Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3689954 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Go To Bed Edition
« Reply #24810 on: June 20, 2013, 08:10:35 pm »

What the hell Greece?

Yeah every single time I hear news on Greece it is bad news.

They are starting to sound like one of those crazy countries now.
Gonna invoke Godwin's law (second time on this page) but they're beginning to sound like Nazi Germany...
Considering that actual fascist groups are mentioned a few times in that article, I believe this time it might be justified.

ETA: I mean the Godwin, not whatever is going on in Greece.
Yeah but i don't get how they could end up like this. They seem to have completely forgotten what fascist governments did to them in ww2.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24811 on: June 20, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »

Yeah but i don't get how they could end up like this. They seem to have completely forgotten what fascist governments did to them in ww2.
In short: Greece was a military dictatorship till the mid-70s, there still is a lot of left-right polarization from that time. The government and other institutions are systematically corrupt. The economy is FUBAR and there is a massive unemployment problem (similar to what led to the rise of fascism elsewhere earlier). The country is overrun by refugees and illegal immigrants (up to 25% of Athen's population) which has given rise to right-wing xenophobic movements.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24812 on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:02 pm »

Well if the gay and trans* people are legal citizens then there shouldn't be a problem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24813 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:58 pm »

Don't forget that the vast majority of Greece's businesses break the law to the extent where it is common practice.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24814 on: June 20, 2013, 09:08:29 pm »

We just decided to nuke the computer from orbit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24815 on: June 20, 2013, 09:16:41 pm »

Well if the gay and trans* people are legal citizens then there shouldn't be a problem.
Well, it's not like militant right-wing groups have ever been known to hate foreigners exclusively. Parts of the population are pretty conservative and the church still has a lot of influence (though most younger greek people I have met are pretty far-left). The government is - besides corruption - also known for incompetence. I guess if you take all of that into account...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24816 on: June 20, 2013, 09:19:59 pm »

Well, it's not like militant right-wing groups have ever been known to hate foreigners exclusively. Parts of the population are pretty conservative and the church still has a lot of influence (though most younger greek people I have met are pretty far-left). The government is - besides corruption - also known for incompetence. I guess if you take all of that into account...
Considering that the Orthodox Church is the official state religion of Greece and attempts to convert people to other religions is illegal, yeah, I'd say they have some influence. Such things are even more dangerous with the presence of groups like the Golden Dawn, as they'd almost certainly work together in the event of a takeover. With any luck the Golden Dawn loses traction or is overwhelmed by over factions, because they are easily the most dangerous one present.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24817 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:16 pm »

On the other hand, a resurgent Greek/Byzantine Empire would be pretty interesting.

Horrific, but... Interesting.

* Descan takes pictures.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24818 on: June 20, 2013, 11:00:40 pm »

Taxi Drivers >_>

From a post from a friend on FB, she was asked by one of them if she knew any student who would [ACCEPT_PAYMENT] as long as they could [PROVIDE_JOY] for a certain sum, to them. The meaning is obvious. The response if horrendous.

And here I was thinking that those types of people don't exist in or near my community..ugh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24819 on: June 20, 2013, 11:02:14 pm »

Mom says I look like a lesbian and she's been holding her tongue for months.

Gee Mom.  Sorry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24820 on: June 20, 2013, 11:08:32 pm »

Mom says I look like a lesbian and she's been holding her tongue for months.

Gee Mom.  Sorry.
Don't wanna tip my hand too much here, but that should go in the "Amazingly Stupid Things" thread.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24821 on: June 20, 2013, 11:11:55 pm »

Don't wanna tip my hand too much here

I'll post there if you explain why the above idiom is situationally appropriate :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24822 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »

Don't wanna tip my hand too much here

I'll post there if you explain why the above idiom is situationally appropriate :I
Contrasting humor. "I don't want to tell you what I'm thinking, but here's exactly what I'm thinking."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24823 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:53 pm »

Ah, that probably explains a lot of my confusion.  That one, in particular, drives me up the nuts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24824 on: June 20, 2013, 11:20:13 pm »

Wait... crap. Is that supposed to be a bad thing? I guess it's more the "been holding tongue" part...?

Most of the lesbians I've met have been pretty attractive, honestly. Least not below the standardized curve of human appearance re: personal aesthetic preference. I've never quite grokked how that particular line of criticism is supposed to work, I guess. S'more a "you're aligned with something I disprove of" than "X actually exhibits negative traits salient to the attributes being addressed", perhaps? Tends to leave me going, "Wait, shit. Am I supposed to punch you or thank you for that?"

Maybe I just need some sleep, dunno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1653 1654 [1655] 1656 1657 ... 3345