31247 on: January 08, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »

Also, I'm just gonna come out and say it: sex ed in middle school when average menarche comes at 9 is ridiculous.
All the sources I'm finding say ~12 years old.

Nevertheless I definitely agree sex ed should come sooner. Really should annihilate the idea that sex should be hidden and taboo, especially to children. Kids are going into this stuff blind because their parents want to preserve their "innocence" or somesuch bullshit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31248 on: January 08, 2014, 09:55:44 pm »

One, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE THEY LETTING HER KEEP THAT BABY?

Because she still gets to control her reproductive system.

Also, I'm just gonna come out and say it: sex ed in middle school when average menarche comes at 9 is ridiculous.
Oh, certainly. And even if that's not quite the case(as Kai said), there're still plenty of reasons to teach sex ed early on.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31249 on: January 08, 2014, 10:01:05 pm »

Sorry--I was mixing it up with puberty, i.e. breast budding.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31250 on: January 08, 2014, 10:02:43 pm »

Nevertheless I definitely agree sex ed should come sooner. Really should annihilate the idea that sex should be hidden and taboo, especially to children. Kids are going into this stuff blind because their parents want to preserve their "innocence" or somesuch bullshit.

It was 9 when I was 9, I know that for sure.  You don't forget when it starts in the middle of a class.  I've recently read that the age is getting lower.  I think it's something like 7 or 8 in some cases.  It's not normal to start that early, but it happens.

Telling kids that they "private parts" that they shouldn't share doesn't work.  I know people that were sexually active before they were 10.  I saw more "private parts" before that age than I saw in high school.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31251 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:59 pm »

Yeah.  16% by 7, 30% by 8.

Hell, I remember a couple of kids going up in the loft and showing each other their bits when I was, what, 11?  And hell, I'm old.  Who knows what kids nowadays are up to.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31252 on: January 08, 2014, 10:12:04 pm »

Man, I must have gone to all the boring grade schools. I don't even remember hearing about this sort of thing, and I doubt I'm much older than Vector O_o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31253 on: January 08, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »

I did something like that with some neighborhood kids at like, 10.

Who knows what kids nowadays are up to.
You see, cell phones these days have these nice cameras....
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31254 on: January 08, 2014, 10:21:44 pm »

Science Fair last night.
Sitting in folding chair holding onto 2l Mtn. Dew.
Girl I really like walks up to me to ask a question.
Completely derp out and spill soda all over my pants.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31255 on: January 08, 2014, 10:22:07 pm »

The study I remember -- mind you, this was 2001-ish, haven't kept up on it -- links it to our current lifestyle. Puberty in chickens is advanced to a younger age by exposure to quality light for hours longer than they'd get in nature, and the same process might be active in humans. Or it could be all the hormones in our food. Or something. I don't know, don't take my post as fact.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31256 on: January 08, 2014, 10:26:54 pm »

Damn, I miss my grade school and high school science fairs. Some group usually does an experiment with chickens.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31257 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:39 pm »

The study I remember -- mind you, this was 2001-ish, haven't kept up on it -- links it to our current lifestyle. Puberty in chickens is advanced to a younger age by exposure to quality light for hours longer than they'd get in nature, and the same process might be active in humans. Or it could be all the hormones in our food. Or something. I don't know, don't take my post as fact.
S'also been the suggestion of just plain more/better food/health, outright.

And then there's flat individual variation. I got hit a few years before the average, m'self (first dreams et al around 9), without much in the way of what's suggested as general accelerating influences. Multiple variable issue is multiple variable issue, basically. It's unlikely there's any single major influence. There's likely a host of them, then gods only know how many minor ones. As it is with most things, really...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31258 on: January 08, 2014, 10:38:18 pm »

I think I've found all of tumblr compressed into one image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31259 on: January 08, 2014, 10:40:15 pm »

Group projects nooooooooo. Although, I only had one really bad one. In cooking class, we were assigned to groups, and I got the short end of the stick. I was the only one with extensive cooking experience, plus the others were the type to skip. And skip they did. For the final project, we had to cook a meal for some judges. By that time, the "group" I was in was more of a pair. Then, on the day we cooked, he didn't show. Surprise surprise, I would up cooking the whole meal myself. Turned out better than expected, because I usually cook by myself anyway, so marks wise, I did great, it's just I felt a bit betrayed. Dammit man, you made it through the last month fine. Ah well. What's past is past, and dwelling on it ain't gonna help.

Fakeedit: I understood none of that.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 2082 2083 [2084] 2085 2086 ... 3345