Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1626 1627 [1628] 1629 1630 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3696972 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

What were you doing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Hard to believe how it used to be there, not even a lifetime ago.

The big problem is that I don't think anybody really knows how to bring back a society that's been that thoroughly broken.

Sorry, but, Afghanistan has been through way more shit in its history than the last 30 years. It may be a society with conflict ingrained in its psyche, but I think it will go on.
In it's whole history, sure, but that applies to everywhere. Starting to modernize only to be brought back down again has a significant effect.

It's the difference of a conservative society vs. a reactionary one. A conservative society is a perishable thing. Times can change to the point that it can no longer exist, and everyone who was part of it has to chose between change or denial. Afghanistan has fallen into the latter, and not lightly either. Unfortunately for everybody involved, denial takes the form of a religious extremism that even the ancestors of the current fighters would see as insane.

Afghanistan today is a lot like what the US would have been like if the KKK had started an armed rebellion against the federal government during Reconstruction, taken it over for forty years, and been forcefully removed by the Wiemar Republic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I think Afghanistan has seen more than other countries though. Since at least the 1800s, they have been in a constant state of war. Prior to that Afghanistan has also been an invasion route for some of the largest armies of antiquity.

So basically, it's a culture in which war is a fact of life and has been for almost 200 years, at least.

So basically what i'm saying is, I don't think of Afghani society as "most broken", because I think seeing it that way is a conceit of the now. The Taliban are no different than any other invader, except that they've stayed the longest. Their views are still foreign to Afghanistan. And if there's one enduring Afghani cultural trait, it's probably resilience in the face of adversity and set back.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

What were you doing?
A wrestling tournament.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stupid brother, he never knows what our argument is about.

He always thinks it is about how I am trying to assert that I am right and he is wrong but it is not about that.

No matter how many times I tell him that it has nothing to do with the argument itself but rather how he conducted it (basically by insulting and ridiculing me) he keeps thinking I am trying to dance around him to make my point.

Not that it really matters anyway, my brother wouldn't apologize for anything he does and that is what it really frustrating to me.

I don't hold grudges, I will apologize if something is my fault, and for the most part I try hard not to attack people personally... Yet these traits don't feel like virtues when everyone around me holds things over my head for years, will never EVER apologize for even the most terrible things they do, and either threaten me or attack me personally in argument.

I mean sure everyone says those are good things... but it sure feels crummy when people know they can treat you badly because you just don't get mad about things. It sure feels bad to be mocked endlessly and never fighting back. It certainly feels crummy to always be the person at fault because you are the only one who can admit fault.

Ohh well... I am sad now.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Hard to believe how it used to be there, not even a lifetime ago.

The big problem is that I don't think anybody really knows how to bring back a society that's been that thoroughly broken.

Sorry, but, Afghanistan has been through way more shit in its history than the last 30 years. It may be a society with conflict ingrained in its psyche, but I think it will go on.
In it's whole history, sure, but that applies to everywhere. Starting to modernize only to be brought back down again has a significant effect.

It's the difference of a conservative society vs. a reactionary one. A conservative society is a perishable thing. Times can change to the point that it can no longer exist, and everyone who was part of it has to chose between change or denial. Afghanistan has fallen into the latter, and not lightly either. Unfortunately for everybody involved, denial takes the form of a religious extremism that even the ancestors of the current fighters would see as insane.

Afghanistan today is a lot like what the US would have been like if the KKK had started an armed rebellion against the federal government during Reconstruction, taken it over for forty years, and been forcefully removed by the Wiemar Republic.
Did you just, compare the US now, to the Weimer Republic?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its Weimar, dudes. And I don't get the comparison either. Is the US on the verge of being taken over by fascists?  ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Did you just, compare the US now, to the Weimer Republic?
Not so much. The major invader of Afghanistan was the USSR, and the arch-enemy of the USSR was the USA. In my idea, the major invader of the USA is the UK, and the arch-enemy of the UK was Germany. But just saying Germany with the invoked timeframe would make everyone assume I was speaking of Nazi Germany and thus comparing the modern US to Nazis, which is not the case. Thus, Weimar Republic.
Its Weimar, dudes.
Lodge all complaints with Autocorrect.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I maybe might understand what you're trying to say, but your analogies are... far out. ;) The Weimar Republic was NOT an enemy of the UK...and yeah this analogy just is no good.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:34:25 pm by XXSockXX »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

my phpbb3 forum has become the victim of cross site scripting... And I don't know how to close that hole.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

What were you doing?
A wrestling tournament.

How big is that tournament?  Holy hell.  I've never been to one that took multiple days, and only wrestled a handful of matches, even when I was there an entire day.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My RICH FUCKING ROOMMATE wants me to pay for having washed her dry-clean only designer short shorts when they fell into my drawer and I accidentally took them home.  Just... ugh.  Fuck her.  All my clothing is used and cheap.  I'm not going to fucking pay for her fucking designer shorts.  She has money to fuck around going on random trips to Vegas without her parents knowing about it and didn't know how to do the wash when she got here and just... fuck.

And not only that, it isn't my fault and she already swanned around like a queen refusing to see me to pick them up because I was 20 minutes late.  No pleases, no thank yous, just "okay, leave them over there."

I just finished running around all day for 13 hours putting up tutoring flyers and other stupid shit so I can fucking pay for fucking grad school and if they cost $200 then that's like 9 hours of fucking psychological testing down the drain, i.e. all of it including the electric shocks part and I'm really upset because she wrote me this note in legalese.

Man, none of this is coherent.  In case this post is subpoena'd: I don't take responsibility because it wasn't my fault.  I am upset only because my roommate has been treating me crappy over a pair of pants and because I am scared of her siccing evil Attack Lawyers on Retainer who will bend both law and reason in favor of extracting what little amount of money I've been able to earn so far in my adult life.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vector, just tell her know. She can live with it. Don't even get upset, just laugh at her, because it's a fucking joke.

You don't owe her shit. Even if she takes you to small claims court, the judge would laugh her out. And really, does she seem like the type who'd be willing to sit through a court date?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wrote her a somewhat nasty letter.

This is the rage that could not be expressed in my mildly nasty letter.  And I really hope the judge would laugh her out.  Really do.  Might well sit through a court date in order to get her way ._.

Isn't it normal to make the opposition pay for your lawyers, too?  I keep hearing about that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, no, in small claims court that won't fly. You need a larger dollar amount than however much those shorts cost to manage that.
Pages: 1 ... 1626 1627 [1628] 1629 1630 ... 3345