Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1771 1772 [1773] 1774 1775 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692123 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: R.I.P Bambi Edition
« Reply #26580 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:12 pm »

The one setting that actually made Mechs make sense was MechWarrior (or Robotec I believe was its name)
I'd argue Starsiege did significantly better on that front.
(Though hovertanks using confiscated alien antigravity technology and active-repair nanite responsive armor were the BEST)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26581 on: August 09, 2013, 11:23:14 pm »

As for the Cloud type of character, there's Chrono, Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, the hero of Dragon Quest

You know... Cloud and a silent protagonist are not sort of the same thing. A lot of characters project a sort of personality at you even if they don't actually speak.

Also Snake talks a LOT!
Not in his pre-Playstation games, he doesn't :I

Not to nit-pick, but I think Snake talked about as much in Metal Gear 2 for the MSX as he did in Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation (mostly just replies, to facilitate plot-dumping). And they had equally bonkers-crazy boss characters, who had equally serious dramatic scenes with one another.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:25:16 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26582 on: August 09, 2013, 11:36:03 pm »

Fine fine, I mean Metal Gear.  And Snake has a line in that one, too... but there's a particular point I'm trying to make, which I'm sure everyone now understands and I shall never explain again.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26583 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:32 pm »

All I wanted was to build giant mechanical nuclear-capable dinosaurs for peace and sustainability.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26584 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:26 am »

I have to admit... I'm not really a fan of giant mechs...

Awww.

I like giant mechs that look like animals or monsters, but not so much giant mechs that look like people.
You say that as if you desire a weapon that can function as the great missing link in warfare; a metal gear to fill the gap between infantry and artillery.

Why yes!  Do you need some funding for this... Metal gear?!
How about a crossbreed Metal Gear/Armored Core?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26585 on: August 10, 2013, 12:16:42 am »

You know what?  Why not.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26586 on: August 10, 2013, 12:22:10 am »

Damn it Sokolov I said I wanted legs on the thing. What am I going to do with a tank that has jet engines strapped to it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26587 on: August 10, 2013, 12:33:13 am »

I'm late on this, but I actually loved FF12. I can't decide whether I liked it better than FF6, even. However, the gameplay is terrible and I readily admit this. I loved it in spite of that. As a game, it's rubbish. There are also too many padding sequences fucking up the flow of the narrative. The thing is, I love worldbuilding, and as a setting exploration, it's magnificent. Spoilers ahead, just in case.

My understanding is that FFXIII went too far in this direction, thrusting the player into an unrelatable world that very nearly requires a glossary to understand. I couldn't get into the game, myself. FFXII hit the sweet spot here, for me, because it had the depth but played with familiar tropes, its invented terminology was reasonably intuitive, and a lot of the really deep stuff was optional (nobody forces you to read the bestiary entries, for instance, and the game makes sense whether you do or not).

12 is also the only game since 6 that's achieved the feel of ambiguous protagonist, which is something I adore. Actually, in general, 12 has some of the best characterizations (and voice acting, for that matter) of any game I've played. I've never encountered a villain as sympathetic as Vayne before, a puppet master as inscrutable as Venat*, or a ham quite as perfect as Cid. I can't think of a twin story off-hand that I like better than Gabranth and Basch in any medium, but I admit I might just be forgetting or unfamiliar with something.

But, again. The gameplay is a miserable slog-fest. The game's only worth it if you have the time and inclination to put up with that. I wouldn't be able to play it, these days. It would've made a kickass TV series, enough so that I sometimes just watch the cutscenes. But, yeah, anyway, rant finished.

*Was Venat evil? I still don't know! I can't actually tell if it was trying to manipulate Vayne into conquering the world and then possessing him, or if it legitimately wanted to free humanity from the Occuria and did what it believed was necessary to make that happen.

Damn it Sokolov I said I wanted legs on the thing. What am I going to do with a tank that has jet engines strapped to it.
What AREN'T you going to do?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26588 on: August 10, 2013, 12:36:50 am »

Man, if they'd just spent a little bit more time on characterization and support conversations... I loved Balthier and Fran, I thought that Basch was super-awesome, Penelo was cute, and I liked the limit break system as well, oddly enough.  And the emphasis on fighting megabeasts.

But the gameplay was SUCH a mess.  "Play an MMO without any of the MM or O advantages!"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26589 on: August 10, 2013, 12:38:09 am »

God, that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26590 on: August 10, 2013, 01:15:23 am »

From what I heard the Russians used their jet engine tank as a snow blower... they built it to blow mines away in mine fields, didn't work out so well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26591 on: August 10, 2013, 01:23:36 am »

From what I heard the Russians used their jet engine tank as a snow blower... they built it to blow mines away in mine fields, didn't work out so well.
Nah, you're confusing it with the Canadian minefield remover that was turned into a snow blower because it just blew the mines around in a hurricane of lethal hilarity. The Russian one was operational by Soviet standards.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26592 on: August 10, 2013, 01:30:25 am »

Shagohod is definitely not a snow blower.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26593 on: August 10, 2013, 01:46:30 am »

I don't know man, nuclear warheads fired through a railgun can clear a lot of snow.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26594 on: August 10, 2013, 01:57:11 am »

The one setting that actually made Mechs make sense was MechWarrior (or Robotec I believe was its name)
I'd argue Starsiege did significantly better on that front.
(Though hovertanks using confiscated alien antigravity technology and active-repair nanite responsive armor were the BEST)

And when Starsiege actually USES Mechs instead of just battle suits

Unless those things were in fact huge (Mind you given the tons that Mechs weigh... Their size seems to be because they aren't too dense, though that makes sense given that it is a universe where micronization did not occur except when it does due to stupidity on the writer's fault)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:59:10 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1771 1772 [1773] 1774 1775 ... 3345