Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1962 1963 [1964] 1965 1966 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691837 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #29445 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:18 pm »

It's... unfortunate, but a super-devout baptist in the area MSH is in generally wouldn't be a proper test for such things. It's not an absolute thing, but as a general rule they're... not what you'd call theologically inclined? You usually don't get much in the watch of discussion. Just yelling and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29446 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:07 pm »

Perhaps not so much. He's a non-Southern Baptist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29447 on: November 14, 2013, 10:09:22 pm »

Ooh. Yeah, you might have better luck with that. I roomed with a fairly devout fellow from Michigan (homeschooled, even!) during one of my semesters and... it was pretty decent. Alright dude, would room again. Don't recall what denomination he was, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #29448 on: November 14, 2013, 10:11:13 pm »

Ooh. Yeah, you might have better luck with that. I roomed with a fairly devout fellow from Michigan (homeschooled, even!) during one of my semesters and... it was pretty decent. Alright dude, would room again. Don't recall what denomination he was, though.

I've got a very Baptist suitemate who's imbibed a little too much of Waiting for a Christian Marriage. Didn't I tell y'all about the voodoo doll about a month ago?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29449 on: November 14, 2013, 10:24:50 pm »

"Those who practice <WORD> long to return to their natural roots, casting off human frailty for the strength and simple perspective of the wilds."

I can't change the sentence structure to match, mind you, because the word's most important function is to serve as a category name. Maybe I should use Savagery here and come up with a different name for the overall group, but that'll require me to come up with a similarly broad word that evokes primal-stuff.

EDIT: Hmmm... Ferocity. Might be workable here, or as the upper level of organization, letting me shift Savagery down here. A thousand praises for reminding me it exists! Pity ferine has the same problem as feral.
I'd say you should use ferality or ferinity. So what if they isn't technically words yet? The words "positronic" "psychohistory" and fricking "robotics" weren't actually words until Isaac Asimov coined them. So long as people can easily derive the meaning of your new word from the word it's made from, you won't be committing some great sin against the English language.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29450 on: November 15, 2013, 12:51:19 am »

Magic is trying to tell me something. I have now pulled 5 copies of Anger of the Gods and 4 of Temple of Deceit. I don't know what I did to anger the RNG, but I am starting to internalize the degree to which I've been deceived into playing a lottery.
You mean you pulled them from a booster, or do you use Magic for divination?
The former, although I'm drawing conclusions about the game's feelings toward me as though I were performing divination. Arguably, boosters are just a really expensive form of Tarot. Gotta stop buying them, I know it's monetarily inefficient, but they're so much fun. And, as a hobby I never intend to win anything from, it's all frivolously spent money anyway. Except they're not much fun in Theros, apparently.
I usually take Magic cards to exams for luck. For example, to my Physical Chemistry exam I took Galvanic Alchemist, Chemister's Trick, and Thoughtflare.
And the word "ferinity" sounds slightly retarded. "Ferality", however, is better.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29451 on: November 15, 2013, 12:56:51 am »

"Ferality", however, is better.
... though it is somewhat suggestive of Mortal Kombat >_>

Maybe that's a plus? Baug's whuzzits could have animalities!

E: ... and now I'm imagining a God of... Dramatic Timing, maybe? That just kinda' floats about and pauses time occasionally to shout "FINISH HIM" and let the combat's victor do their finishing blow(s).

That honestly sounds like the sort of jackassery a divine would get up to.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:59:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29452 on: November 15, 2013, 01:02:44 am »

I'm keeping a log of notes for the wacky alt-canon that needs to exist to accommodate brilliant, wonderful, but altogether silly stuff like Skeletrons. That goes on the list.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29453 on: November 15, 2013, 01:08:01 am »

So I just found out that my current choices for college are pretty much limited to:
1) Take classes this upcoming summer (which will hopefully be available)
2) Take a fifth year of classes
Neither of which will be covered by my scholarship.

This is because last year the university decided to change their writing requirement (which you have to take prior to being able to do your year-long "capstone" project that you need to graduate) from an english class to a new specialized engineering class. They failed to account for the simple fact that by requiring every single engineering junior in the entire school to take the class that they wouldn't have enough bloody classes available. As such unless I get very lucky or they decide to miraculously open more sections (which their emails have expressed is pretty unlikely), then I'm just shit out of luck. They have said "there will be a single course of it offered this upcoming summer", however from what I've heard from talking to other juniors it seems like something like 1/3-1/2 of the juniors are facing the same problem as me, so there's a fair chance that even the summer class is going to fill up really fast.

I find it really aggravating when universities suggest that you take a required class in a given year, have estimates of approximately how many students they have that would be taking it, and then don't make enough classes for them all to take it.

Also why the heck is the university add/drop classes and course catalogs giving me classes that are either:
1) Not offered at all
2) Not offered in the term I have selected
For goodness sake it would take like 10 seconds to add a automatic filter to the list that removes those classes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29454 on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:28 am »

-snip-

Also why the heck is the university add/drop classes and course catalogs giving me classes that are either:
1) Not offered at all
For goodness sake it would take like 10 seconds to add a automatic filter to the list that removes those classes.

Reminds me of how finding a bus route in high school is. Every single bus and bus route IN THE DISTRICT is on a list, which isn't too bad in itself, but is kinda irritating. It's a PDF file, too, so you can't even Ctrl + F for your street name to see if it's there.

They could at least separate AM bus routes and PM bus routes into separate documents, and NOT MAKE IT A STUPID PDF.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29455 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:52 am »

Thankfully Google Maps is pretty good at giving you (nearly always) the best route via public transit.

I haven't had to touch offical bus schedules in years! Except to check fare for GO transit. Not exactly the same thing though.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29456 on: November 15, 2013, 01:32:53 am »

-snip-

1) Not offered at all

Reminds me of how finding a bus route in high school is. Every single bus and bus route IN THE DISTRICT is on a list, which isn't too bad in itself, but is kinda irritating. It's a PDF file, too, so you can't even Ctrl + F for your street name to see if it's there.

They could at least separate AM bus routes and PM bus routes into separate documents, and NOT MAKE IT A STUPID PDF.
You mean one of those PDFs where they've converted the text to an image? 'Cause it's perfectly possible to search PDFs if they've been formatted properly.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29457 on: November 15, 2013, 01:46:35 am »

-snip-

1) Not offered at all

You mean one of those PDFs where they've converted the text to an image? 'Cause it's perfectly possible to search PDFs if they've been formatted properly.
I remember Ctrl + F not working, so yeah.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29458 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:52 am »

Youtube rage: A lot of videos seem to have lost quality settings above 360p, for no apparent reason. What the hell happened?

EDIT: Seem to have fixed it by nixing the default server and forcing it to use a different, apparently less-overloaded one. A common fix for throttling problems, which I was also having. This leads me to suspect that Youtube's ever-growing hatred of letting people buffer things and then watch them has led them to just flat-out hide higher video qualities than it has decided you can handle.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:41:26 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29459 on: November 15, 2013, 02:08:52 am »

-snip-

1) Not offered at all

I remember Ctrl + F not working, so yeah.
Yeah, checking it, a properly formatted PDF can be Ctrl + F searched  both in browser (or at least Chrome, but I assume it works just as well with other browsers) and in Adobe Reader. What I think is likely though is that the schedule was made in some sort of image editing program or something where there wasn't any text data around when they saved or converted it, since the people who made it probably didn't realize that someone might want to be able to search the document or maybe just didn't care.
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1962 1963 [1964] 1965 1966 ... 3345