Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1596 1597 [1598] 1599 1600 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702249 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I'm not promoting an " Ethnically clean" England. I'm proposing a world with no " Minorities."
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not promoting an " Ethnically clean" England. I'm proposing a world with no " Minorities."
You misunderstood my meaning. They won't be minorities any more, because they will be majorities, or in fact, the only race present inside a country. Minority does not mean Non-White.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

So do you honestly believe that dividing up the world into a neatly color-coded mosaic is a thing that can actually be reasonably done?  Really?  Without ruining billions of lives?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So do you honestly believe that dividing up the world into a neatly color-coded mosaic is a thing that can actually be reasonably done?  Really?  Without ruining billions of lives?
Possibly. It could be done. And how would it ruin billions of lives?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Allow me to step in saying that it is possible, but not economically viable, hence it won't be done.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Because not all families/friendships/communities/businesses/religions/etc are strictly homogeneous.  In fact, the vast majority are not.

Not to mention, it would immensely piss off anyone who actually enjoys diversity, which is probably almost as many as the people that don't.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:21:39 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah screw it I'm getting out of this argument. There's no point and none of us will be convinced. Goodbye.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

It hasn't worked. These aren't teething problems, it just doesn't work.

Please, elaborate, with some examples to help me understand. As far as I can understand it, most of then hate acts are carried out by people who do not want multiculturalism and are fighting against it (e.g Anders Brevik), not simply people acting as humans. It seems odd to declare it a failure as the people who want it to fail are the ones trying so hard to make it fail.

Multiculturalism worked in Australia, until near now. Why?

I didnt realise that it wasnt working well in Australia (which in my experience is actually quite a racist country in places). Why do you say that it isnt?

Now, Muslims are campaigning for special Shaira law that only applies to them. That's not multiculturalism, that's bigotry.

My understanding of Sharia law in the UK is that it has no legal weight - whilst it is used by many Muslims to settle family, social and domestic disputes, it is not binding and still subservient to the law as laid down by courts. How is choosing to live your life accoding to the rules of your faith bigoted? Its not as if any Islamic individual in the UK is going to enforce this on me in any way, or even capable of doing so unless I choose to engage with it.

You misunderstood my meaning. They won't be minorities any more, because they will be majorities, or in fact, the only race present inside a country. Minority does not mean Non-White.

Again, I am going to call this idea a stupid and 100% unworkable one.

Splitting up families. Encouraging war, famine and amplifying inequality between people depending on who ends up where on the Earth, and why. Encouraging people to look on differences as negative, not positive traits that add to the rich mosaic of life. Destroying the personal and cultural identity of nearly everyone along artificial lines. Displaicing millions. Promoting xenophobia.

Ah screw it I'm getting out of this argument. There's no point and none of us will be convinced. Goodbye.

Damn, I took too long on this post.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do not misunderstand your meaning bucko. I get you loud and clear. There will ALWAYS be minorities. When you are done getting rid of those dirty brown people, then you have to kick out the gays, and the Catholics, and the Jews and the redheads, etc. We live in a global society. Even if you manage to get rid of all your minorities then those minorities will always be out there to threaten you with their differentness. To purify the global society of minorities requires extermination.

Do you know why I quote Nemesis in my sig? It is because I do not submit. I do not relent.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Multicultural society is very possible, Europe is just exceedingly bad at it and everybody takes their example because of how loudly it is imploding.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Multicultural society is very possible, Europe is just exceedingly bad at it and everybody takes their example because of how loudly it is imploding.

Yea, that would be our common heritage of basically killing each other lots coming back to bite us in the ass unfortunatley.
This is a blank sig.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Europe is actually very good at it. In less than a hundred years, Europe has gone from dozens of irreconcilable warring factions with millenia of bad blood to a relatively cooperative union. There are kinks for sure, but it is an amazing feat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Europe is actually very good at it. In less than a hundred years, Europe has gone from dozens of irreconcilable warring factions with millenia of bad blood to a relatively cooperative union. There are kinks for sure, but it is an amazing feat.
After all, we did get the Nobel Peace price for the sole achievement of not blowing each other up for 50 years.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think he's proposing Xenophobia.

And I'mma give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you're just a very committed troll. Because this is some ugly shit you're arguing in favor of.
Right. I'm a troll. Please, step outside of your narrow thought bubble. Bay12 certainly doesn't house opinions like mine too often, but you need to accept that and stop calling troll. Trolls don't usually hang out on a forum for a year.

Actually, I am sorry. I was being rude to you and to your opinion. I may disagree strongly with it... very very very strongly, but I will endeavor to respect it.

Seriously, though... I do not feel that separating ethno-cultural groups into different countries is the way forward for humanity. That just strengthens the dividing lines between us, and lets bad blood fester within one group, about the other groups in the world. However we choose to group them. Direct, daily exposure to one another, and to our different ways of life, are what helps us gain a realistic perspective on who other ethnic and cultural groups really are, and on the commonalities we share as human beings. It's how we find understanding and tolerance.

To deport a religious or ethnic group from a country, and bar them from entry- to elect to segregate ourselves along geographical boundaries- is a recipe for furthering the intolerance and divisiveness we've worked so long to combat, as a species.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:51:26 am by Solifuge »

Yannanth

I like how everyone ignored my comment and kept on bickering. I guess it doesn't fit your vision of a multicultural utopia, eh?

I can't imagine what anybody could have to say about your comment.  You basically said "I am against this, even though I have a specific life background that would normally lead you to believe I wouldn't be against it."  Ok.  You're against it.  Noted.  Do you have any actual arguments to put forth?
Sure.
  • You dislike division, yes? Multiculturalism is inherently divisive. That is a property of multiculturalism. It cannot be changed, for it is fact.
  • Xenophobia is a natural reaction. However far people go to supress it, some are less successful than others. The more prevalent a society with multiple cultures and races is, the more likely that xenophobia will exist. You can't prevent it.
  • Capitalists like to paint it as a great philanthropic exercise, this influx of immigrants into Britain and Western Europe. The reality is that they are brought there for the sole purpose of being used as cheap labour, with little care for the consequences. The fact is that not only are minorities inherentely disadvantaged in most societies (that is a property of being a minority), but that they whine when they rise up and keep bringing them in because they're treated like shit. They are brought there almost exclusively to be treated like shit in the first place!
  • This goes especially for Third World immigration, but others too - strong positive net immigration from those countries has created many problems for society and led to brain drains disastrous for the economies. Case study: the Philippines.
  • The fact is that the native population tends to resent immigrants and people of another culture or race (love it or hate it, race is strongly tied to culture), and many immigrants dislike where they live or would prefer to be in their homeland. This leads both parties into a common ruin.

The problem with people like Solifuge is that they are not realistic. You should not be aiming to create new minorities or extend the size of minorities. You must be pragmatic. You can't put incompatible cultures together. The USA is often cited as an example... where almost every city appears to be segregated along racial lines. This applies to almost every multicultural society in the world though, regardless of history.

A utilitarian, therefore, would seek to prevent multiculturalism, for it is not the charitable enterprise that is is idealised as being by politicians. Few arguments can be made for it beyond heartless economic arguments.
Pages: 1 ... 1596 1597 [1598] 1599 1600 ... 3345