Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 [1720] 1721 1722 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3690293 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Star Bores Edition
« Reply #25785 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:10 pm »

Reminds me of this common complaint: "Why isn't Princess Leia a queen?"

At which I go "She hasn't been coroneted"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25786 on: July 22, 2013, 09:34:15 pm »

Is she still a Queen/Princess if her monarchy was a republic, and that republic gave way to an empire that was ruled by somebody with no blood or legal relation? Unless the books in between the two trilogies have a lot of explaining to do in terms of the relationship between Annakin Skywalker and Palpatine.  :o

Well at least the First Galactic Empire is open minded.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25787 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:10 pm »

There are so many ways one can have a monarchy while also having a republic.

For example it could have a multi-tier system where the monarchy deals with internal affairs. It could have a council where the queen is always a member of (and thus the monarchy always has one vote).

I always like to picture the reason why Princess Peach isn't a "Queen" is because she doesn't have absolute power.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25788 on: July 22, 2013, 10:16:17 pm »

Sure, that's probably what made them good to an extent, but there were so many hints at stuff happening outside the main plot line that I was frustrated throughout the series for not exploring them.

Personally, I think this is a mark of sci-fi well done. About the characters, but set in a world so amazing that you want to know more, you want to see more stories in this universe, that there's so much hinted at and so much potential that it leaves you hungry for more. At least when I was little, the movie did exactly that.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25789 on: July 23, 2013, 01:13:02 am »

The original trilogy were good movies, but they weren't amazing movies.  However, they were incredibly groundbreaking movies.  There had been almost nothing like it before in terms of special effects and pacing.  It earned a special place in our culture by being an unforgettable experience for a generation.  To anybody watching them for the first time now, they're just an alright story in a good setting, and the presentation was well-executed in most places where it mattered.

The second trilogy came out at after flashy effects and action movie pacing were completely normalized.  The people going to see it weren't very conscious of that.  They held onto those expectations that were built up by an artifact of timing.  What they found were movies forced to stand on the same merits as any other, and they didn't succeed very well at that.  So... huge disappointment and backlash.

And some of the stuff they did was just incredibly stupid.  Jar Jar Binks was 100x more annoying than C3PO ever was, and was treated as much a main character as the Jedi.  The pod race deserved to be 1/4 as long as it was.  And... mitichlorians.  Fucking mitichlorians.  Worst idea ever.  EVER.  When they had that conversation about Anakin's mitichlorian counts, I was in pure shock that they would do that.  At that point, I was like "Umm... ok... just... just give me a bunch of lightsaber fights and I'll be happy... ok?  Stop trying to do anything else... just lightsaber fights."  Coincidentally, I was happier with Ep 2 & 3.

The best work to come out of the entire Star Wars franchise, in my opinion, would be Genndy Tartakosvky's Clone Wars mini-series.  Blows all the movies away, even the old trilogy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25790 on: July 23, 2013, 01:15:30 am »

I can agree on the clone wars miniseries thing. BAWS.
I'm just waiting for whatever thing they decide to do with Yoda and his origin.
They better not fuck it up
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25791 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:22 am »

I really wish that I could forget and forgive myself for the embarassing miatakes I've made in the past, but they just keep popping into my head again. It's really messing up my ability to think clearly and be calm.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:31:39 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25792 on: July 23, 2013, 01:33:24 am »

I really wish that I could forget and forgive myself for the embarassing miatakes I've made in the past, but they just keep popping into my head again. It's really messing up my ability to think clearly and be calm.

Like an endless game of psychological whack-a-mole!

(sorry, I promise I'm not mocking your problems)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25793 on: July 23, 2013, 02:04:40 am »

Like an endless game of psychological whack-a-mole!

(sorry, I promise I'm not mocking your problems)
Tis fine. I actually chuckled for a moment
It's FEF, not FEOF

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25794 on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:44 am »

I suppose it's just my love of scale talking. The original trilogy, despite everything good about them, felt very small and character-centric. Sure, that's probably what made them good to an extent, but there were so many hints at stuff happening outside the main plot line that I was frustrated throughout the series for not exploring them. I wanted to know more about the setting, not the characters. Funny thing is, I've watched several movies (ie Looper) where this exact thing happened that should have made me pine for moar detail, but I didn't. Probably because it was set in one primary location while SW was literally around the galaxy and I couldn't get my mind off that.

That's pretty much a big difference between modern sci-fi and ye olden sci-fi of yesteryear two decades ago. Older movies were often more character focused, as much because of the budget and available special effects as anything else. I think that tended to make them better actors because they were still the focus of the scene and they knew it. Actors who are in front of a green screen for large swathes of the movie lose some of that. They're also reacting to things that often aren't there too, which can make many things seem awkward until CGI swoops in to edit them. They are, in a sense, sidecast along the CGI presentation that is trying to express the world building you want, and I think the acting is often weaker for it.

I think one of the main reasons Firefly was as good as it was was indeed that they built the whole ship as a set. Not just because the actors could feel the place, but also because they had to adjust the camerawork to fit it, giving the audience a better feeling of being there too.

Is she still a Queen/Princess if her monarchy was a republic, and that republic gave way to an empire that was ruled by somebody with no blood or legal relation? Unless the books in between the two trilogies have a lot of explaining to do in terms of the relationship between Annakin Skywalker and Palpatine.  :o

Well at least the First Galactic Empire is open minded.

Leia is the princess of Alderaan, the princess(es) of the second trilogy were princesses of Naboo.

Seriously Max. Get your confusing made-up universe politics-knowledge straight.

:P
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25795 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59:42 am »

mitichlorians.  Worst idea ever

I still hold to the idea that they could have worked if they were simply a marker for being force sensitive. A sort of microbe that only appears on those capable of the force and in higher quantities based on their force potential.

Yet the way Starwars handles it... the best way to have the ultimate Jedi is to get someone without an immune system and infect them with mitichlorians and keep them in a airtight suit... There are absolutely 0 reasons why this shouldn't work given the material on it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25796 on: July 23, 2013, 06:03:05 am »

Ok well how is this... Are you still a princess if the planet that you are meant to be a princess of is destroyed by a space station so fucking huge it is often mistaken for a moon, leaving only a field of asteroids and a disturbance in the force so strong that Obi Wan checked his pants before saying anything? Are you then the official princess of a haunted heap of unpopulated space rock, or can you drop the damn title?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25797 on: July 23, 2013, 06:06:31 am »

Ok well how is this... Are you still a princess if the planet that you are meant to be a princess of is destroyed by a space station so fucking huge it is often mistaken for a moon, leaving only a field of asteroids and a disturbance in the force so strong that Obi Wan checked his pants before saying anything? Are you then the official princess of a haunted heap of unpopulated space rock, or can you drop the damn title?

You are still considered Royalty because royal blood still runs through your veins and thus any home you have would be a noble house.

Leia would, for example, be a prime candidate for royal matchmaking even after her planet's destruction.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25798 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:23 am »

I swear, by the gods of the woods and the god of winters blessing, I will scour every scrap of starwars canon, from book to movie to game, and usurp that damn title. Princess Leia will be known as 'That slugs concubine' when I'm done tracing her wretched blood line! Nobody will dare utter the phrase Princess Leia but in hushed tones and with blades close by. It will become a pox to even suggest she was once a legitimate royal heir. Wars may rage, mountains may rise and fall, the flow of time may lay waste to all we know, but nobody will ever again speak of our silly haired 'princess'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #25799 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:23 am »

So my merchant ships' AIs work for a while, except they suddenly teleport to (0,0) every once in a while. Eventually, all the ships are stacked on (0,0), with only the lonely, frightened player ship wondering where all its friends went.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 [1720] 1721 1722 ... 3345