Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1643 1644 [1645] 1646 1647 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3693474 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

The pathfinder had a separate map of data that stored things like movement cost, position, and accessibility. For some reason I didn't initialize the world in the constructor, instead delegating it to a regen() function. But because the pathfinding map wasn't updated in said function it had faulty info. O_o
Next up is letting item data be read from json files and spawning items in shops.
You people are fucking wizards, I swear.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

The pathfinder had a separate map of data that stored things like movement cost, position, and accessibility. For some reason I didn't initialize the world in the constructor, instead delegating it to a regen() function. But because the pathfinding map wasn't updated in said function it had faulty info. O_o
Next up is letting item data be read from json files and spawning items in shops.

Yea, the wizards often offer outlandish favours in return for our efforts...
This is a blank sig.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Yea, the wizards often offer outlandish favours in return for our efforts...
Ba-dum-tish.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

In response to the TBBT hate: modern network television makes humor through offensiveness. If you're offended; congratulations, you're telling the producers that they're doing it right.

Also, I have a friend who hates TBBT because he's offended by their "inaccurate portrayal of nerds, especially with Sheldon." The irony is, he basically IS Sheldon. We've found that he gets offended by anything that reminds him of him. He also complains about everything, which is infuriating. Kind of like Sheldon.

My take on TBBT is that it's just another rubbish network show that reinforces my choice to watch BBC dramas and comedies. And sure, The IT Crowd has Moss and Roy in a pseudo-homosexual relationship (Moss and the German comes to mind), but that's hardly the focus of the show.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I stopped watching almost all TV about five years ago. Uninteresting compared to the internet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I know people who actually like TBBT. It is not actively trying to be offensive. It's just another show with some stereotypical characters doing goofy crap. Anyone calling it "nerd blackface" or whatever is being hyperbolic.

I stopped watching almost all TV about five years ago. Uninteresting compared to the internet.

I did that for a while, then I found a bunch of TV shows I liked through the internet, and now I'm back to watching TV again. It's just all on my computer now.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

It is not actively trying to be offensive. It's just another show with some stereotypical characters doing goofy crap.
Um, I'm not sure it's possible to not be offensive AND have stereotypical characters. The latter kinda always causes the former.

I suppose we could argue about the magnitude of its offensiveness, but that's splitting hairs and is setting us up for another of this forum's incredibly nitpicky and heated debates.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds painful.
Autism is horrifically misrepresented. I'm not sure why you would drag yourself through that.

Because it's the only way to engage with characters who have experiences and desires I can relate to right now.  I've spent my whole life being lonely, and it's coming to a boiling point.

Eh, even when it is being taken seriously it just doesn't work. LOOKING AT YOU MARK HADDON! THERE IS NO REDEMPTION FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE! *Ahem* Anyway maybe a realistic portrayal isn't really that interesting? You have to exaggerate things to the point of absurdity a la Sherlock for things to be entertaining.

Elementary is pretty interesting.  And also realistic.

Also, yes, Mark Haddon infuriates me.  They made a play and now they're shooting a movie.

In response to the TBBT hate: modern network television makes humor through offensiveness. If you're offended; congratulations, you're telling the producers that they're doing it right.

I'm sorry, I thought I was talking to my friends.  Not to the producers.  Unless you're a producer of one of those shows I mentioned, in which case I'll remind you that next season isn't going to write itself.

Also, I have a friend who hates TBBT because he's offended by their "inaccurate portrayal of nerds, especially with Sheldon." The irony is, he basically IS Sheldon. We've found that he gets offended by anything that reminds him of him. He also complains about everything, which is infuriating. Kind of like Sheldon.

Other than not actually talking about it when people annoy me, I basically am Sheldon.  Because he has very little personality outside of being obnoxiously arrogant/self-serving and Asperger's-ish, and taking one thing away leaves you with... the other.

So?  I'm not offended by everything that reminds me of me.  I'm frustrated because I want more people who remind me of me, and I want them to have storylines that count.  Even when they're embarrassing and hard to watch.  That's the way it is sometimes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I, too, have spent my life being lonely...

But today I am mad at my dog, and my mother. My dog because she murdered the chickens, or at least 5 of the 6, and my mother because she left the dogs unattended, and out and about with the birds when we've known she has a tendency to get crazy when she's bored and alone and likes to tear up shoes or whatever she finds. The poodle and the dane both insist they had nothing to do with the killings, mostly by being super-apologetic. Neither of them have ever chased the chickens before, though. Actually the last generation of hens chased THEM.
So then I had to go dispose of the dead chickens in the desert. Best now as coyote feed and sagebrush fertilizer.
She didn't eat them, just beat them to death like they were big screaming squeaker toys and put the bodies in a neat little pile (like she does with everything she gets a hold of). No idea what happened to the sixth; she probably escaped and hid somewhere since we didn't find the body or any remains of it, but she could easily have been injured beforehand and it's dubious whether we'll ever find her again. I'm more concerned now about leaving that puppy anywhere near the cats, but she has yet to treat them as toys. She's in soooo much trouble right now though...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

What's the breed of the dog that isn't the dane or the poodle? I know poodles can be vicious sometimes (My family had to get rid of theirs when I was born because she became very jealous), but great danes are usually gentle.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

She's an Aussie Sheppard. A puppy, still, although she's certainly adult sized.

Yeah, I've had plenty of rage at that damn poodle, such as for killing some newborn kittens and generally being a disagreeable little bitch, but she learned quite a while ago not to assault anything bigger than herself.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

She's an Aussie Sheppard. A puppy, still, although she's certainly adult sized.
Oh. Yeah, watch her. She's got herding in her, she's got a brain and ample amounts of curiousity/drive to interact. If she's displaying aggression like this at this stage, you're going to want to actually train her, because she's going to train herself otherwise, and she's not going to train herself toward good social order with smaller animals. :[
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vector, in no way was I claiming modern network television to be good. I was just stating a fact: it's designed to be offensive. To them, offensiveness is "entertainment". I am agreeing with you, the show is horrid and attempts humor using socially-inept, bland characters as the butts of the jokes.

Also, your producer comment made me think of The Producers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, okay.  I'm sorry... I misread your tone.

(ironically enough)

Anyway, I'm getting the first season of Bones out of the library and we'll see how I feel about the eponymous character.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bones is one of the few shows I actually enjoy. Good luck! Hope you like it.
Pages: 1 ... 1643 1644 [1645] 1646 1647 ... 3345