Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702472 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #29040 on: November 01, 2013, 03:46:01 pm »

Fuck. One of the lights displays was blown over the edge of the bridge it was near. It also has to be one of the heaviest and most awkward one of them all. I'll post some pictures on Monday so the situation becomes clearer, but it fell at least 15 feet straight down onto a rock pile. And, because its been raining almost non-stop, the rocks are slippery as hell. So here we have a heavy chunk of steel at the bottom of a fifteen foot sheer drop. The way down is covered in rocks, at around a 65 to 70 degree angle, and slippery as fuck. So we can't bring it up that way. Our boss tells us to tie rope to the thing and haul it up. Well, one rope stretches like a fucking bungee cord, there are only four of us hauling on the ropes, and the display catches on the rocks in the wall. In other words, it's going nowhere fast and we need to get the tractor out here. By this time it's too late to work because they don't want to pay us overtime, so it is going to sit there all weekend, and we'll get it Monday, and if it isn't there, I'll congratulate the people who did it, because that is one hell of a job.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29041 on: November 02, 2013, 11:03:50 am »

Work. While I shouldn't be complaining, I don't appreciate much having two more hours to work on a Friday, and being informed of this on a Friday. And I'm also being required to work overtime all next week, for which I damn well better be paid overtime rate(my current schedule is 26 hours, though).

Also, Christians. While I'll certainly keep comments that run afoul of the forum rules to myself, it pisses me off when someone preaching on the bus starts talking shit about the neighborhood I live in(it's not perfect, but not bad enough to warrant what was said) and then claim that he's the one being persecuted.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29042 on: November 02, 2013, 12:14:23 pm »

Gah, there's apparently a EU campaign for safety on the roads or something, and because of that the radio I normally listen to airs some really annoying ads/PSAs.

They follow a single formula of a person telling a story about their relative who was ran over by a car because the driver didn't manage to brake because HE WAS DRIVING AT 60 KPH INSTEAD OF 50!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, it's not jackasses who want to show off and drive at 200 kph, or drunk-drivers, or roads that look like Swiss cheese, or the rampant 'FIGHT DA POWAH' attitude of drivers, or any combination of the above, it's people who dare to drive at the nightly speed limit (in the populated areas) are the cause of most of car accidents!

Oh, and there's a stereotypical 'sad and serious piano tune' background. I fucking hate this, too, whenever I hear it used in an ad I feel like someone is trying to emotionally scam me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:16:48 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29043 on: November 02, 2013, 12:22:31 pm »

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, it's not jackasses who want to show off and drive at 200 kph, or drunk-drivers, or roads that look like Swiss cheese, or the rampant 'FIGHT DA POWAH' attitude of drivers, or any combination of the above, it's people who dare to drive at the nightly speed limit (in the populated areas) are the cause of most of car accidents!
Taking this sentence unironically I believe it's 100% true.

Most accidents are caused by simple mistakes, not big ones like being drunk. The big mistakes are a significant fraction of accidents, but most people don't do hugely stupid things. They just take their attention away from the road at the wrong moment or are going too fast to react to something.

It may be relevant whether we're talking about specifically fatal accidents or fender benders, though; you don't die from running a stop light at 30 mph usually, though it's still an accident when you hit someone's back fender.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:24:13 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29044 on: November 02, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »

Sigh... the speed limit of 30 MPH (or local near-equivalent) is set due to how kinetic energy relates to crashes/stopping/etc. At 40 MPH, your car will have enough KE to kill someone 80 to 90% of the time you hit them. At 30 MPH, 80 to 90% of pedestrian collisions are survivable. This is as KE scales with the square of speed. The same applies for stopping distance (thinking distance increases linearly with speed, but breaking distance increases exponentially, and more so in the wet). Most accidents occur in urban areas at speeds around 30 to 50 MPH, for fairly obvious reasons like having lots of cars and pedestrians in close proximity. A particularly hard hitting ad campaign in the UK made this point (and I wont link to them as they were pretty dark - youtube it if you feel the need). Clearly targetting the type of accident that could have the greatest benefit is a sensible idea, even if it does seem to be badly executed.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29045 on: November 02, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »

Yup, kinetic energy increases exponentially. Those 10 kilometers extra increase average braking distance by almost 50%.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29046 on: November 02, 2013, 04:01:00 pm »

EDIT:  Just realized I was posting about physics on a rage forum, and that I'm way too tired to do so.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:05:20 pm by Karkov »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29047 on: November 02, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »

A difference of only .38 in the constant of an exponent won't exactly decrease it much, you know. ex ain't much more than .62ex when you get to it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29048 on: November 02, 2013, 04:27:09 pm »

.38ex can get pretty big as x increases.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29049 on: November 02, 2013, 04:27:54 pm »

I just went on Omegle, and I swear to god I'll probably never do it again.
15 times in a row and counting, kids, I got pretty much this:

O HAI I'M 21 F GO TO THIS SITE SO WE CAN BE NAUGHTY (link)

The last time, I went I started off by saying this instead of hello:

This'd better not be another girl who wants to do "Naughty chat". If it is, disconnect right frigging now because it's starting to piss me off.

After about a 10 second wait, probably with the girl staring with her mouth open:

Stranger has disconnected.

I swear to god this internet thing is so fucking stupid.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #29050 on: November 02, 2013, 04:29:51 pm »

What were you expecting?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29051 on: November 02, 2013, 05:19:48 pm »

Quote from: Omegle
You're now chatting with a random stranger. Say hi!

You: Greetings and salutations!
Stranger: hello
You: Are you pro-onion, or anti-onion?
You: Serious question
Stranger: 20 female you?
You: :I
You: I am 2 months old, and I am an onion.
Stranger: where you from?
You: Can't tell. Buried in the ground somewhere, I think?
Stranger: i am from Kansas what are u doing? :)
You: Mostly growing.
You: You know, roots and leaves shit.
Stranger: im just home bored listening to music, looking someone to talk to. is that you?
Stranger: add me on like my i,d is ElainaLowry41
You: I am sorry. I don't have hands. :(

Yeah, in the year or two since I last went there, it seems to have become overrun by spambots. Ah well, no great loss, I suppose.

EDIT: Oh man... I want to see 2 Spambots chatting at each other. That would be great.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29052 on: November 02, 2013, 05:22:59 pm »

EDIT: Oh man... I want to see 2 Spambots chatting at each other. That would be great.

there actually was a script that let you rig together an omegle chatroom and if you scrolled through enough people you'd get multiple spambots talking with each other, i can't remember the name now so sorry ladm8

MEANWHILE:

Stranger: Hi, 9 yr old male looking for mature woman

i've got nothing sometimes though that's not rage thread material i will abscond

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29053 on: November 02, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »

What, maybe he is looking for his mother?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29054 on: November 02, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »

What, maybe he is looking for his mother?

Did you ask if his name was Chris Hansen?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 ... 3345