Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1644 1645 [1646] 1647 1648 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3692978 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Um, I'm not sure it's possible to not be offensive AND have stereotypical characters. The latter kinda always causes the former.

I suppose we could argue about the magnitude of its offensiveness, but that's splitting hairs and is setting us up for another of this forum's incredibly nitpicky and heated debates.

I wasn't saying that they weren't offensive. I was saying that offending people was not their main intention.

Their goal is not "Let's piss off nerds by stereotyping them." Their goal is "Let's make funny nerd stereotype characters."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it is a third option

"Let's make funny by stereotyping nerds"

Anyhow having steriotypes isn't offensive in and of itself. The thing about Big Bang Theory is that every single nerd is a stereotype and the show even states many times that "this is how things are, this is the norm"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

How is that any different than my second option?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How is that any different than my second option?

Because one is just using stereotyped characters.

While the other is painting nerds a certain color.

Though lets just face it... Big Bang Theory if it was a genre it would be "Nerdsploitation"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

You're comparing it to black people again.

I really don't think they're trying to actively paint nerds in a certain color any more than anyone who uses stereotypes already does. This agenda you're assigning them seems a little paranoid.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Windows Live is really annoying. YOUR PASSWORD HAS TO INCLUDE A MIX OF CAPITALS, SYMBOLS, SUMERIAN FONTS, TYPES OF DUCK, PEOPLE MADE FAMOUS VIA WARS, AND UNKNOWN TYPES OF MINERAL. LET US UPDATE OUR INTERFACE (IF YOU WANT TO HOLD OFF WITH THAT, THEN GUESS WHAT, YOU CAN'T) THEN CRASH. YOU HAVE TO LOG IN TO SAVE, BUT WE'LL LET YOU PLAY THE GAME IF YOU LIKE. WE HAVE ALL THE DISADVANTAGES OF STEAM, AND MORE, WITH NONE OF THE UPSIDES.

Agggh, I just wanna play GTA IV. Is that so much to ask?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

HAHAHA, you cannot accidentally run over pedestrians, crash cars, and get married to the only daughter of a family of Irish mobsters unless you successfuly bypass all three levels of DRM, Fniff!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

HAHAHA, you cannot accidentally run over pedestrians, crash cars, and get married to the only daughter of a family of Irish mobsters unless you successfuly bypass all three levels of DRM, Fniff!
Accidentally?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Windows Live is really annoying. YOUR PASSWORD HAS TO INCLUDE A MIX OF CAPITALS, SYMBOLS, SUMERIAN FONTS, TYPES OF DUCK, PEOPLE MADE FAMOUS VIA WARS, AND UNKNOWN TYPES OF MINERAL. LET US UPDATE OUR INTERFACE (IF YOU WANT TO HOLD OFF WITH THAT, THEN GUESS WHAT, YOU CAN'T) THEN CRASH. YOU HAVE TO LOG IN TO SAVE, BUT WE'LL LET YOU PLAY THE GAME IF YOU LIKE. WE HAVE ALL THE DISADVANTAGES OF STEAM, AND MORE, WITH NONE OF THE UPSIDES.

Agggh, I just wanna play GTA IV. Is that so much to ask?
Well, if you have that version already, just patch it with one thats less broken. All of the advantages of buying it without any of the downsides of windows live.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

Is it me or is electronic security simultaneously becoming increasingly overbearing and completely useless?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I really wasn't this time... In fact the thought never crossed my mind.

The pattern of painting anyone in broad colors to gain a laugh is quite wide.

I really don't think they're trying to actively paint nerds in a certain color any more than anyone who uses stereotypes already does. This agenda you're assigning them seems a little paranoid

Who said anything about them having an agenda?

The issue is that you are meant to go "Ha ha ha! Nerds are such daffy clowns who have no self-respect".

I doubt they are actually going "Ha ha ha! Now with our new show Big Bang Theory we will spread hatred and misunderstanding through the streets of this fair country. DOWN WITH THE NERDS!"

But at the same time since you brought up "black people". Should I actually bring up many of the clips of things that made fun of them? I mean none of them were created with an agenda, so they should be harmless right?

It isn't the same degree and I am certainly not saying that Big Bang Theory is EVIL! I am only saying that there is merit to the idea that it is a show that discriminates against... well... Nerds.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:49:55 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Actually I really wasn't this time... In fact the thought never crossed my mind.

I assumed nerdsploitation was a play on blaxsploitation. Be more careful with your -sploitation nouns, cause there are some loaded ones.

I really don't think they're trying to actively paint nerds in a certain color any more than anyone who uses stereotypes already does. This agenda you're assigning them seems a little paranoid

Who said anything about them having an agenda?

The issue is that you are meant to go "Ha ha ha! Nerds are such daffy clowns who have no self-respect".

I doubt they are actually going "Ha ha ha! Now with our new show Big Bang Theory we will spread hatred and misunderstanding through the streets of this fair country. DOWN WITH THE NERDS!"

Well if that's how you define it, I'm still having trouble seeing how "Let's make funny by stereotyping nerds" is different than "Let's make funny nerd stereotype characters".

But at the same time since you brought up "black people". Should I actually bring up many of the clips of things that made fun of them? I mean none of them were created with an agenda, so they should be harmless right?

Once again, I didn't say the stereotypes were harmless. I just thought the phrasing of this quote:
In response to the TBBT hate: modern network television makes humor through offensiveness. If you're offended; congratulations, you're telling the producers that they're doing it right.
meant that their goal was to offend nerds with the stereotypes. Rather, I think they just make humor through stereotypes that happened to be offensive to nerds. Mego seemed to imply an agenda of sorts beyond just offensive humor.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

I didn't mean to imply a further agenda; I've said multiple times that modern network television tries to make comedy by using offensive jokes/subjects.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it me or is electronic security simultaneously becoming increasingly overbearing and completely useless?
Pretty much.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

Pretty much.
Just today I had to deal with a DVD that wouldn't let me return to it's main menu, saying such an action was forbidden. That is both infuriating and pointless.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 1644 1645 [1646] 1647 1648 ... 3345