Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1597 1598 [1599] 1600 1601 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701905 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Australia, at least in Victoria where I am, doesn't have issues with multiculturalism being divisive (except in low socioeconomic areas.) I grew up in a town that was if I recall correctly, 55% first generation migrants. Never a problem. I never had a problem with bullying there. Never.

Then, I moved to a town that was largely homogenous. There, the insults and abuse for being a redhead and hence looking different began to flow.

While Australia I would not say is inherently racist, there is a frighteningly large amount of the population that is.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

You lot should make a thread for this.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

You dislike division, yes? Multiculturalism is inherently divisive. That is a property of multiculturalism. It cannot be changed, for it is fact.

Simply stating somehting as a fact does not make it so. What is it that makes it devisive (?) - please show me an example so I can understand better.

Xenophobia is a natural reaction. However far people go to supress it, some are less successful than others. The more prevalent a society with multiple cultures and races is, the more likely that xenophobia will exist. You can't prevent it.

People are scared of what they do not understand. People do not understand other cultures due to the imaginary lines we have drawn on maps. With familiarity people become less scared. You can prevent it with ease - simply do not divide people along artificial means. Doing so makes Xenophobia worse when people come into contact with people different form themselves.

Capitalists like to paint it as a great philanthropic exercise, this influx of immigrants into Britain and Western Europe. The reality is that they are brought there for the sole purpose of being used as cheap labour, with little care for the consequences. The fact is that not only are minorities inherentely disadvantaged in most societies (that is a property of being a minority), but that they whine when they rise up and keep bringing them in because they're treated like shit. They are brought there almost exclusively to be treated like shit in the first place!

Or, alternativley, migrants move to the richer countries to work hard and make something of themselves. Free enterprise of that nature allowed the USA to become the most powerful nation on Earth. The NHS employs a huge number of overseas doctors and nurses, as without them the number of competent staff the UK alone could provide would be unable to provide nationalized medical care of the standard it does. I see little wrong with someone wanting to better thier circumstances - someone moving from eastern europe to the UK in a legal manner (it would be a different story if said immigration was illegal) to earn more than they would doing the same job at home seems a hard thing to berate someone for.

This goes especially for Third World immigration, but others too - strong positive net immigration from those countries has created many problems for society and led to brain drains disastrous for the economies. Case study: the Philippines.

Brain drain is a bad thing, I 100% agree, as the best and brightest are the ones most likley to move to make thier lives better. However, don't discount that a lot of people either send money home to family to support them, or eventually move back home with thier relative wealth to make a difference in thier home community. Granted, this is not the majority of cases, but it does happen.

The fact is that the native population tends to resent immigrants and people of another culture or race (love it or hate it, race is strongly tied to culture), and many immigrants dislike where they live or would prefer to be in their homeland. This leads both parties into a common ruin.

Again, this is simply a product of those imaginary lines we ike to draw on the ground. More familiarity = less fear.

The problem with people like Solifuge is that they are not realistic

The reality of the world is that it is now a small place, with people, ideas and information free to move (for the most part) pretty much where they please. We need to be able to cope with this free movement, not restrict it. Bigotry is bred in homogenus groups, not diverse ones.
This is a blank sig.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

• Xenophobia is a natural reaction. However far people go to supress it, some are less successful than others. The more prevalent a society with multiple cultures and races is, the more likely that xenophobia will exist. You can't prevent it.
I find it hard to believe that xenophobia is a natural human reaction. My best friend since I was 5 is a black person, and I didn't think there was anything different about him until I learned about racism. I must have been 7 when I watched a cartoon in school about Martin Luther King Jr., and I remember thinking something along the lines of "wait, so there are people who think that people are worse than them because they have different skin?"
I have never been scared of someone or hated someone just because of their nationality or culture, so saying xenophobia is inherent in everyone is hard for me to believe.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I think we should take all the people who think it's okay to ship people out of a country due to their race and ship them all off to their own country.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile

I think we should take all the people who think it's okay to ship people out of a country due to their race and ship them all off to their own country.
where could we place this country? how bout Hawaii?
we take over hawaii in our pirate ships and then make it a country and fill it with bigots!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I suggest northern Siberia. They can see all the white they want 10 months a year.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

That has been tried and failed before.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I suggest northern Siberia. They can see all the white they want 10 months a year.
What about the racists of other skin colors?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Do not raeg at forum members. Do not post links to other Bay12 drama here. Do not post links to other forums with the intent of stirring up people to post there. None of that is the purpose of this thread. Raeg at "things" all you want, but not the people behind them.
Also to complete this with Godwin, a lot of you sound like Hitler right now. And that's to everyone, on both sides of this petty squabble.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Do not raeg at forum members. Do not post links to other Bay12 drama here. Do not post links to other forums with the intent of stirring up people to post there. None of that is the purpose of this thread. Raeg at "things" all you want, but not the people behind them.
Also to complete this with Godwin, a lot of you sound like Hitler right now. And that's to everyone, on both sides of this petty squabble.
Ethnic cleansing is not a petty squabble.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I'd ask that if people are going to get personal about this, off to its own thread please.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Yeah, what just happened anyway?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Ethnic cleansing is not a petty squabble.
Are you even looking at the things people have been writing?

You've both been suggesting the same thing, only differing on the targets you feel are acceptable.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile

Yeah, what just happened anyway?
some people where like
"shapow"
then others went
"No Shapow.. Blamow!"
then the shapowers whent
"Blamow!?!?!? SHAPOOWW!"
then the blamowers went