Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689935 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28515 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:10 am »

... usually.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28516 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:59 am »

I just really hate not being able to do everything.

When we are born, we pretty much suck at everything. Hell, even breathing has to be learned, so you can bet that anything more complicated than that is going to take trial and error. With complex skills, it's going to take significant work over a long period of time... months to get competent, and years to get good.

The key to competence isn't about being lucky enough to be born with some kind of "natural gift". It's about pushing yourself and your limits, and ignoring the fact that you suck right now. Keep at it long enough, and eventually you won't anymore.

I know, and I think I know my problem now.

I have to look at the results. Bad music playing: you learn your general mistakes and fix them. Bad DF modding: there's an errorlog and everything else is game design. Bad programming: if it's wrong, it doesn't work or is slow. The latter isn't obvious.

Bad art is forever. I have to look at it when I finish and my best attempts are worse than the scribblings of 6-year-old, mostly because I have the approximate fine motor skills of one. I imagine I could get good with practice, but I can't get into it because I have no motivation whatsoever. Y'see, my hobbies kind of rely on my interest. If I played Dwarf Fortress with graphics, I'd be far more interested in making sprites for my mods, but... I don't. I got used to ASCII because I got motivated to get good at that. I guess I may have to regret that?

So my rage today is my inability to find anything to get me interested in art. My artist friends usually just give generic motivational phrases because... well, that's really all you can do, I guess. I hope not.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28517 on: October 18, 2013, 07:07:43 am »

I just really hate not being able to do everything.

When we are born, we pretty much suck at everything. Hell, even breathing has to be learned, so you can bet that anything more complicated than that is going to take trial and error. With complex skills, it's going to take significant work over a long period of time... months to get competent, and years to get good.

The key to competence isn't about being lucky enough to be born with some kind of "natural gift". It's about pushing yourself and your limits, and ignoring the fact that you suck right now. Keep at it long enough, and eventually you won't anymore.
Wasn't there a quote from some forumite, going something like "Not sucking is a product of time invested"?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28518 on: October 18, 2013, 07:54:39 am »

There is, yeah. It's even mostly true. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much time you invest, though. S'pretty important to be able to notice when that's happening. Means you can focus on ways to work around the problem instead of slamming into a wall that will never budge.

But yeah. Personally, there's certain sorts of artistic techniques I'm just physically incapable of getting better at. Mostly involving detail work by pen/pencil/brush/etc. Signals between the brain and the hand are just slightly fucked up -- buggers my handwriting, means I just can't manage consistent fine strokes, etc. Years, over a decade, of off and on effort has produced absolutely zero improvement. Puts an upper limit on just how good I can get on the technical aspects involved, especially when it requires particularly fine motor work. A limit I hit a long damn time ago, all efforts notwithstanding.

After a while I stopped being a goddamn idiot and stopped trying to fix something that would take brain surgery and nervous system reconstruction to fix. Sometimes you have to realize trying to do the hand jive without hands just isn't going to happen. You can still learn to tapdance or whatev', but it is what it is. Some things human effort just can't surpass, no matter how consistent and dedicated. Do the human thing and work smarter, if working harder isn't going to work. Or at least focus your efforts on something else.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28519 on: October 18, 2013, 11:20:36 am »

Annoyed at other passengers on the bus. Why do they think that having a bag or purse entitles them to an extra seat? One day, a woman tried to lay her bag to take up three. Then there's all the loudmouths and drug dealers sitting in the back. And yesterday, someone gets on the bus, and immediately all one could smell was weed. Seriously? At 8AM in the morning?

Also annoyed at my younger, who for the past two nights has slept in my room. I was never told that she'd be there, and she snores really loudly. And this morning I found her using my coffee mug.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28520 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:09 pm »

Younger... daughter? Sister? Puppy? Wife?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28521 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:49 pm »

Argh.....forgetting to modify one field on a web page resulted in bringing a business down for.....5 hours, while we frantically regex'd and find/replaced the mistakes. GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

The nice thing about royal fuckups like this is it exposes vulnerabilities and weaknesses in your tool chain. Not much of a silver lining but at least it's something.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:00:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28522 on: October 18, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »

If his older wife is alright with it...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28523 on: October 18, 2013, 02:07:03 pm »

Why would his wife object to a puppy?! IS SHE A MONSTER!?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28524 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:54 pm »

I would object to a puppy. Damn things are piss machines.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28525 on: October 18, 2013, 03:53:52 pm »

I would object to a puppy. Damn things are piss machines.
They also stop being puppies after a while.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28526 on: October 18, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »

Four hours. Four. FUCKING. Hours.

Not a single bus came by. Yes, I'm hating on public transportation again.

But seriously, four hours and no buses came by to pick anyone up. At least, not for my route. Of course the other routes seemed to be going by just fine, while my stop was absolutely swamped with other people waiting. There was still a massive crowd waiting after the bus had filled, and we weren't given an explanation on why there was such a disgusting wait.

Then during the ride, as the bus had stopped to let a person off, a group of idiots tried to force their way on, even though the bus was still full. The bus driver told them to bugger off, and they yelled at him and demanded other people get off the bus so that they could board, stalling the bus for about 15 minutes before they gave up.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28527 on: October 18, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »

All of the above?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Oglaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28528 on: October 18, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »

But seriously, four hours and no buses came by to pick anyone up. At least, not for my route. Of course the other routes seemed to be going by just fine, while my stop was absolutely swamped with other people waiting. There was still a massive crowd waiting after the bus had filled, and we weren't given an explanation on why there was such a disgusting wait.

Then during the ride, as the bus had stopped to let a person off, a group of idiots tried to force their way on, even though the bus was still full. The bus driver told them to bugger off, and they yelled at him and demanded other people get off the bus so that they could board, stalling the bus for about 15 minutes before they gave up.

Damn. I also had an experience very similar to this.
I very nearly missed the first calculus class of the semester (which, due to college policies, would mean I would be automatically dropped from the class)
I leave for the bus stop at about 5:30 PM, exactly an hour before my class is to start. Just like you said, the other routes were having no trouble at all - the opposite side of the street had had about four buses pass, and two express buses on my side had, as well. I figure that the terminal is having some sort of problem with my route, so I start walking instead. I later find out that I had waited almost two hours at the bus stop.

Then, about 10 minutes after I leave the bus stop, the bus I needed passes me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:15:26 pm by Oglaf »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28529 on: October 18, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »

Damn. I also had an experience very similar to this.
I very nearly missed the first calculus class of the semester (which, due to college policies, would mean I would be automatically dropped from the class)
I leave for the bus stop at about 5:30 PM, exactly an hour before my class is to start. Just like you said, the other routes were having no trouble at all - the opposite side of the street had had about four buses pass, and two express buses on my side had, as well. I figure that the terminal is having some sort of problem with my route, so I start walking instead. I later find out that I had waited almost two hours at the bus stop.

Then, about 10 minutes after I leave the bus stop, the bus I needed passes me.

I once had my bus number not come by for two hours, when it was supposed to be every 20 minutes. Then three busses with that number come by all at once, like a little failtrain.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 1900 1901 [1902] 1903 1904 ... 3345