Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1810 1811 [1812] 1813 1814 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3688728 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: SOFAKING DEEP Edition
« Reply #27165 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »

Why are you taking a class about basic office software? Excel is not exactly complicated unless you're doing serious maths with it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27166 on: September 05, 2013, 01:26:09 pm »

Why are you taking a class about basic office software? Excel is not exactly complicated unless you're doing serious maths with it.
Some people are really incapable of Excel.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27167 on: September 05, 2013, 01:32:14 pm »

And why do employers want you to list Excel as a skill?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27168 on: September 05, 2013, 01:38:29 pm »

Excel is wonderfully complicated.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27169 on: September 05, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »

My material science professor is not a good teacher, yet I'm stuck in the class because it isn't offered anywhere else that fits into my shcedule and I need to take it this semester.

Namely he:
1) Doesn't define equations or variables until after he uses them in an example problem; which makes the example worthless because you don't know what anything is until after. This also makes some of his lecture "questions" confusing when he asks "What is the coordination # of this structure?" yet he still hasn't defined what a "coordination number" even is.

2) When someone doesn't understand (Because he hasn't defined what anything he's telling us is yet) he tries to solve this by repeating the example. Which is still worthless because he hasn't defined anything.

3) When he does define equations he likes to define them not as the actual equation, but rather as whatever simplified version he used in the useless example problem. For example he defined an equation as APF = Vatoms / Vcell when it is in fact APF = Natoms * Vatoms / Vcell (because in his example N = 1 so it's not in the definition).

4) He doesn't use the online system the whole rest of the school does. This means there is no way to get the homework if you miss class, lose your notes, or forget to write it down.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27170 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:33 pm »

Because businesses do practically everything in the form of a spreadsheet. Being able to work with spreadsheets is useful in just about every company. Companies that have inventory typically export, import and store data in spreadsheets. So knowing how to do maths against them is important.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27171 on: September 05, 2013, 03:45:01 pm »

Most likely? Because it's a prerequisite for later classes, and there exists no way to test out of it.

Also. Just. Also. You'd be surprised. I've seen it take over a week to (begin to) get absolute/mixed cell references. Just, like. As a start. And not, y'know. Imbeciles. Working folks, decently experienced, fairly competent and intelligent. But looking at excel makes their brains basically ooze out their ears.

Stuff bloody well needs a test to circumvent for prereqs, though. If you can manage bloody microsoft certification or whatever, you're probably capable of handling whatever later classes need the skillset.

E: Also, it's not "teaching" office software. It's specifically teaching microsoft office products. Think on it for, like, two seconds. And you'll have one of the other major answers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:49:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27172 on: September 05, 2013, 07:19:24 pm »

FFFFFFFFucking acting agh

What the fuck am I not a good enough fucking actor for a slightly-larger-than-minor role holy shit i'm not asking for that fucking much here

When I heard you talking about casting me in this part I thought you were fucking joking it's my fucking senior year and I get a fucking one-scene-wonder role what the fuck did I do wrong

Is it because my fucking brother had a birthday that meant I couldn't come to Theater practice, is that it? HFS all I wanted was a challenging role where I could learn more about how to act but noooo I get fucking six lines

Agggh

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27173 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »

@MadMalkavian: So...why aren't you your own payee? You obviously have good spelling/grammar/English capacity. Maybe you could write someone about what's going on with the money to have it directly deposited into a bank account with a debit card attached to it?
I'm not very good at managing my money and becoming my own payee is more complicated than just writing a letter. Besides, yesterday's problems were already dealt with and things are fine now. It just wasn't a good day yesterday.

- edit - FREAKIN' WATER BLISTERS ON MY FEET! They are painful and they are irritating.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:58:55 pm by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27174 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »

FFFFFFFFucking acting agh

What the fuck am I not a good enough fucking actor for a slightly-larger-than-minor role holy shit i'm not asking for that fucking much here

When I heard you talking about casting me in this part I thought you were fucking joking it's my fucking senior year and I get a fucking one-scene-wonder role what the fuck did I do wrong

Is it because my fucking brother had a birthday that meant I couldn't come to Theater practice, is that it? HFS all I wanted was a challenging role where I could learn more about how to act but noooo I get fucking six lines

Agggh

Perhaps you could go loudly express your thoughts to whoever's responsible so that they might better understand how you feel about the way this is completely screwing you over? Pointing out how you're a senior on your last year of school should give you some leverage.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27175 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:28 pm »

Chill. Seriously, chill. Get a position as an understudy in addition to your current role. Learn the play inside and out, and work at it. And then contact your local community college and audition for one of the shows they'll surely be doing over the summer or early next year, because high school plays suck anyway. (But do damn well at your part in the school play and work at it, because they'll full expect you to be able to actually act, and to understand that the show is not about you - every theater wants every role to be filled by a good actor, no matter how minor.)

Plus let's be honest, even minor roles get invited to the cast afterparty, and that's the whole reason for doing theater, right?

Mmm, those amazing after parties...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27176 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:16 pm »

I've never been to an after-party.

Or in a play.

Probably for the better, to be honest. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27177 on: September 05, 2013, 10:12:24 pm »

Angry at myself.   Somehow lost my wallet at school. 

Know I had it when I went in, don't recall ever taking it out of my pocket, didn't buy anything, pocket felt lighter when I left, notice wallet is gone before I even reach my car.

Checked the classroom and it's not there, checked with security and noone turned one in.  Only time I ever misplaced my wallet was probably about 10 years ago, and it was just in another pair of pants I changed out of last minute before going someplace.  But not this time, I know I had it when I left my car because I checked to make sure I had everything.

How am I so inept that I can lose something firmly strapped to my ass while sitting in a chair over the course of 4 hours?
At least reporting the debit card stolen missing cost nothing, gunna be a pain replacing the license though.   Can't drive to DMV because no license, can't get license because I must drive to DMV.   Meh.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:14:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27178 on: September 05, 2013, 10:15:42 pm »

I've never been to an after-party.

Or in a play.

Probably for the better, to be honest. >_>
I've been in one! Play, that is.

It left me with an unending, barely restrainable, murderous hatred of oompa loompas. Goddamn orange midgets actually make my vision tint red. It's been over a decade and the effect still lingers.

Also a little bit of voice training that somehow internalized and became subconscious. I can't control it, but somehow the voice gets where it needs to go, usually. It's useful! Bright side.

At least reporting the debit card stolen missing cost nothing, gunna be a pain replacing the license though.   Can't drive to DMV because no license, can't get license because I must drive to DMV.   Meh.
Public transport? Taxi?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27179 on: September 05, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »

I guess I'm overdramatizing it.  I suppose I could get a ride, or take the votran, (which if I'm reading the scheduel right stops a block away from the DMV instead of at the DMV which seems odd). 

Taxi is out of the question, I'm not sure I can afford what it costs to replace the license, let alone a taxi in a tourist city.  It probably costs twice that.

I could probably even, god forbid, still drive if I absolutely had to. I drove back home from school after all, I still have my insurance info in my car, and I haven't been pulled over in years.  I just imagine the police have some kind of 'no license on hand' radar and they'll all zone in on me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:31:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1810 1811 [1812] 1813 1814 ... 3345