Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1696 1697 [1698] 1699 1700 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3694921 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Ragechievement Edition
« Reply #25455 on: July 12, 2013, 04:23:22 pm »

Ah ha. So what's the minimum safe distance one needs to be from a neti pot to burn it to ash without the possibility of brain amoeba? Because these things sound like they're in the "Purge with Fire" category.

Also I need to go check what these things look like so I can make sure to keep the minimum safe distance going at all times. How did anyone ever think these things were a good idea?

E: Bloody hell, these things look like something that'd be used in the mummification process. First pull the brain out with a hook and then deep clean the inside of the skull. They're vaguely terrifying! I'm fairly sure I'd rather die of congestion than use one of those things, honestly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:26:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25456 on: July 12, 2013, 04:24:29 pm »

The amoeba are very, very rare in American water.  So, 99.9..... 9% of the time it helps you out, but once in a while you die gruesomely.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25457 on: July 12, 2013, 04:26:31 pm »

Oh for fuck's sake. They're pot-shaped things that you use to clean your nose out with a saline solution. The brain eating amoebas come from the water you use to create the saline solution, and have nothing to do with the pot.

That's it. It has nothing to do with injecting yourself with amoebas for kicks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25459 on: July 12, 2013, 04:29:35 pm »

Oh for fuck's sake. They're pot-shaped things that you use to clean your nose out with a saline solution. The brain eating amoebas come from the water you use to create the saline solution, and have nothing to do with the pot.

That's it. It has nothing to do with injecting yourself with amoebas for kicks.
... you stick a pot spout up your freaking nose, and then apparently water comes out the other side. Only about a tenth of my revulsion comes from the amoeba potential. Maybe less. Those things look like a torture device.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25460 on: July 12, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »

It's basically just a sort of funnel for your nose. I've done nasal irrigation through just snorting water out of my hands before (which after hearing this conversation I plan to never do again), and I can say it really does help a lot with congested sinuses.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25461 on: July 12, 2013, 04:32:30 pm »

It's often useful to have a bus stop right outside your apartment. But not friday nights.

What's amazing is that most of the loud people hanging there will happily wait over half an hour for a bus to arrive to take them downtown. It would take them 10 fucking minutes to just walk.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25462 on: July 12, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

okay wait what

This suggested remedy involves brain eating amoebas? Why was that not included as a side effect in the original suggestion?

Because, I'm not sure about this, but. I consider "Side effects may include brain eating amoebas" to be information pertinent to an informed decision. Yeah?
The amoeba are very, very rare in American water.  So, 99.9..... 9% of the time it helps you out, but once in a while you die gruesomely.
Naegleria fowleri? :P
Or perhaps one of the Acanthamoeba species?

I'm siding with Vector. Ensure, at least, that the water you're using is safe and preferably sanitized to common sense. They are rare, but their habitats are generally in waters IN GENERAL--stagnant ones mostly, (AFAIK). Bluh, parasitology and all.

...And no, the natural habitat of any of those amoeba genuses are not the neti pot >_>

This suggested remedy involves brain eating amoebas? Why was that not included as a side effect in the original suggestion?
That's the presence of a pathogen.

...That happens everywhere, really. Disease is all around you~

PPE: 5 people O_o

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25463 on: July 12, 2013, 04:33:43 pm »

It's basically just a sort of funnel for your nose. I've done nasal irrigation through just snorting water out of my hands before (which after hearing this conversation I plan to never do again), and I can say it really does help a lot with congested sinuses.
Brain eating amoebas: the only time cocaine could be a healthier alternative to cleaning out your sinuses.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25464 on: July 12, 2013, 04:34:54 pm »

Brain eating amoebas: the only time cocaine could be a healthier alternative to cleaning out your sinuses.
The levels of logical fallacy are high in this one.

:P

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25465 on: July 12, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »

In fairness the amoeba in question apparently only likes warm bodies of water and has only infected people in the southern regions of America, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe from anything like that this far north, but all the same...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25466 on: July 12, 2013, 04:38:24 pm »

Why thank you.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25467 on: July 12, 2013, 04:39:15 pm »

According to my sources cocaine is pretty good at clearing out sinuses, assuming you're not attempting to take it nasally. I don't trust these sources myself, so...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25468 on: July 12, 2013, 04:43:16 pm »

In fairness the amoeba in question apparently only likes warm bodies of water and has only infected people in the southern regions of America, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe from anything like that this far north, but all the same...
Err, no.

Those amoebae are spread out, worldwide. Their natural habitat is water. Fresh, brackish or saltwater. Stagnant or not. Even moist soil or decaying vegetation may bear their kind (cyst or trophozoite..their egg and 'adult/mobile' form).

Chlorinated water = none of that amoeba stuff :I Which is usually the case in water facilities in cities/water services or companies. Heavily chlorinated.

Don't you worry though, because unless your water [*drinking*] supply has been unchecked and uncleaned in the past..month(?) or probably exhibiting signs of microorganic life in it, you're pretty much good.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25469 on: July 12, 2013, 05:05:42 pm »

Only Madagascar is safe from every disease.
Pages: 1 ... 1696 1697 [1698] 1699 1700 ... 3345