Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1921 1922 [1923] 1924 1925 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3703050 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #28830 on: October 27, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »

My worst no-tip as a delivery driver is when it was during a heavy blizzard. There was so much snow on the road I couldn't get my car up the hill to the dude's house (it kept sliding back down), so I parked at the bottom and walked the rest of the way. When I got there, I was so covered with snow the dude made an audible gasp. I think I even mentioned I had to walk up the hill. Still no tip.
That is beyond awful. Vengeful person that I am, I probably would have snowblowered his door shut.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28831 on: October 27, 2013, 11:22:39 pm »

What, no throat punch?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:24:34 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28832 on: October 27, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »

I realize OP has now updated the thread title once again from my own posts and quirks :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28833 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:15 am »

Is tipping really that big of a deal?
As far as I see it you pretty much only give a tip if you get complementary sexual favours or something. Or if you don't want to bother dealing with coins and just leave them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28834 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:07 am »

In America, many professions get vastly lower than minimum wage with the expectation that tips will cover most of their paycheck.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28835 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:40 am »

Probably depends. In the US, most people who work in food service as waiters or delivery are paid less than minimum wage, with the understanding that tips make up the difference. It's bullshit, but it makes tipping an expected behavior. 15% is what I've been told is the standard, but it's easier for me to go with 20% so that's what I do unless I get spectacular or intentionally shitty service.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28836 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:28 am »

Yes, American food service workers can sometimes be paid less than a fourth of minimum wage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28837 on: October 28, 2013, 12:07:53 am »

In America, many professions get vastly lower than minimum wage with the expectation that tips will cover most of their paycheck.
So what happens if the tips don't bring their earnings up to minimum wage? Does the employer have to pay the rest of what they should have?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28838 on: October 28, 2013, 12:15:07 am »

Example: Here in Illinois, minimum wage is 8.25/hr. Most businesses with delivery pay their delivery drivers around  4.50/hr or 5/hr, with the expectation that they'll make up the rest in tips. On a bad night, depending on your area, you won't make minimum wage. And of course, there's also gas prices and vehicle maintenance..

So what happens if the tips don't bring their earnings up to minimum wage? Does the employer have to pay the rest of what they should have?
Nope. Them's just the breaks. Although some places will pay their drivers inside wages for the night if they have below a certain number of deliveries per hour.

Of course, culturally systematized tipping means that making below minimum doesn't often happen unless you're in a very slow or rural area. But it's still a shitty system all 'round.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28839 on: October 28, 2013, 12:17:25 am »

No. The employee gets fucked out of being paid a decent wage. Tipping is important because some people LIVE off it. As Smirk said, it's a shitty system, but that's how it is. Not tipping doesn't make you some social revolutionary intent on writing the wrongs of the situation. It makes you an asshole that is screwing some poor single mother out of grocery money. I worked in a restaurant as a cook, and I can say that most people working for tips decidedly need the money really badly.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28840 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:56 am »

Argument for illegality:

Minimum wage is the required amount of money one receives for services rendered every [period of time].

The system of "tips make up for it" requires tips to be part of the required amount. Thus, tips are required to exist.

Tips are paid by the customer. There are no laws in place requiring the customer to pay a tip. Since the existence of a tip is not enforced, it isn't required to exist.

Contradiction (tips are required ∧ tips are not required), thus the "tips make up for it" system is illogical. Thus, the current system does not fulfill the requirements of the law and is therefore illegal. QED.

How has this not been thrown out yet, when the argument is so simple? (sorry for the pseudo-logic talk here, and yeah it could use some touch-ups before being logically sound.)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28841 on: October 28, 2013, 12:26:26 am »

How has this not been thrown out yet, when the argument is so simple? (sorry for the pseudo-logic talk here, and yeah it could use some touch-ups before being logically sound.)

the answer:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28842 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32:47 am »

So far as I know, it's because drivers are hired a bit differently than other employees. They're contract workers, paid a small hourly plus a small fee for each delivery they make. I'm not sure exactly how the laws contort to manage it, but something about that makes it legal. Unfortunately I have no cites to back that up, so I could be off. But I'm fairly sure.

NINJAEDIT: Yeah, what freeformschooler said.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28843 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:44 am »

The minimum wage for tipped workers are normally 2-3 less than the normal minimum. For instance my mother works as a hair stylist, on a normal day (in another state ill get back to this) she can pull 25-30 in tips and upto 70 easily doubling her daily pay. Now her hourly wage is 8.50 or something less than me, heres a thing too that tips are considered an income and is taxed higher so tips are actually expected in our society and the government does acknowledge it. Now out in utah, this state doesn't tip for shits, i think i made a waitress confused by handing her 5 dollars and saying its yours. Now some still do tip but like bare minimum i think my mother had a 12 customer streak of 1 dollar, she was not happy for that.
Also for the higher taxes out here, i dunno why the companies out here have some shoddy ass payroll management, they cannot withheld the total taxes and instead just throw out a few bucks.  I make 2k a month and they are throwing 10 bucks to the state >______> and its been like that for all of the companies i worked at wtf.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28844 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:52 am »

the answer:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Indeed.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1921 1922 [1923] 1924 1925 ... 3345