Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1591 1592 [1593] 1594 1595 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3702267 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

The shit Monsanto does makes me seriously consider going vigilante.  I'm not joking in the slightest when I say that somebody needs to slaughter all their executives for the sake of humanity's future.

Hang on... there's a knock on my door.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

monsanto is basically the umbrella corporation from resident evil. yes they need to be destroyed.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, there was a global protest "March Against Monsanto" a couple days ago in over 400 cities around the world.  I haven't seen any estimates on the number of participants, yet, but I think it should be pretty large.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

monsanto is basically the umbrella corporation from resident evil. yes they need to be destroyed.
Except with crops, as opposed to zombies.

Dear god... what if they're making zombie plants!?
What they do with the plants isn't an issue, they're probably the most skilled gene modders in the world. The issue is their business practices. It's a shame, because Monsanto's talent could do great things if they weren't such douchbags.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Except with crops, as opposed to zombies.

Dear god... what if they're making zombie plants!?
What they do with the plants isn't an issue, they're probably the most skilled gene modders in the world. The issue is their business practices. It's a shame, because Monsanto's talent could do great things if they weren't such douchbags.

Douchebags is understatement of the year.  They're directly linked to so many serious health, environmental, and legislative problems it's ridiculous.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, there was a global protest "March Against Monsanto" a couple days ago in over 400 cities around the world.  I haven't seen any estimates on the number of participants, yet, but I think it should be pretty large.
Never heard of it.

To be fair, I had never heard of the company until now.

They don't really like to be known.  They control the majority of the world's food supply.  One of the figures I see most often is about 80% of crop seeds.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

"Control" is giving them a bit too much credit. They own the patents on most of the gene modded seeds currently in use, which happened rapidly over the past 20 years and could just as rapidly collapse if they lose their edge.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

who are also likely to be the primary contributing factor to 1 or more! potentially civilization ending pandemics. genocide against one of our greatest agricultural allies, terminator genes, monoculture, etc. they are producing zombie plants (figuratively).

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Well Monsanto aside, GM food is probably going to become necessary barring space colonization because let's be honest here: the sheer, enormous effort of splitting and distributing equal amount of food per capita across such a large surface area with the current population distribution, diminishing areas of arable land further increasing travel time and general instabilities in the world - it's simply not going to happen without some serious technological improvements (and we're talking sci-fi levels here) as well as economic shifts (can't expect everyone to simply sell food for less than its cost).
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Well Monsanto aside, GM food is probably going to become necessary barring space colonization because let's be honest here: the sheer, enormous effort of splitting and distributing equal amount of food per capita across such a large surface area with the current population distribution, diminishing areas of arable land further increasing travel time and general instabilities in the world - it's simply not going to happen without some serious technological improvements (and we're talking sci-fi levels here) as well as economic shifts (can't expect everyone to simply sell food for less than its cost).
Yeah, we're screwed.

Sometimes I hope all the impending disasters cancel each other out, either because of the effects themselves, or simply not enough people ("We're almost out of food!""We're also almost out of people" "Hey, that works out")
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Must be a pretty damn big meteorite. :o
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

YOU KILLED HIS BEES WITHOUT THE LAW
Of note, Illinois beekeepers are going underground after Ingram’s experience and refuse to register their hives, in case the state tries to steal their private property on phony claims.
Just noticed this part.

Well, if any of them become resistant, at least they won't know WHO'S they are. Hopefully when they do realise, the bees will have spread about quite a bit, and they'l be unable to get them all.

I still wonder why the hell they did this. I can't see any point to it.
http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pages/roundup-powermax-herbicide.aspx
My guess, he was checking to see if the stuff was killing the bees or was screwing them up and probably DID found something.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Maybe, but what would be more helpful than GM foods (with actual good intentions and practices behind them) is if Monsanto would stop damaging arable land, killing bees, bullying farmers, and other such nonsense that severely damages the food supply.

"Control" is giving them a bit too much credit. They own the patents on most of the gene modded seeds currently in use, which happened rapidly over the past 20 years and could just as rapidly collapse if they lose their edge.

But they leverage those patents really really aggressively.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

So they're basically a patent troll with better legitimacy and a ton of GM seeds?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So they're basically a patent troll with better legitimacy and a ton of GM seeds?

Who are also committing genocide on a species (bees) we depend on for the continuation of human civilization.

Pages: 1 ... 1591 1592 [1593] 1594 1595 ... 3345