Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1629 1630 [1631] 1632 1633 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696486 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I'm on Willfor's side here.

Don't sink down to other people's levels, people.

Because it's unrealistic. I'm already a decent, probably below decent person. Pretty much everyone is (Including yourself probably), there's no need to go on some kind of crusade to make people more sensitive to other people's feelings. Humans aren't insecure and jerks because corporations are preying on their feelings, we're just naturally like that. So either people can continue getting horribly offended when someone insults them for the rest of their life, or they can adapt a more realistic view and just not give a shit.
So many problems here.

1) "Everyone else is doing it" is never an excuse.
2) Don't assume everyone is like you. This goes for pretty much everything and everyone, not just the current topic and you.
3) The jerk who's unhappy he's a jerk is a million times better a human being than the jerk who doesn't care he is.

Go on about the futility if compassion and empathy if you like, but uh... it's kinda futile.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

May I remind you what is going on here? This person is exceptionally petty and unsympathetic. Vector has every right to retaliation, and her ex-roommate deserves to be called out on her bullshit. She might even end up learning her lesson.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile

Unrelated to current discussion: Reading the first few posts here, all about how this won't work because people get pissy. Well look how far it's gone.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

There is always something even more outrageous to distract us from the petty squabbles.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Bay12's solution to keep from getting needlessly angry: get angry!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

Unrelated to current discussion: Reading the first few posts here, all about how this won't work because people get pissy. Well look how far it's gone.
I'm going to chalk this up to nenjin for this. There have been a number of times where good moderation of the topic have been necessary, and he's managed not to lose Toady's confidence in the midst of any of them.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I DON'T WANT THESE DAMN LEMONS

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

May I remind you what is going on here? This person is exceptionally petty and unsympathetic. Vector has every right to retaliation, and her ex-roommate deserves to be called out on her bullshit. She might even end up learning her lesson.

I already did call her out, and managed to do it without slinging any poo.  The note was the perfect combination of passive-aggressive, sarcastic, genuinely polite, and supercilious.

I am the master of jackassery.  It is me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Hooray for using generic, offensive-to-anybody-not-just-specific-minorities insults!

I'm not convinced that attacking some aspect of a person is going to change anyone's mind, because we've spent basically the entirety of time since language was invented trading 'fat shit' for 'needledick' without anybody suddenly becoming not-a-jerkface. If we instead stick to our generic OTANJSM insults, we can eventually phase out the others, through a sort of herd-immunity-crossed-with-Newspeak thing, because hooray 1984, I guess.

but then, I'm not a sociologist, and maybe I just take a disproportionate amount of delight in describing people as meatbags and/or performance art.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a hint:

Maybe humor attacking minorities and disadvantaged groups is what's like 1984.  It's safe.  It's common.  It's not edgy at all.

One of the reasons why I keep my nastiness to something everyone can enjoy is, frankly, aesthetic.  I hate being bored.  Why would I stick to the status quo, hm?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Bay12 would make a great Grindcore band. Get pissed over pissed!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

25245 +1 posts, to be exact.

I have no qualms about locking the thread if people can't reign in their anger towards each other. It's worked pretty well so far.

PPS: Stay chill towards each other, people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Why am I angry this morning? I'm angry because my muffin can't fit its huge fucking ass in the toaster. GET IN THERE AND TOAST, DAMNIT!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Hmm, I actually don't recall any minorities in 1984. Odd, why would Orwell exclude a favorite tactic of Dictators?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why am I angry this morning? I'm angry because my muffin can't fit its huge fucking ass in the toaster. GET IN THERE AND TOAST, DAMNIT!

Step 1: Cut muffin into slices
Step 2: Toast the muffin slices
Step 3: Wonder why you wanted to toast a muffin in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 1629 1630 [1631] 1632 1633 ... 3345