Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1659 1660 [1661] 1662 1663 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701409 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Go To Bed Edition
« Reply #24900 on: June 24, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »

They have a right to say that and boycott what they want, too.
I know, but my point is that he won't change just because people tell him to, just as we don't change because he tells us to. That boycott just hurt everyone.

It does? It's not like this guy is going to cure cancer if only we can get over his beliefs. He's making a game.

Bah damn 504 ate my reply to this discussion and I can't be arsed to retype all of it. But the basic jist is... yeah the above by Nenjin.

Saying a boycott based on the bigotry of the creator of a GAME is going to "hurt everyone" is just ridiculous. If you believe so much in the project McFry then you see it through, it is not the moral obligation of other people to bypass their principles just so you can get a computer game.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:17:44 pm by Aptus »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24901 on: June 24, 2013, 12:27:49 pm »

If anything, it's the creator's obligation to make an effort not to piss off his funding base.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24902 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:38 pm »

They have a right to say that and boycott what they want, too.
I know, but my point is that he won't change just because people tell him to, just as we don't change because he tells us to. That boycott just hurt everyone.
It does? It's not like this guy is going to cure cancer if only we can get over his beliefs. He's making a game.
Saying a boycott based on the bigotry of the creator of a GAME is going to "hurt everyone" is just ridiculous.
Lemme just clarify the intended meaning of my words: That boycott did not benefit anyone involved.

If you believe so much in the project McFry then you see it through, it is not the moral obligation of other people to bypass their principles just so you can get a computer game.
I have absolutely no interest in that game, I'm just disappointed in people's dogmatic principles ruining other people's enjoyment, and in people not thinking this stuff through. I dislike bigots just as much as you, but I don't go around wrecking stuff just to show my dislike for them.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24903 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:29 pm »

Lemme just clarify the intended meaning of my words: That boycott did not benefit anyone involved.

Boycotts are not meant to benifit, they are meant to make a point. As in, we will not buy your product if you are an asshat.

I have absolutely no interest in that game, I'm just disappointed in people's dogmatic principles ruining other people's enjoyment, and in people not thinking this stuff through. I dislike bigots just as much as you, but I don't go around wrecking stuff just to show my dislike for them.

How is not giving money to a crowdsourcing project ruining other peoples enjoyment? It makes no sense what so ever. And yeah, not giving monetary support to an corporation/person you do not agree with is apparently shortsighted... I... I just don't get you.

If someone has no problem with the project, then they can donate to their hearts content, but no, it is not shortsighted or mean to choose not to donate because of who is doing the project.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:53:38 pm by Aptus »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24904 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how did the developer's views come to light in order to inspire the boycott? Are we talking something dug out of a personal facebook page that wasn't linked to the product, or was more like something mentioned on the website or in an interview?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #24905 on: June 24, 2013, 02:00:31 pm »

I had a response that got ate...

Yes. this boycott helps those involved. It raises awareness of the issue. At can get people to think about the issue if they are on the fence, they may become more open-minded, or they may at least be less likely to openly denigrate and oppress. This improves the average life experience of the oppressed over time.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24906 on: June 24, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »

I had a response that got ate...

There has been a lot of 504s today I noticed.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24907 on: June 24, 2013, 02:09:38 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how did the developer's views come to light in order to inspire the boycott? Are we talking something dug out of a personal facebook page that wasn't linked to the product, or was more like something mentioned on the website or in an interview?

There's a few things, including his own comments on his comic and an article he wrote for some conservative news site a few years ago.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24908 on: June 24, 2013, 02:16:32 pm »

There's a few things, including his own comments on his comic and an article he wrote for some conservative news site a few years ago.
Eh, I'd let the article slide, assuming it was something he did in his free time or something, but the comic comments not so much. When you tie the opinion to your business, then your business is liable for it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24909 on: June 24, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »

I'd be inclined to say the opposite, actually. I dislike combing through hundreds of comments to find something crappy a guy said (though Ratfist got pretty damn political around the point I stopped reading it so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a ton of relevant comments), but when he publishes something professionally then he should expect to face any consequences it might have.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24910 on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:27 pm »

I'd be inclined to say the opposite, actually. I dislike combing through hundreds of comments to find something crappy a guy said (though Ratfist got pretty damn political around the point I stopped reading it so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a ton of relevant comments), but when he publishes something professionally then he should expect to face any consequences it might have.

This actually links in very well to what we're talking about over here. It explains why Gabe made an apology the way he did, because he didn't want to lose business. Ratfist tried to link his views and his business and paid the price.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24911 on: June 24, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »

I also think there's a difference between "This guy just said something bad on Twitter, I'm mad at him" and "This guy is making a game, hey I found a comment on his site that was bad from like a year ago, I'm mad at him."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24912 on: June 24, 2013, 02:34:16 pm »

The Penny Arcade dudes are pretty notorious for saying whatever the hell they want. I'm willing to believe Mr. Krahulik is genuinely apologizing.

As for watching what you say and business... You can step on racist's toes even if you're a huge family friendly company. They couldn't always do that. The world's pretty crappy but it's getting better.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24913 on: June 24, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »

Boycotts are not meant to benifit, they are meant to make a point. As in, we will not buy your product if you are an asshat.
But now the developer is very likely more of an asshat than before. Am I missing something here?

How is not giving money to a crowdsourcing project ruining other peoples enjoyment? It makes no sense what so ever. And yeah, not giving monetary support to an corporation/person you do not agree with is apparently shortsighted... I... I just don't get you.
Let's assume for a moment that the developer wasn't a bigot. People would not stop donating, the project would get funded, a game would happen, and everyone involved would be happy.
Now let's assume that the developer was a bigot, but nobody made a fuss about it. Same as above, everyone involved is happy.
Compare this to the situation we have now: No game, sad donators, and an angry bigot. Great job, Internet. Do you see my point now?

If someone has no problem with the project, then they can donate to their hearts content, but no, it is not shortsighted or mean to choose not to donate because of who is doing the project.
It is shortsighted if a donation, which could decide over the enjoyment of $900k worth of people, is withheld solely because of an entirely unrelated factor, which isn't even made better after withholding. And it's mean because the bigot is people too.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24914 on: June 24, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »

But now the developer is very likely more of an asshat than before. Am I missing something here?

Uhm, since when has the onus been on anyone but the individual to not be an asshat? If that's his reaction to all this, to dial up the asshatery, it's even more proof that he's a tool bag who doesn't deserve the money of anyone except those that agree with them.

It is shortsighted if a donation, which could decide over the enjoyment of $900k worth of people, is withheld solely because of an entirely unrelated factor, which isn't even made better after withholding. And it's mean because the bigot is people too.

This sounds like a selfish justification. And I mean seriously, wtf, talking about this guy's politics MIGHT lead a potential backer to not donate?

I wonder how you'd react to a Kickstarter project where the creator had been a mass murderer, a rapist, leader of a hate organization, or what have you. Jolly ok as long as they're making something someone else will enjoy, and how dare you try to bring their politics into it?

Point in fact: no one gets to be on the Internet today without their past being a factor of the present. Period. If someone drug up the dumbshit I said a decade ago, guess what, I have to live with it, because it's what I said. There is no expiration date on fact.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:48:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1659 1660 [1661] 1662 1663 ... 3345