Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1630 1631 [1632] 1633 1634 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696564 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Why am I angry this morning? I'm angry because my muffin can't fit its huge fucking ass in the toaster. GET IN THERE AND TOAST, DAMNIT!
Careful, you'll make that muffin feel bad about itself.

Bay12: Where we rage about the meta-rage about rage.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I'm about to meta-rage if all this damn Bay12 forum lag doesn't stop. It's been bad lately.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I'm about to meta-rage if all this damn Bay12 forum lag doesn't stop. It's been bad lately.
METAAAAAAARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

-AAAAGE!
 :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile

Bay12: Unified in hostility.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Bay12: Unified in hostility.
We shall raise up our voices as one, and our cry shall be this!

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Hmm, I actually don't recall any minorities in 1984. Odd, why would Orwell exclude a favorite tactic of Dictators?
The people who worked for the party were a minority. Most of the people lived in that ghetto place that got rocketbombed all the time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

If we instead stick to our generic OTANJSM insults, we can eventually phase out the others, through a sort of herd-immunity-crossed-with-Newspeak thing, because hooray 1984, I guess.
Honestly, if our insulting vocabulary was more comfortably seeded with generic orangutan jism insults, I think the world would be a better place. I'm not sure what Orwell had to do with that sort of thing, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Hmm, I actually don't recall any minorities in 1984. Odd, why would Orwell exclude a favorite tactic of Dictators?
The people who worked for the party were a minority. Most of the people lived in that ghetto place that got rocketbombed all the time.
I mean as in racial minorities.

Although, I guess the people from the different Powers counted.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I mean as in racial minorities.

Although, I guess the people from the different Powers counted.

If the different powers existed. I think the suppression went a few levels above racial lines. From what I remember there was three main sections of the society. The party, the middle and the lower masses. The party was more focused on keeping the middle in line and disillusioned enough to not cause significant trouble while the lower masses were kept happy with cheap drink and other simple pleasures. I guess there was no mention of racial minorities because all that mattered was whether you were part of the party or not.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

I mean East Asia and Eurasia. They are all brown/yellow/black/European/whatevers. And yet that in and of itself figures little, even in the Propaganda. Racism is a common tool of RL Dictators, is what I mean.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I mean East Asia and Eurasia. They are all brown/yellow/black/European/whatevers. And yet that in and of itself figures little, even in the Propaganda. Racism is a common tool of RL Dictators, is what I mean.
Could be that he was choosing to abstract it to show that racism need not be a component of totalitarianism. After all, a British audience of the time period would have said, "Oh see now, we're not racists like that bloke Hitler, so he's obviously not referring to us. We treat our pakis, golliwogs and micks far better than that."  ::)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

My raeg: a couple at this auction, who haven't bought shit in 5 hours, who have planted their fat asses on the back of the truck, making us ask them to move about once every 10 minutes.

This truck isn't your personal lawn chair, you mother fuckers. You're in the way of an 80 and 90 year old couple that need to climb in and out of this thing. And the worst part is, they're not listening when we ask them to move.

Get your fat, lazy asses off the truck, you've been sitting there for3 goddamn hours.

Note, there are at least 30 people at this auction who have been standing, in the hot sun, the entire time. If you aren't bidding, go in the fucking waiting area like everyone else who isn't interested in the next 500 lots.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:40:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Positive Answer: Dystopian fiction is usually very focused on specific issues - a dystopian government will not just have a bunch of evil aspects, but instead will have one aspect exaggerated. They are not intended to be realistic tyrannical governments but instead a representation of something more narrow. In 1984, this aspect is the control of thought. Most other aspects of the government are minimized in comparison.

Negative Answer: Dystopian fiction is, historically, very focused on white men - the problems that dystopias are the "grandest" ones. Freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of posession. Declaration of Independence sort of stuff. Things that only oppressed groups face - racism and racial profiling, freedom of reproduction, etc - are usually minimized and given a minor role if any.

This is not a specific problem with dystopian fiction, but just fiction in general. Fiction that questions what it means to be human has historically just questioned what it means to be a white guy. Fiction that focuses on other groups has been dismissed as only having a minority appeal, as if those groups do not have anything to contribute to humanity as a whole.

/englishmajor

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I spent all day trying to clean years-old oven grease off of various stovetop implements by hand. It was hard, difficult work. I've got dozens of micro-lacerations on my thumb from the steel wool(which did pretty much nothing to the grease), and my fingernails, which I do put some effort into maintaining, are chipped and dirty.
And that asshole is still bothering. What the fuck is wrong with this guy? 38 years old, and he's got the mentality of a 10-year old bully. Is it going to take slamming his head into the pavement for him to get the hint?

And my sister is blasting country music in my room.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

38 years old, and he's got the mentality of a 10-year old bully.
Bullies don't go away after school ends. They never do.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 1630 1631 [1632] 1633 1634 ... 3345