Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691376 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28230 on: October 10, 2013, 01:39:53 pm »

Has anybody else considered omnicide yet?
Constantly working on it. My current plan is to kill everyone over the age of 5 and then have the remaining children raised by robots to try and wipe the slate clean.
*cough*lordoftheflies*cough*
Assuming the robots are immortal, LotF shouldn't happen: it's specifically when there is no authority to appeal to or something.

I still think the children will find a way to overthrow their robot overlords and return to humanity's natural state.

This sounds like a Plot Idea if I ever heard one. We'd be losing a lot of Sage Wisdom and Hard-Won Life Lessons to wipe the slate clean that way, though... that's something older folks tend to bring to subsequent generations; cultural inheritance comes with plenty of good and bad.

It's not often easy to see how to untangle a knot once it's tangled, but it's almost always less costly than slicing it up into bits and replacing the knotted thing. When things go bad, it's not always easy to keep working from where you're currently at... but doing your best to fix it, and carrying on with what you already have, rather than scrapping it all and starting over, is almost always more cost and time efficient. Trouble is, untangling things is a skill all its own.

Yeah, I actually had a Plot Idea via that: it would probably work best in a sci-fi-ish story. An outsider encounters a relatively fairly primitive civilization, surrounded by ruins of advanced technology of the past they cannot use.

Thanks to the power stored in the Plot Device, he learns that basically just that happened: the advanced civilization decided to wipe the slate clean by killing anyone older than 5 (maybe increase a bit if it proves problematic) and leaving programmed robots who were supposed to teach the children all they needed to know to survive. However, a twist: due to... Plot Device no. 2, maybe a solar storm or something, the robots stopped working, leaving the children to survive on their own.

The focal point of the plot would be the civilization itself, and the similarities and differences between what us and them: I imagine that such society would be at least just as violent and unjust as ours, if not more - children can be more sociopathic than they seem, on the other hand they wouldn't have certain pre-conceptions we have right now, especially culturally - it would differ in its customs, religions, political systems, what-have-you.

Another theme would be technology and its role in society: whether the ancestors lived better or worse than the members of this society, whether it is desirable to learn how to tap into the power of ancient technology, and to what degree accepting those you perceive as your intellectual superiors' beliefs is desirable.

Arggh. Fucking Social Justice Warriors and their fucking assholish discrimination and marginalization.

A bunch of privileged mother-fuckers passing judgement on minorities and robbing them of agency if they don't agree with the opinions represented.
"no self-respecting member of such groups could, would or should take this without protest or offense."

Remember, folks! If you don't agree with my opinion, you're a worthless human being without an ounce of self respect! That's how you know I'm such a good person!

Ugh.

Disgusting. I hate these people so much.

No True Scotsman, anyone?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28231 on: October 10, 2013, 01:41:36 pm »

-snip-
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28232 on: October 10, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »

via meatspace
...I just realized this phrase is talking about real life. I feel so dumb right now.
Well, depending on context, it could also mean many things, from dimensions made of meat, to a meat locker, or spelunking inside a larger creature, and so on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28233 on: October 10, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »

You called?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28234 on: October 10, 2013, 02:03:52 pm »

You called?
Don't be silly. Owlbread is the only True Scotsman on Bay 12.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28235 on: October 10, 2013, 02:05:32 pm »

Well duh, but he wasn't talking about True Scotsmen.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28236 on: October 10, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »

My computer crashed and my Dropbox folder got messed up, and now it's redownloading EVERYTHING I had in it, D:
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28237 on: October 10, 2013, 03:03:02 pm »

Arggh. Fucking Social Justice Warriors and their fucking assholish discrimination and marginalization.

A bunch of privileged mother-fuckers passing judgement on minorities and robbing them of agency if they don't agree with the opinions represented.
"no self-respecting member of such groups could, would or should take this without protest or offense."

Remember, folks! If you don't agree with my opinion, you're a worthless human being without an ounce of self respect! That's how you know I'm such a good person!

Ugh.

Disgusting. I hate these people so much.
Groupthink?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28238 on: October 11, 2013, 03:11:12 am »

Hexchat's toolbar has suddenly disappeared, forcing me to learn the shortcuts just to get into a channel.

Additionally, connecting to a server only lets you automatically join one channel, instead of the two to four I usually want to join. Why, Hexchat? Whyyyy??

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #28239 on: October 11, 2013, 05:07:44 am »

Hexchat's toolbar has suddenly disappeared, forcing me to learn the shortcuts just to get into a channel.

Additionally, connecting to a server only lets you automatically join one channel, instead of the two to four I usually want to join. Why, Hexchat? Whyyyy??
Did you check the preferences?
Hexchat got all grumpy on me so I left it and went for ChatZilla instead..

...Look on the bright side. At least you know shortcuts now :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE: New rules, read them.
« Reply #28240 on: October 11, 2013, 11:00:22 am »

Annoying couple of weeks. Last week, during work, the bitch supervisor starts on me immediately after I finished a task and take just a few seconds to catch my breath. Fortunately, the head cook handed me a piece of carrot cake just 10 seconds later, so rage averted there. The supervisor more recently started some shit with the manager, and is also trying to take her rage from that out on everone else. Luckily, I've entirely avoided it for now.

Next, I kinda messed up with that girl I like. I had simply asked her what happened to her during that week I hadn't seen her, a simple and honest question, and the look she gave while she responded(apparently she was never gone) ended the conversation right there. Either I said it stupidly or I badly misread her response. ...I bought her some cookies as an apology, but I was a little too embarassed to give them to her directly, so I sent them through some mutual friends. I've tried to see her again, but no luck, and not helping is that I've learned(through those same friends) that she's more of a Shrinking Violet than I had thought. I'm really rethinking my approach to this. And although I haven't had the guts to admit my feelings to our friends, if I hadn't made it obvious to them yet, I don't know what to think.

Finally, last week, the library had brought down it's entire network, so I couldn't get on.

Spoiler alert for every fast-food documentary ever:

IF YOU EAT FAST FOOD THREE MEALS A DAY EVERY DAY FOR MONTHS, YOU'LL GET MORBIDLY OBESE.

And people talk about these kinds of documentaries like they're revealing the secret truth behind the Kennedy assassination. If you couldn't figure out "McDonald's is unhealthy garbage, maybe I shouldn't eat so much of it" for yourself, you need somebody to look after you before you crawl into an oven "because it's chilly outside".

And people bring up these fucking documentaries whenever I'm so much as carrying a coffee from McD's, and it pisses me off every time because it's obvious shit that anybody with awareness of the world around them could figure out just by cultural osmosis.
Under the medical definition, I am "obese", probably morbidly so, but I certainly don't consider myself to be. While my waistline(or rather, everything just above the waist) isn't much to think of, I have extremely well-built legs. Hell, I don't even like fast food that much, although the food where I work isn't exactly much higher quality.

I personally consider "obese" to be the point where you can no longer see your... self when looking down. I have no problems with that, and it has nothing to do with size.  ...Unfuckingfortunately.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28241 on: October 11, 2013, 11:10:12 am »

I can autojoin multiple channels. A recent change fucked up your stored lists so you need the re-enter them, tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28242 on: October 11, 2013, 11:30:27 am »

I thought I only had one mid-term today. I had two.

Math was a pain in the ass, all the questions were overly wordy to try to screw you up.

Accounting I was doing fine, until I completely blanked on how to do income/equity statements, since we hadn't talked about those in weeks.

General accounting ledgers? Fine. T-charts for debits and credits? Took a while, but I've memorized what's what. Adjusting statements? They try to trick you by being wordy, but I can manage. Statements, the most basic aspect of the course? F*ck that, my brain's on vacation!

Plus another class of mine was cancelled and no-one told me. Spent over an hour standing around for nothing.

Edit: just looked up some examples of equity statements. Turns out I accidentally put a statement of capital on the test instead.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:14:24 pm by BlackFlyme »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28243 on: October 11, 2013, 08:21:19 pm »

Guy Who Lives On My Floor But Whom I Do Not Know: Hey [MSH], wanna come hang out in the lobby?

[MSH]: No.

GWLOMFBWIDNK: (to his roommate) I tried, don't say I didn't try.

Fucking jackass.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28244 on: October 11, 2013, 09:28:27 pm »

Guy Who Lives On My Floor But Whom I Do Not Know: Hey [MSH], wanna come hang out in the lobby?

[MSH]: No.

GWLOMFBWIDNK: (to his roommate) I tried, don't say I didn't try.

Fucking jackass.
Hahahahaha, that bullshit. Turning university into some sort of social club.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 3345