Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1727 1728 [1729] 1730 1731 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3691403 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Rose-tinted Edition
« Reply #25920 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:52 pm »

I'm just making light of the odd overreaction of people who apparently found it insulting to state that they probably made a mistake for buying a laptop that didn't work how he intended it to. I mean damn, in terms of insulting someone for making a poor choice, I certainly could of done worse. I didn't even call him an idiot, or curse more than ten times in one paragraph.

I wasn't aware you could "make light of" a situation by shifting the edge of your jab to a larger audience.
I suppose we have distinctly different senses of humor then.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25921 on: July 25, 2013, 08:22:34 pm »

Come now, people. We're here to express our pissoffance, not to piss people off. Common sense is subjective and relative to background knowledge of the subject at hand, and sometimes being right is the wrong thing to be.

Can we move on before someone gets hurt?
I actually have a headache thanks to this thread and am starting to get a little mental because of said headache so sure. Right now what pisses me off is Pewdiepie though that's probably because he's an obnoxious fuckwit who makes forced memes and rape jokes. I want to force feed him the manuscripts for Adam Sandler's past three or four movies because of this then post the recording of this on Vimeo for some ironic reason.

I really don't care if I'm not giving children any credit. The fact of the matter still is that until a child is of legal age their parents are supposed to do the right thing and be involved in their child's development. That includes making sure they are involved in their child's internet and general multimedia usage, among other things.
While you are right about that in theory, it's really difficult to do that in practice. Children today grow up in a very different world than I did, my friends 4 year olds are already familiar with touchscreens and stuff. It's very difficult to keep that under control until they are 18. I mean when I think of the shit I pulled off as a teenager...
Still no argument for censorship, but it is not easy for parents today.
That just adds to the argument that if a person is not up to the difficult responsibilities of bringing a new life into the world and raising that new life into a proper and upstanding citizen they should not have children or engage in any activity which could lead to conception. It's kind of common sense to me that if you're going to bring a new life into the world that you must be responsible for said offspring until they are ready to lead the nest, otherwise in a few generations the grandchildren of our grandchildren will be eating lard out of a bucket because that's all they had to eat, Carls Jr. would have custody of their children, the fields would be irrigated with sports drinks, our judicial system would consist of blame games and "Yo Mama" jokes and Costco will have a law school near the back. While I love the movie where this happens I think if this happened in real life it wouldn't be so enjoyable for the most part.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:24:29 pm by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25922 on: July 25, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »

That just adds to the argument that if a person is not up to the difficult responsibilities of bringing a new life into the world and raising that new life into a proper and upstanding citizen they should not have children or engage in any activity which could lead to conception.
Well, yeah, but you know how it is in reality - the people who have the most children are not necessarily the most qualified to raise children, and I doubt that has ever been different.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25923 on: July 25, 2013, 08:45:24 pm »

That just adds to the argument that if a person is not up to the difficult responsibilities of bringing a new life into the world and raising that new life into a proper and upstanding citizen they should not have children or engage in any activity which could lead to conception.
Well, yeah, but you know how it is in reality - the people who have the most children are not necessarily the most qualified to raise children, and I doubt that has ever been different.
Then I guess I'm an idealist, a Brujah in the flesh. I kind of think that people who cannot responsibly raise their children should have their children given to people who can, like they do in the 1920s novel Herland though without an indigenous nation of parthenogenic women who only give birth to female children. It makes more sense than letting people who are irresponsible play a part in the creation and bringing up of the next generation of humans.

I recommend Herland by the way and if you can find them the other books in the trilogy (Moving the Mountain and With Her in Ourland) written by first-generation feminist author Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's actually a good read, and I say this despite my disliking for how things are going today with the struggles for equality and egalitarianism for all on every front. Kind of inspired some homebrew content for my own role-playing game setting I've had brewing in my head since I was a child. Off-topic but I thought it appropriate since I mentioned Herland in the first paragraph.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25924 on: July 25, 2013, 08:53:31 pm »

Eh. I have no problem with idealism and utopic ideas, but if you think that stuff through you can get pretty horrible results from that. Taking children away for "better upbringing" is pretty high on the totalitarian state checklist. Even if well-intentioned, it's not desirable in reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25925 on: July 25, 2013, 09:45:32 pm »

Bauglir has the right of it.  Don't go "blah blah you brought it upon yourself" unless the person's done something legitimately horrendous.
I like you.

Thank you =]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25926 on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:36 pm »

Eh. I have no problem with idealism and utopic ideas, but if you think that stuff through you can get pretty horrible results from that. Taking children away for "better upbringing" is pretty high on the totalitarian state checklist. Even if well-intentioned, it's not desirable in reality.
Maybe this reality is why despite my desires to settle down and have children is why I would rather fall in love with two-dimensional girls from video games and anime. I'm finding myself more and more attracted to fictional characters because of how people today act and finding myself wanting to have children or settle down less and less. I don't have high expectations - I just want a gentle and happy woman that will love me and will be willing to work to put food on the table while I stay at home and take care of the child or two we would have together. It seems as the seasons change and the years go on it's more likely that I'll not have that kind of a life.

I see how parents don't responsibly raise their children and instead choose to let multimedia devices babysit them while I see what will be the next stock of adults and how they act as a result of said criminal neglect and I find myself losing hope for humanity with each passing moment. I think about the possibilities that humans have as both individuals and a whole on a day to day basis and find myself saddened by how this potential doesn't ever come close to being met by most people. Humans could be so much more than they are today if they took responsibility for their actions and focused their attentions on bettering themselves, the world around them and society as a whole instead of focusing on ogrish things like excess of decadence and the base nature to label the world while coveting and desiring nothing but wealth and power.

The reason why I make posts about indulgences I make are because despite the bouts of sunny disposition I have been in a near-constant state of depression since I was eight or nine years old, which resulted in about twenty suicide attempts and two stays in a mental institution during my times in elementary school alone. The hate I have towards many a person comes not just from the Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder that developed as a result from the abuse at the hands of my brother, the church and many of my peers but also because I am saddened by my loss of faith in humanity that resulted when I began that spiral into depression and now near-complete isolation from the outside world that began when I was eight or nine years old.

I still hold hope that things will change and that perhaps I won't die alone or perhaps won't kill myself by an overdose of caffeine and B complex vitamins like I have been considering for the past month now. I have to hold hope while there is still a shred of humanity that remains in the very fiber of my being. I have to hold onto these ideals and perhaps hope that maybe they will mean something some day. If I don't then maybe by the end of next year I will have ended my own life, if not the end of this one. I have seen my death over and over in my dreams to where I am convinced that I've seen my end. My apartment that I am in right now looks like the one I die in, as does the bed I sleep in look like the one I pass on in. The people that surround me in my final moments may not really be the people that I would have a family with but the two-dimensional wifes, sisters and daughters I have thanks to my love of video games and anime that I have had since I was a child. I hope this is not the case, I truly do, and I hold onto my ideals and my beliefs in a desperate attempt to make sure this vision doesn't become like the countless others I've had since a child.

God help me.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25927 on: July 25, 2013, 10:18:20 pm »

-snip-
I can empathize with that in a way maybe, and I'm tempted to give you you a "keep it together because some things get better over time" speech. I am morbid enough to wonder however how you would go about killing yourself with caffeine and vitamins... If that would work I would be so dead by now, apart from the alcohol poisonings and heroin...
Apart from that, try to let go of unrealistic idealism, stop isolating yourself, experience people as they actually are in reality, ignore or avoid the negative, find the positive in that (and it is there) and re-adjust your expectations.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:23:18 pm by XXSockXX »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25928 on: July 25, 2013, 11:36:18 pm »

MadMalkavian, I am one of those who believes that many things about the world are getting worse, but I disagree thoroughly with your observations about parenting.

I don't think people are spending less time with or being less responsible in general with their children than they ever have.  Yeah, kids are spending lots of time with multimedia.  I don't think this is a sign of neglect.  When there wasn't so much multimedia, kids just spent a ton of time running around outdoors unsupervised.  Usually getting into trouble.  While that may have been healthier in ways, with today's fear culture and heavy restrictions on parenting, you can't even let young children play outside freely if you live in a populated area.  Unless it's in a fenced in backyard or something.  And parents are generally more time-constricted than they were in the past. 

I understand your response may be something along the lines of people without time and resources to dedicate shouldn't have children, but then what you advocate is for only the rich to have children.

Helicopter parents (those who hover constantly over their children's shoulders and get involved in everything they do) are also seen as unhealthy for many aspects of a child's psychological development.  They make it difficult to grow up to become independent, to take risks, accept mistakes, and cope with the world they've been sheltered from.

I understand that parenting is a subject where it's difficult not to feel strongly about your ideals, and for good reason.  However, as someone who has had to deal with the realities of raising two children while in his twenties, going to school, working full-time, with a spouse who has emotional issues due to childhood trauma and was going to school, and working full-time for an income that qualifies for government assistance... your perspective is hard for me to read.  Just saying... I wouldn't get all misanthropic and despaired for the future because of your observations about modern parenting.  Much of it isn't as bad as you think, and other stuff isn't as much due to irresponsibility as you think.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:37:54 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25929 on: July 25, 2013, 11:51:07 pm »

I'm going to add that I'm a woman, in case you missed it, and I am frankly a far more decent person offline than I am online.  Now, I'm not exactly gentle unless your definition of "gentle" includes a soft hand in a mail glove wrapped in velvet plated with steel, and "happy" includes someone who takes great pleasure in being kind of unstable and moody.  But I'm very much a career woman.  I get up at 4 or 5 AM every morning and put in my 16-hour days.  If I get married, it will have to be to someone who's willing to be the homemaker.  Period.  I'm not kidding about it.

I'm not making any sort of offer or something, but what I'm trying to say is that there's lots and lots and lots of good people out there.  I'm by no means unique.  It's not so hard to find someone with a little less steel and a little more softness, since the abundance of the former is the unusual part.

And, as far as the attention to self-betterment goes... I won't say anything.  You can read between the lines.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25930 on: July 26, 2013, 12:10:17 am »

I have the feeling that I just missed a metric asston of implied or hidden meaning or subtext in the posts behind me. I'm both happy to leave it be and frustrated that I can't decipher it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25931 on: July 26, 2013, 02:01:25 am »

God I hate straight men sometimes.  I sent a imgur post about Spiderman and Deadpool doing a rather "intimate" dance to a friend who likes Deadpool and Spiderman... he pretty much told me "when in doubt, don't post."  Apparently he's offended?  God you straight men (not all just some) and your weird... I don't know what to call it.  Like every other gender and sexual orientation is fine with all combinations of gender pairings, then suddenly straight men can't stand men/men, especially if it's about men they look up to?...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25932 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:58 am »

God I hate straight men sometimes.  I sent a imgur post about Spiderman and Deadpool doing a rather "intimate" dance to a friend who likes Deadpool and Spiderman... he pretty much told me "when in doubt, don't post."  Apparently he's offended?  God you straight men (not all just some) and your weird... I don't know what to call it.  Like every other gender and sexual orientation is fine with all combinations of gender pairings, then suddenly straight men can't stand men/men, especially if it's about men they look up to?...
That would be fear.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #25933 on: July 26, 2013, 02:31:50 am »

I don't find it surprising that a straight guy wouldn't want to see two comic book characters he enjoys "intimately" rubbing up against each other. It's pretty easy to understand why the average straight male enjoys most other gender pairings, but male/male is uncomfortable. Straight guys aren't into other guys (obviously) so they can't get a lot of appreciation at male/male pairings. They can however, get enjoyment out of girl/girl pairings since it involves something he was originally attracted to in the first place. I'd be offended to if someone suddenly sent me an explicit picture out of the blue.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25934 on: July 26, 2013, 02:43:28 am »

Hmm, he is uncomfortable with homosexuality? I wonder what Adler would say on the matter...
Pages: 1 ... 1727 1728 [1729] 1730 1731 ... 3345