Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1984 1985 [1986] 1987 1988 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693389 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Justice Edition
« Reply #29775 on: November 24, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »

I'm an atheist and like christmas pretty much just as much as Janet. Though she's actually religious, still doesn't seem to factor into it much for her outside of some of the stuff she prays about being a little different.
It's not being an atheist so much as it is being an ex-Christian. While I obviously can't expect to get away from Christianity entirely living in the South, from Thanksgiving to New Years it goes from being comfortably in the background to exploding in my face and occasionally trying to re-assimilate me.

The boiling family conflict is the really bad part, though. We rarely openly talk about it, but it's there, and we all know it. It does not help at all that my family is almost perfectly split on religious issues, with my father's side and myself all some form of irreligious and my mother's side all some form of Christian. And being that I represent the new generation to them...
I also live in the south myself. I have never seen honest war on Christmas stuff anywhere besides fox news.
I'm surprised. I've seen it even in liberal enclaves like Raleigh.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29776 on: November 24, 2013, 08:50:01 pm »

That makes we wonder: how many Bay12ers do some kind of martial arts?

*raises hand*

Almost surprised it made it into the rage section then :P

I wasn't the one who posted it, LOL

This is possibly the best response ever to that kind of bullshit. 

Thank you!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #29777 on: November 24, 2013, 08:51:52 pm »

I don't like how people being 'religious' come off and attack those who choose not to be (in that manner) >_> Cause being that its against the basic principle of any religion to do such trivial things (instead of respecting other people's beliefs and all that). I'm religious here, and
Quote from: Every other person during November and December
I mean like, how dare people have fun around the holidays. It's not like you can celebrate them in your own way or anything. It's not like people can give holidays their own meaning. Nope, every person who ever celebrated Christmas, Thanksgiving etc. is just a mindless sheeple waiting to be liberated, and there is absolutely no way you can celebrate the holiday by spending time with your family. Either you're a consumerist brainwashed sheeple or you hate holidays just as much as I do.

That quote makes no sense at all. It comes off as 'WHY ARE YOU HAVING FUN DURING THE HOLIDAYS?! YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE FUN, BRAINWASHED SHEEPLE!'

In which I open a dictionary to find out what sheeple means. I can't find it. Must be one of those new fangled insult-neologisms? Or a metaphor relating to how people act like sheep following the crowd (which is real shallow).

tl;dr: I will never understand why people hate holidays. Christmas is awesome. Thanksgiving is awesome.

Many posts..per minute. O_o

We're one of the nicest, peacefulest places in the internet.
The only truly sane places are the places in which every madman can be a madman.

Because it scares sane people away, and sane people are violent. We're not. We're just violent towards video game characters.

*raises hand and points at Taekwondo*

Also no, not validating what they sent, your feelings, your actions, or anything else. That is just the only comment I really wanted to make.

Ah, I read it because I was enjoying the feeling of not giving a shit :D  Kind of weird thing to do, but yeah.  I was like "Oooh there's more stuff for me to enjoy not caring about!!  Let's open it <3"
...I can totally relate :D x3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29778 on: November 24, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »

I'm surprised. I've seen it even in liberal enclaves like Raleigh

You spend way too much time in illsmouth.

Oh yeah, at Neo's stuff...

IRL, I sometimes stand for encore. Mainly when the other person's acting like a three year old and I can (literally) laugh them off.

You are far tougher than I. I am far too sensitive to even stand to mild scrutiny. :P
Spending a large amount of school life being bullied helps you build a somewhat thick skin.

I had that too. :P

Though I was always sensitive.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #29779 on: November 24, 2013, 08:57:49 pm »

I'm surprised. I've seen it even in liberal enclaves like Raleigh.

Given you're identifying as ex-christian rather than athiest, and your family is christian. You're both exposed to it and actively looking for it I would guess. Around here Athiests are about as rare as water in the desert but I've never once seen any of that put christ in christmas crap, or anyone trying to convert me. Janet and her daughter once talked with me about it very calmly and we discussed different ideas and thoughts about Religion and atheism though. Which was a nice conversation.

I'm not sure if I count since Rozy's been teaching me boxing for a bit of a workout every so often, and she's pretty much a properly trained boxer thanks to her sister, and about as close to an actual swordfighter as you can get these days.

Just not sure if this is a specifically eastern martial arts thing, since I know people like to discount stuff like boxing and other things.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29780 on: November 24, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »

I don't like how people being 'religious' come off and attack those who choose not to be (in that manner) >_> Cause being that its against the basic principle of any religion to do such trivial things (instead of respecting other people's beliefs and all that). I'm religious here, and

Indeed. I often find myself pondering the hypocrisy of the Christians I work with. One cashier in particular, "Thank God Osama is dead! God truly delivered a miracle today!" (When we killed Osama Bin Laden.) My mother (An agnostic, like me.) asked, "Why are you thanking God that someone is dead? For one, doesn't the Bible say to forgive everyone no matter how serious they sinned against you, because only God can judge? And for another, doesn't God tell you to cherish ALL life?" The lady had no response to that.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #29781 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »

Now there's the problem with using expressions derived from context. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29782 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:15 pm »

They aren't exactly hypocritical as they don't really preach those values.

One thing to remember of people who prescribe to a religion is that most people are "Cafeteria Religious" as in they pick and chose what parts of their religion they like and do not like.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29783 on: November 24, 2013, 09:05:45 pm »

Now there's the problem with using expressions derived from context. :P

Are you referring to the things my mother said or the things the woman said? Because she was being quite literal about thanking god for the death of a man. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29784 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:37 pm »

Two posts were posted in the time it took to press the make new post button. Meine Gott.

For martial arts I'd count things like kick-boxing and the like. Boxing - maybe? That's a bit debatable, but most things a bit more trained than pub brawling.

I'm surprised. I've seen it even in liberal enclaves like Raleigh

You spend way too much time in illsmouth.

I read that as "Innsmouth" and briefly wondered if MSH was growing gills or something.

The problem is with taking cues form religious texts is that they often contradict themselves (Forgive your enemies. No, wait, kill them in the face. No wait, forgive them) , and reflect really, really old fashioned values (women are cattle, you're not permitted to eat clams, etc). As a moral guideline, it's best to make your own rather than follow and old book about it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29785 on: November 24, 2013, 09:08:51 pm »

Hrmm. Martial arts? Maybe a bit of swordsmanship, polearms, boxing, and good old street fighting.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29786 on: November 24, 2013, 09:14:13 pm »

Martial arts?
*raises appendage*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29787 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:01 pm »

Given you're identifying as ex-christian rather than athiest, and your family is christian. You're both exposed to it and actively looking for it I would guess. Around here Athiests are about as rare as water in the desert but I've never once seen any of that put christ in christmas crap, or anyone trying to convert me. Janet and her daughter once talked with me about it very calmly and we discussed different ideas and thoughts about Religion and atheism though. Which was a nice conversation.
I identify as atheist, I'm just clarifying that I was at one point a (rabidly devout) Christian, which tends to be a different experience from those who have never been religious. Only half the family is Christian, which is quite low indeed for the area (my father's side almost has a "tradition" of irreligion going back to my great-great grandmother, and everyone in that line who's been Christian has dropped it eventually. I'm pretty sure said great-great grandmother started it after she dropped Judaism following the Holocaust, but as she and I were not simultaneously alive at any point I can't know for sure).

I don't know, perhaps I'm just unlucky. Most of the Christians I know immediately go into "must save soul" mode when they find out anything about me not being One Of Them. It only gets worse if they press for the full story, which I'm not willing to hide.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:17:10 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29788 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17:46 pm »

Martial arts?
*raises appendage*

Maybe Cthulu should have learned kung-fu.

What martial art do you do?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29789 on: November 24, 2013, 09:24:36 pm »

Martial arts?
*raises appendage*

Maybe Cthulu should have learned kung-fu.

What martial art do you do?
Just karate.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1984 1985 [1986] 1987 1988 ... 3345