Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1782 1783 [1784] 1785 1786 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689774 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Geostupidity Edition
« Reply #26745 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:38 pm »

Lack of HR department does not preclude BS HR responses. Also petty revenge, like. Isn't going to help anything. At all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26746 on: August 16, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

If you wanted to be bold, you could contact them, by phone or email or whatever, and ask them to level with you, and let you know what specifically made them feel you weren't a "hard worker", and reassure them that you're worth their time as well. Of course, you'll probably want to be a bit diplomatic about it.

If nothing else, it would show a commitment, and strong interest in the position... which might help relieve their worries.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26747 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »

Well apparently they don't think I'd work hard enough for them.
Did they actually say that or are you just beating yourself up?

It's probably lack of experience (like Solifuge said, that's a stupid catch 22). Having a university degree and seeking only temporary employment can be a factor, especially if it's a small company, who doesn't want to pay much and wants to bind employees long term. Happened to me too.

Also never move for a job before you have a written contract, some people tend to be overtly encouraging in job interviews before later sending you a standard rejection email.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #26748 on: August 16, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »

Vector- If they have not communicated a specific reason, I am going to hazard a guess that you have references that are TOO good, in a field not entirely overlapping with the position you applied for. Therefore they consider the risk that you are settling for them to give you a pay check while you keep looking for your career job and suddenly quit without warning.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26749 on: August 16, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »

If you wanted to be bold, you could contact them, by phone or email or whatever, and ask them to level with you, and let you know what specifically made them feel you weren't a "hard worker", and reassure them that you're worth their time as well. Of course, you'll probably want to be a bit diplomatic about it.

If nothing else, it would show a commitment, and strong interest in the position... which might help relieve their worries.

I've heard many times that this is a good idea, with the emphasis being that you want to know where you need to focus on improving.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26750 on: August 16, 2013, 06:38:50 pm »

I already did that.  That is why I know that I was actually rejected.  I called my interviewer while she was on holiday, knowing full well she was on holiday, and asked about things.

Apparently after a lot of mumbo-jumbo it turned out that she couldn't find 7/9 of the results of the task she had asked me to do and hadn't bothered to ask about them during the interview, which may have actually been the sole reason I wasn't hired.  I put them in the spreadsheet.  Right under where she had put her demonstration, as I thought was a perfectly expected and sensible thing to do.

Eh?

Anyway, she said she felt "very positive" and would talk to folks again.

I've heard many times that this is a good idea, with the emphasis being that you want to know where you need to focus on improving.

It's in four different fields, though, LOL.  Russian poetry translation, pure mathematics, teaching/curriculum development, and comparative literature.  SHE'S TOO TALENTED

Considering asking my old programming professor for a reference.  I did really well in his class.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26751 on: August 16, 2013, 06:41:28 pm »

It's in four different fields, though, LOL.  Russian poetry translation, pure mathematics, teaching/curriculum development, and comparative literature.  SHE'S TOO TALENTED

Considering asking my old programming professor for a reference.  I did really well in his class.

Not usually in terms of skills/education, I think, but in terms of presentation.  Resume/interview/etc.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26752 on: August 16, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »

SalmonGod:

Vector- If they have not communicated a specific reason, I am going to hazard a guess that you have references that are TOO good, in a field not entirely overlapping with the position you applied for. Therefore they consider the risk that you are settling for them to give you a pay check while you keep looking for your career job and suddenly quit without warning.

Sorry, I was trying to respond to this.  They said some things that translated to "I think you'd be too hard-nosed and not willing to do menial labor, and not invested in the job either," which I then disproved handily in my most gentle tone of voice.  They didn't say anything nasty about my resume or interview skills per se.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26753 on: August 16, 2013, 06:46:45 pm »

this is off-topic but i must ask this sometime

how does one convey the mysterious russian soul in english

explain this to me please.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26754 on: August 16, 2013, 06:49:46 pm »

With a hell of a lot of bickering... ?

I dunno, I have a co-translator and mostly we fight a lot over whether or not something is acceptable grammar.  He goes "but your language could be so much more flexible!  You're losing out on expressive power!" and I go "Professor, this doesn't make any sense"

And then he feeds me sandwiches

Like I said, it's complicated.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26755 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:43 pm »

well what you just said gave me a really great idea but i can't draw well enough to do the baseline for it. basically cartoon shorts of the lives and times of bay12 as interpreted by lordslowpoke in cartoon form (with hammy voice acting!) but then i'd need a couple male and female voice actors since i'm not nearly good enough one to do voices outside my gender, or find enough fools which will go on this adventure with me - and i'd probably need to stop saying "i can't draw fucking anything" and, you know, do something for a change

also i'm doing tedious photoshop work again. it's tedious and i am currently shamelessly procrastinating.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26756 on: August 16, 2013, 07:03:27 pm »

I'd be willing to offer my services for such a thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26757 on: August 16, 2013, 07:38:41 pm »

I have a question about Glee

Is Rachael supposed to be the real villain of the show?

Or does the show just lack the self-awareness to realize what a terrible person she is and that she isn't anywhere close to as unpopular or unliked as she thinks she is and she is just using it as an excuse to be a self-centered terrible person?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26758 on: August 16, 2013, 07:52:20 pm »

I'd be willing to offer my services for such a thing.

...creative projectwards, ho?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26759 on: August 16, 2013, 07:58:29 pm »

We'll see what happens!
Pages: 1 ... 1782 1783 [1784] 1785 1786 ... 3345