Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1845 1846 [1847] 1848 1849 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3688920 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE: New rules, read them.
« Reply #27690 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »

The teachers and principle at my school are being unnecessarily anal about getting Spanish taken of my schedule.
"HURR, YOU NEED IT TO GO TO COLLEGE"
A fact I know to be bullshit.
"ELLELE DON'T YOU WANNA GO TO COLLEGE"
Maybe, I dunno yet.
"WELL IMMA HAF TA TALK TO YO PARENTS ABOUT THIS."
Meh, they'll say the same things I've been saying.
I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN FOREIGN LANGUAGES.
IF I AM EVER IN A SITUATION WHERE I NEED TO USE SPANISH, MY PLANS FOR LIFE WILL HAVE GONE HORRIBLY WRONG AT THAT POINT.
I rest my case.

EDIT: Mix this with my particularly sleepless week, and I'm particularly bitchy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:29:24 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27691 on: September 24, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »

While it's true that you don't need it to get into college, you do need it to graduate from a very large number of programs, and they'll often let you waive the requirement for college courses in a language if you took HS courses (which are also typically easier). That said, there are much more interesting options available in your average university than in your average high school, and you might not even wind up in a program that requires that as part of its General Education requirements - if you go at all, which you might not.

Still, keep in mind that if it's a requirement for your HS, they can really just say "Screw you, it's in the curriculum, we don't have to justify it to every student who insists that it's not necessary for their life plans." You'd need a much better reason than "I don't want to" to get out of it, in that case.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27692 on: September 24, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »

It's not a required course.
I had to shove that bit of the handbook in the face of more than one person today.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #27693 on: September 24, 2013, 03:03:49 pm »

Then, yeah, there you go. This should be pretty simply handled under whatever policy they have for dropping courses, and not really be a hassle for you at all depending on what that policy actually is.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27694 on: September 24, 2013, 03:07:20 pm »

I had to shove that bit of the handbook in the face of more than one person today.
Yea i skipped and went to learn russian instead at college, much more satisfactory than lame ass spanish. Its like the only mandatory class available for any school, how about some german instead or chinese, hell goddamn latin.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27695 on: September 24, 2013, 03:18:42 pm »

Yea i skipped and went to learn russian instead at college, much more satisfactory than lame ass spanish. Its like the only mandatory class available for any school, how about some german instead or chinese, hell goddamn latin.
S-spanish is my first language! :'(
I'm sorry man, but its not you or the language its the shitty choices i had in public schools :P

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #27696 on: September 24, 2013, 03:21:54 pm »

I recommend Portuguese when you get to college. Like Spanish, it is easy, and if you know some Spanish it is extremely so. It is also extremely marketable, since many Americans seem to be under the impression that the world's fifth-largest economy is Spanish-speaking, and not very many speak Portuguese.

Indonesian is also one of those extremely marketable languages very few Americans know. I'd think about picking it up, but I've got Portuguese to maintain, I'm taking Russian, Latin and Farsi, and my university doesn't offer Indonesian. Indonesian's pretty easy, too- no gender or plurals, fairly simple(ish) grammar and no difficult sounds. None of the basic vocabulary is cognate...but then, if you're taking any language other than a Germanic or Romance one, you'll have to deal with this problem anyways.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27697 on: September 24, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »

Ich spreche Deutsch!

Nicht gut, aber Ich kann!

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27698 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:21 pm »

For the same reason everyone is good at English: Americans keep yelling at you in it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27699 on: September 24, 2013, 08:41:02 pm »

Forget teaching a single language extensively, what universities should do is teach all of their students enough of five or six languages to order drinks, get themselves slapped, and talk their way out of being arrested.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27700 on: September 24, 2013, 08:42:47 pm »

Forget teaching a single language extensively, what universities should do is teach all of their students enough of five or six languages to order drinks, get themselves slapped, and talk their way out of being arrested.
Pssh, I can get slapped in any country I want. Why would they need to teach that?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27701 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:13 pm »

Pssh, I can get slapped in any country I want. Why would they need to teach that?
It's much more elegant to get slapped (or slugged, depending on the person) for a single lewd or insulting phrase smoothly delivered than choppy profanity or rude gestures?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27702 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:33 pm »

Yeah, I really don't need that in my life, thanks.

Learning foreign languages lets you read a lot of stuff that you couldn't otherwise, since frankly, most translations are kind of dreadful.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27703 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:17 pm »

Thing: Attempting to make video. Miss ending it by three seconds.
Spends rest of hour continuing, without the recording being saved.

Lack of time to go it a second time.

Thanks Bandicam, lack of money and three seconds of talking!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27704 on: September 24, 2013, 08:59:03 pm »

I ought to pick up a Gaelic bible.

I've never read it in English, but why not? :D

I'll be able to quote incomprehensible gibberish at people IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE! :D

Nobutseriously you're not a western language until you have a bible, it seems. Just a dialect until then (I wonder if Scots has a bible). Bible's pretty comprehensive in terms of words, should be nice.

:3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 1845 1846 [1847] 1848 1849 ... 3345