Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693703 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: "And now say I RAEG" Edition
« Reply #27435 on: September 15, 2013, 01:29:36 pm »

Trying to download MS Office to install on a fresh copy of Windows, it wouldn't start the download, so my parents start panicking about how they need it (I offer them to use my laptop for whatever they need writing but they won't hear of it for some reason) and demand an explanation, naturally them being completely averse to modern technology makes it an ordeal not worth having, so I just tell them I'll handle it somehow and that they should stop pestering me about it. And of course my mother gets all bitchy while my father wants to know if he can take it to the shop to get it installed and I'm still trying to figure out why the fuck it won't work and during all that the rage gets so intense that I start headdesking until they leave me alone (mother still bitching, just on the other side of the door).

And two fucking minutes ater, my head hurts and the problem is solved, fucks sake, if they just listened it would have all been fucking fine, but no, it immediately has to turn into a fucking shitstorm.

God I hate being the only tech savvy person in the house, I really do.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: "And now say I RAEG" Edition
« Reply #27436 on: September 15, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »

That's way easier to handle, you can charge those bastards, I can't do the same because this is my family and I'm not enough of a bastard to do that :C
AS - IG

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27437 on: September 15, 2013, 04:22:41 pm »

When do computer classes start in USA anyways? I remember starting computer classes during 4th grade.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27438 on: September 15, 2013, 04:25:17 pm »

I've never really liked Java or Eclipse, but today really just makes me loathe them.

I've been "working" on graduate research related to this DSP thing for many months now.  And by working, I mean I'm supposed to be but have had so little time to devote to it that I really haven't done much of anything.  I have to physically be at the computer the DSP card is installed in, otherwise I can't compile and run the code.  The reason for this is that it's all done through Eclipse, and I have only SSH access which doesn't allow me to use the GUI.  I know of no way around this.  That means I've been able to code some from home when I had time, but I haven't been able to build and run anything in about five or six weeks.

Whatever.  I took the time today to drive 25 minutes to campus so I could actually compile, run and debug some changes to this awful dead end of a project.  I planned to spend 8 or more hours here if I needed to get something done.  It's Sunday.  I shouldn't have to worry about anyone else using the computer or anything getting in the way today.  Parking is even free today.

Guess what?  Eclipse magically stopped working at some point during the last month.  I have no idea why.  Trying to start it from a terminal like I always have just causes it to crash immediately and spew out an error about it exiting with code 13.  Oh, code 13.  I can fix that.  That's totally obvious.

Whatever.  I look it up and apparently that means the JVM doesn't match versions with Eclipse.  Great.  I check, and sure enough this is a 32-bit install of Eclipse and a 64-bit JVM.  I wonder how that happened?

Whatever.  I look around and find the instructions on how to configure Eclipse to use a specific JVM.  I set that up with the 32-bit JVM that shipped with the freaking installation, and now it just dies silently.  Exit code 0, which means everything was just fine, which it clearly isn't.

I would install another 64-bit copy of Eclipse and be done with it, but I can't do that.  The compilers for this DSP make a lot of changes to Eclipse, so I have to use this one, and I have no idea how to correctly tell it which JVM to use.  I would try installing another 32-bit JVM in my home directory and pointing to that, but there are so many environment variables and paths and other ridiculous configuration stuff that frankly at this point I'm just not doing it.

This is just stupid beyond words.

I am never going to get anything done on my research.  The one chance I have time to work on it, I have utterly stupid technical problems preventing me from spending that time on it!  Since it's Sunday, there's nobody here who can even help try to diagnose and debug it.  I sure as heck am not going to try to play system admin and fool around with the main JVM install even though I have sudo access, because I'd probably manage to screw up the configuration even more.

Screw it.  I'm going home where I can work on another project that I can at least get something accomplished on.  Maybe it will lead into something I can use in my dissertation, because at this point I don't think I'll ever even get a topic for it, much less finish it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27439 on: September 15, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »

When do computer classes start in USA anyways? I remember starting computer classes during 4th grade.
For me, it started in 9th grade.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27440 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:14 pm »

Tenth grade here. Depending on what you define "Computer Classes" as.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27441 on: September 15, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »

I got a class on how to use a computer and the internet in either 3rd or 4th grade.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27442 on: September 15, 2013, 04:45:47 pm »

It was the same for me, around third grade. Of course, the computers were IBM boxes older than us, and all they bothered to do was stick us in the lab and give us a keyboarding exercise, which 90% of us promptly ignored in favor of slooooowly messing about on the internet. Oh, and I mistakenly got put into a computer class in my freshman year of HS, but that was one of those "Both we and you know that you're going to drop out and not go to college, so we'll try to teach you how to type and use Excel" classes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #27443 on: September 15, 2013, 05:13:35 pm »

I have a sister who kicks her pc when it doesn't "listen to her".

She is twenty years old.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #27444 on: September 15, 2013, 05:15:49 pm »

My brother gets viruses on computers like it's his job, and then he usually throws his laptop when it isn't working. I'm glad he's getting a desktop next.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27445 on: September 15, 2013, 05:16:12 pm »

I have a sister who kicks her pc when it doesn't "listen to her".

She is twenty years old.
Voice recognition software is still awful. Seriously don't use that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27446 on: September 15, 2013, 05:16:19 pm »

I got most of my stuff either from my cousin, at the local computer shop where I was taking practical lessions (basically third and fourth grades of highschool you have to find a place where you work for nothing for four hours a week, I got this local shop which had some cool dudes in it which taught me a bit) and everything after that was googling how to do something, because that's the easiest thing to do these days :D
AS - IG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27447 on: September 15, 2013, 05:16:50 pm »

Percussive maintenance, breaking your shit even worse since forever.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27448 on: September 15, 2013, 05:20:55 pm »

Hey, percussive maintenance works. It makes the problem go away, one way or another.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27449 on: September 15, 2013, 05:21:47 pm »

Percussive maintenance, breaking your shit even worse since forever.
I've had a few electronic devices where percussive maintenance was actually pretty good. I think one was a shitty freeview box. A few violent shocks into the internal workings seemed to make it stop refusing to work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 3345