Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1769 1770 [1771] 1772 1773 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691656 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: R.I.P Bambi Edition
« Reply #26550 on: August 09, 2013, 08:47:35 pm »

... Crys? Apparently welsh for... a shirt?

Shirt into your arms. I'm not sure how this works, but... MZ, I think novel is trying to gift you clothing. No clue what this entails.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26551 on: August 09, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »

A GIRDLE
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26552 on: August 09, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »

The ellipsis is cool, but we need to stop abusing it.
I... I don't know what to say..!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26553 on: August 09, 2013, 08:56:48 pm »

A GIRDLE
... and now I have this incredibly strange mental image of a giant tying a bunch of people together and wearing them as a girdle. MZ would be the littlest giant of them all, so it'd only take like three novels to complete the... garment? Accessory? What do girdles get classified as, anyway?

Headache+sleepy+minor hunger=the mind wanders.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26554 on: August 09, 2013, 09:05:02 pm »

A GIRDLE
... and now I have this incredibly strange mental image of a giant tying a bunch of people together and wearing them as a girdle. MZ would be the littlest giant of them all, so it'd only take like three novels to complete the... garment? Accessory? What do girdles get classified as, anyway?
Probably a bodice, since it's the part above the waist without sleeves.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26555 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10:49 pm »

But what category does a bodice fall under? Does it count as a garment or accessory? Like. Is it more a shirt or a belt? My exhausted aching brain requests a thoroughgoing textile taxonomy.
Ask not!
Ask!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26556 on: August 09, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »

As for the Cloud type of character, there's Chrono, Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, the hero of Dragon Quest (THE JRPG in Japan)... my understanding is that it was a truly bog-standard JRPG convention at the time.  The angsty blandness and so on, no, I'm pretty sure that that came from Cloud; but the "blank slate" idea was very common.

Ah, you're right about it being common in video games in general.  I was thinking only in terms of jrpgs, where it's actually less common.

I also wish that JRPGs in general had difficulty levels.  As-is it seems that most of the game is really easy, and then they have BONUS CHALLENGE MISSIONS that are hard to the point of being pointless.

And yeah... I never played jrpgs for the gameplay.  I played them for the creative settings, artwork, and epic stories.  Their style felt completely alien compared to any kind of story I'd known from any other culture or media, and it fascinated me.  Keep in mind that I got into final fantasy before I had internet or knew what anime was... like 1990...

I think growing up this sort of thing was what most appealed to me about the game, exploring the crazy and unexpected world.

It's one of the reasons I fell in love with japanese video games and anime in the first place.  They're so free spirited about crazy genre-mixing.  But the best part about it is there's usually something that draws it all together and makes it feel natural.  FF7 just didn't have that for me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26557 on: August 09, 2013, 09:39:54 pm »

A bodice is a garment, as is a girdle, but a girdle is more like a belt than a shirt in terms of coverage.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26558 on: August 09, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »

There we go!

Now to begin formulating proper husbandry patterns for creating fertile offspring.

I think the proper thing to crossbreed with a girdle would be a sock. Maybe a hat.

... nah. Hat can be, like, second generation. Or whatever. Girdle/sock, then Girk/hat. Or I guess Sodle/hat. Not sure which is a more amusing word.

Soon, the hybrid Girk swarms will infest and overrun the world of fashion! And maybe Oceania or something.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:52:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26559 on: August 09, 2013, 10:05:27 pm »

As for the Cloud type of character, there's Chrono, Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, the hero of Dragon Quest

You know... Cloud and a silent protagonist are not sort of the same thing. A lot of characters project a sort of personality at you even if they don't actually speak.

Also Snake talks a LOT!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26560 on: August 09, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »

As for the Cloud type of character, there's Chrono, Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, the hero of Dragon Quest

You know... Cloud and a silent protagonist are not sort of the same thing. A lot of characters project a sort of personality at you even if they don't actually speak.

Also Snake talks a LOT!
UH-OH!!! THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26561 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:05 pm »

Not in his pre-Playstation games, he doesn't :I

I'm trying to say that there was a particular reason for Cloud to be written the way he was.  Say nothing of the other party members, but Cloud there was a reason for.  You can pick on semantics; all I'm trying to articulate is that he was a deconstruction of a certain idea, which was "the main character is there for you to project yourself onto."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26562 on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:52 pm »

Also Snake talks a LOT!
Yeah, I find it absolutely wonderful when demiurges manage to create silent characters with character. Charlie Chaplin is no projection oh nope.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26563 on: August 09, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »

Sort of...

Yet they always had this implied personality. If I were to draw a character who was a lot like Cloud it would be Yu from Persona 4 who was also supposed to be a "you".

Yet both Cloud and Yu have their own distinct personality (sort of... you could still make them very doofy... but there is an implied course)

Yet still the "Player Avatar" silent protagonist and a silent protagonist are not the same thing.

Yeah, I find it absolutely wonderful when demiurges manage to create silent characters with character. Charlie Chaplin is no projection oh nope.

Think of it this way. Other M takes Samus and somehow even though she has been almost a complete blank slate and has rarely spoken a single word... Is out of character.

There is a personality beyond speaking.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #26564 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »

Quote from: Frumple
*clothes genetics*

JOIN THE THNEED MASTER RACE.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 1769 1770 [1771] 1772 1773 ... 3345