Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2062 2063 [2064] 2065 2066 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3699096 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30945 on: December 31, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »

If it makes you feel any better: I think most people with curly hair look bad.
* kaijyuu agrees that curly hair generally looks bad.

No offense :(
:'(
I can't help it! It's either stick with the curly mess it is or use enough chemicals to require a HazMat endorsement in order to keep it tame!

* LordSlowpoke notes down "Hair is accurate representation of Xantalos" in the lorebook.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. Unlike Xantalos, my hair only exists in the standard four dimensions.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30946 on: December 31, 2013, 04:13:01 pm »

I can't help it! It's either stick with the curly mess it is or use enough chemicals to require a HazMat endorsement in order to keep it tame!
* kaijyuu pats on back.

Hair is but a small thing. Worry not; we still like you :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30947 on: December 31, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »

* kaijyuu pats on back.

Hair is but a small thing. Worry not; we still like you :)

Hair can be a big thing. :v

Curly hair is pretty cool, but I might just be saying that because my first crush was a curly-haired redhead.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30948 on: December 31, 2013, 04:30:38 pm »

Hair can be a big thing. :v
Well, if you're talking literally, sure. In terms of how big a deal it is, it doesn't matter much except for certain physical activities (swimming etc), and maybe for a fictional character's design.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30949 on: December 31, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »

Self-deprecation is an oft used strategy to head criticism off at the pass. On the other hand, too much of it and you basically send the message YOU think you're incompetent.
Man, the fun thing is when you're aware that you are incompetent, but your level of incompetency is still several times more competent than the level of competency possessed by everyone else involved with whatever you're doing.

It is a terrible feeling, to have people looking up(ish) and praising you when you don't actually have any idea what the blue bloody hell you're doing, you're just apparently better at operating in that situation than everyone else.

There's no real gentle way to say, "No, I'm not good at this, you folks just really freaking suck." Especially when their level of capability is actually, like, average or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30950 on: December 31, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »

It is a terrible feeling, to have people looking up(ish) and praising you when you don't actually have any idea what the blue bloody hell you're doing, you're just apparently better at operating in that situation than everyone else.

Read as: every other day in tech support.

"Look, it's not that I'm that smart or that well-trained. It's just you have no fucking idea what you're doing, and you're unwilling to learn."
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 04:52:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30951 on: December 31, 2013, 04:48:14 pm »

Self-deprecation is an oft used strategy to head criticism off at the pass. On the other hand, too much of it and you basically send the message YOU think you're incompetent.
Man, the fun thing is when you're aware that you are incompetent, but your level of incompetency is still several times more competent than the level of competency possessed by everyone else involved with whatever you're doing.

There's no real gentle way to say, "No, I'm not good at this, you folks just really freaking suck." Especially when their level of capability is actually, like, average or something.
Maybe, just maybe, you're not incompetent, and are instead holding "competence" to too high a standard :P

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #30952 on: December 31, 2013, 05:40:50 pm »

Maybe, just maybe, you're not incompetent, and are instead holding "competence" to too high a standard :P
Maybe it's because everyone's idea of general competence is loosely based off their own experience of competence-ability. Everyone compares everyone else to themselves. More talented people have higher standards because it's become the norm for them to have such talents.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30953 on: December 31, 2013, 05:44:00 pm »

Nope. S'like... look. When you can't actually do what needs to be done in the situation. You are not competent. Everyone else involved being exponentially worse does not change that :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #30954 on: December 31, 2013, 06:32:10 pm »

Maybe it's because everyone's idea of general competence is loosely based off their own experience of competence-ability. Everyone compares everyone else to themselves. More talented people have higher standards because it's become the norm for them to have such talents.

Actually, people who aren't competent tend to overestimate their competence, and people who are - underestimate it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #30955 on: December 31, 2013, 07:43:50 pm »

Actually, people who aren't competent tend to overestimate their competence, and people who are - underestimate it.

I've heard something like that. People who are really bad at a thing can't recognize that they're bad at it, since it takes some skill to recognize how "bad" they are at it.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30956 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48:31 pm »

I was just gonna bring this up. I read about a study that described the process: you test people's maths skills by making them to math problems, then immediately ask how well they think they did.

Later you get the same people to do the same type of math, but different problems, after further instruction. Then you immediately ask each again how well they think they did.

Turns out, people who were bad at math were also bad at predicting their own ability, self-scoring with a huge error compared to the people who actually did better at the math and predicted their results more closely. At one point the people who were really good actually under-predicted their scores. And as people improved at the math, they improved at their predictive abilities in relation to math.

Which is to say, your ability to tell whether you suck is correlated with how much you suck at that thing. And the outcome is that generally people believe they're great at stuff and only actual testing will reveal the truth.

Although I hypothesize that, knowing the above, you could try to fix your self-assessment using an external reference, such as years spent working in a field or studying a topic and accounting for the years of rust since you stopped doing it. Possibly, assume you're bad at stuff that you haven't been assessed in until you actually get tested.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30957 on: December 31, 2013, 09:20:01 pm »

Like 4-5 hours of gameplay in Starbound didn't save for some reason.  I know it's a beta and there's going to be at least one more wipe soon anyway, but.... goddamn that's frustrating.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #30958 on: December 31, 2013, 10:38:35 pm »

-snip-

It's the Dunning-Kruger effect.

a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes. Actual competence may weaken self-confidence, as competent individuals may falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding. David Dunning and Justin Kruger conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30959 on: December 31, 2013, 10:41:05 pm »

There's also the aspect of it that someone who's competent knows enough to recognize that they don't know everything, and thus is less likely to assume that they can do whatever they need to, because they have a decent understanding of the bounds of their ability. You've got to include perception of the self on the part of the competent alongside perception of others; it's just as relevant, albeit for different reasons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2062 2063 [2064] 2065 2066 ... 3345