Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1895 1896 [1897] 1898 1899 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689990 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28440 on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:46 pm »

I fail to see how this is appropriate second year course work for an IT student. A business student, who is there only to socialize with the other students, sure, but not an IT student, who is presumably there to actually learn things.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28441 on: October 16, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »

The proper term is "networking".

Also, they're there to learn! Learn how to report taxes properly, balance books, find the cheapest wholesaler, exploit business opportunities.

... You know, things we should be learning in fucking high-school. Like basic computer use, and not "Learn to use Microsoft Word!" Come on, school boards. You're supposed to be teaching people how to navigate the world and learn, not how to be a fucking secretary.

Don't even fucking use the excuse of "Well we have an agreement with Microsoft in order to use their programs!", you know full fucking well there are free alternatives like LibreOffice that work just as well!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28442 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:44 pm »

But they didn't learn to use LibreOffice in high school.
:P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28443 on: October 16, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »

There are actually several links between software and the practical side of business like tax reporting, accounting ect.....

Our company would be in deep, deep fucking water were it not for one guy, who is a Business IT major. Being able to grok both the software and MySQL queries, and enterprise-level business specifics, makes him the most valuable person we employ right now. Instead of it taking two people to solve a problem, an accountant and a developer or sysadmin.....he just does both sides.

So yes, technically, IT people shouldn't need to know business specifics. Unless you're going to be IT for a business and work with data. In which case, yes, a functional knowledge of Excel, accounting T trees and the like is very useful.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28444 on: October 16, 2013, 02:54:51 pm »

I'm going in for Database IT major and i'm required to study on business software including management for microsoft products. Microsoft products are widely used and most companies require you to know all of them anyways. Granted its peazy shit for anyone that took IC3 classes but my customers dont even know how Word works and they are high in the industry standard for insurance world :P

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28445 on: October 16, 2013, 06:36:19 pm »

I have no idea how the colleges in the USA manage to be so annoying and get away with it. I'm enrolled in a pretty prestigious German university, and I pay 120€ for an entire semester, not a cent more (food or bedding obviously not included). You don't need to buy any textbooks, you don't need to pay fees for courses, heck, you don't even need to attend any classes. The only thing you need to get a degree is pass enough exams. After what I've heard from American colleges, I'd probably ragequit after at most a month.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28446 on: October 16, 2013, 06:47:47 pm »

Went to my kid's elementary school book fair yesterday.  Found two books about 9/11.  Only lightly perused the selection, so I'm guessing there were more.  One of them titled "AMERICA IS UNDER ATTACK" in bold, all-caps letters.  It felt like an onion article had somehow bled over into reality, except it wasn't funny.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28447 on: October 16, 2013, 07:56:57 pm »

Well, Logitech is on my shitlist. Bought a new mouse less than a week ago and it is ALREADY completely dead. Contrast with my old mouse which survived two years of abuse before the left mouse button failed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28448 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:14 pm »

Well, Logitech is on my shitlist. Bought a new mouse less than a week ago and it is ALREADY completely dead. Contrast with my old mouse which survived two years of abuse before the left mouse button failed.
My old old mouse is still alive and it must be at least 7 years old now. Stuff seems to be breaking easier and easier.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28449 on: October 16, 2013, 08:00:55 pm »

My old Windows '95 still has its original mouse. Works perfectly fine, except that it doesn't have a scroll wheel and can't be used with newer computers without an adapter.

E: Oh right, this is the rage thread.

*Obligatory Public Transportation Hatred*

Bus driver got off the bus, shut the door, and told us to wait as he ran inside to use the restroom.

Of course, it was raining, so some people objected to his idea and forced the doors open and took their seats. When the driver came back, he was furious. He forced everyone off, switched the sign over to "Not In Service" and left, leaving everyone, even those of us who did not forcefully board, standing in the rain.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:20:01 pm by BlackFlyme »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28450 on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »

My shit-tier $10 Microsoft mouse is still running strong ~4 years after purchase, though the rubberized part has been peeling and flaking. Even if I bought a new one every year it'd still be cheaper than a high-end piece of junk that breaks in less time. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28451 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:49 pm »

WELL YOU GUYS JUST RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YA

My mice travel with me in a backback with my laptop. They can get bumped, jostled, banged, and possibly even dropped on. My last mouse survived two years of this abuse before it started to fail, and this one couldn't last a relatively inactive week. So yeah, Logitech remains shitlisted. I should just buy another Microsoft mouse next time.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28452 on: October 16, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »

I was probably a bit more gentle, but when I was in university ~2 years ago, I kept my mouse with my laptop on a backpack too. It went in the front pocket while the laptop when in the main one.

Mouse still works today. Logitech, too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28453 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »

My mouse is logitech but i think it's pretty damn old. I swear we must have thousands of them just laying around because every time one breaks my dad goes into his room and a few minutes later comes out with a new mouse. Maybe we breed them.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28454 on: October 16, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »

I highly recommend the Microsoft Arc Mouse as a portable.  A bit pricier, but it's the best portable design I've ever seen, comfortable to use, action is smooth and accurate, and the battery life is amazing... two years on two AAA batteries, and that's with daily use.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1895 1896 [1897] 1898 1899 ... 3345