Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1570 1571 [1572] 1573 1574 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705246 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Seriously tho, they're doing something they love, and that they're good at and are even making a living off of it.

How is that wasting ones talents? If anything, it's the complete opposite of wasting them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Heh. I'd be lying to say i didn't appreciate it, but i dont believeit's te best use of his time. He has however possibly done the best job with it. Additionally, being "better off", despite admitted psychological necessity's, we don't live in a utopia, etc, doesn't come into it ethically.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem to remember you coming by to ask us if we actually lived our values previously.

Why are you so concerned with this?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I'd be disappointed if the nicest place i know of on the internet never takes it outside the boards. I know that some of you at least do, I've picked up that much, but it makes everything a little harder to read otherwise. I'm too familiar with a different meaning of "straw liberal".
Reading a thinner book

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of the rare people in this world for which my ability to give a fuck is still existent decided to disappear without a word. No siree, all the things we were meant to go together and you were supposedly so eager for won't happen for now was the exact time to fly. I'm not even that sad, I knew you'd have to go someday, but you'd think there'd be enough common courtesy involved to clear things up before going.

On top of that, I went to visit Tumblr. It was a bad idea.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

One of the rare people in this world for which my ability to give a fuck is still existent decided to disappear without a word. No siree, all the things we were meant to go together and you were supposedly so eager for won't happen for now was the exact time to fly. I'm not even that sad, I knew you'd have to go someday, but you'd think there'd be enough common courtesy involved to clear things up before going.

On top of that, I went to visit Tumblr. It was a bad idea.

Oh, did it trigger one of your headmates?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't we already answer this question?  Maybe you should start a thread so you can compile statistical evidence.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Didn't we already answer this question?  Maybe you should start a thread so you can compile statistical evidence.

[insert problems with self-reporting here]

I don't think you can really run a study on that based on purely self-responses. It's far easier to state what you believe than to actually live up to it. Just ask the Republicans ;)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, maybe you should hack into the store of IP addresses that visit B12, confirm forum members' meatspace identities, then send out NAUGHTY_NICE// robots to figure out who is actually a do-gooder and who is just online pretending.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

[insert problems with self-reporting here]
[insert unsolicited sarcastic opinion with weak citation as defense]
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I'm very familiar. I also am prepared to recognize a lack of opportunity for some kinds of "taking it outside the boards". On the other hand, some things can be considered fairly ubiquitous, and i think resource use is one of them. I didn't see your response Frumple, but i think we can agree that having achieved this feat, (and it's immediate surroundings) indicates both intelligence and skill. A soul-crushing job as often lamented here is not the best use of those talents, yes, but i doubt that their are no (current) other options for toady, though I'll freely admit that his opportunities may have looked very different when he first started. As for the first bit, I've already stated that not living in a utopia, expecting people to do such a thing both hasn't worked, isn't psychologically healthy and is a pipe dream, nevertheless a balance can be struck between the most useless self satisfying jobs and grimly maximizing efficiency.As it stands, i doubt a sweet spot is games.

Come on Vector. The fact of the matter is that the board has cleared my threshold for thinking it's worth expecting better. The question alone is fairly redundant.
Reading a thinner book

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I didn't see your response Frumple, but i think we can agree that having achieved this feat, (and it's immediate surroundings) indicates both intelligence and skill.
... we couldn't agree, actually. It takes a particular skill set, and particular sorts of intelligence, but there's not guarantee either of those is transferable to... well, anything else but what they were used to do. I'm not in a position to know how capable the folks who did the work on the games are of repurposing those skill sets, or how complementary their particular sort of intellectual capability is with other tasks.

I do know that a lot (if not all) of the programming skill sets related to content creation in general isn't terribly useful when being directed at, say, database programming, or building software designed to assist with construction, research, etc. Often entirely different methodologies and theoretical bases, to say nothing about different programming languages and whatnot. I be indulging in a fair degree of folly to just assume that someone trained and capable in the former would be able to just swap to the latter at the drop of a hat... or at all.

As for the sweet spot... why not? If game programming (art and entertainment in general, really.) is what gets a person fed and keeps 'em sane and functioning so they can go out and do other things, that is what it is. It's certainly no less in line with a utopian goal than a retail job, or most industrial or desk jobs. Honestly, small scale/independent programming work (game related or otherwise) is often more in line with that kind of goal -- at least it isn't quite as blatantly contrary to most utopians as many consumerist enabling fields of work are and sometimes manages to produce something of notable aesthetic merit. It's a cleaner path than a lot of things, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Okay, maybe you should hack into the store of IP addresses that visit B12, confirm forum members' meatspace identities, then send out NAUGHTY_NICE// robots to figure out who is actually a do-gooder and who is just online pretending.

Skip the _NICE, just send out the NAUGHTY// robots.  :-X
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Yea because this isn't sounding more and more like a robot apocalypse plot.   ???

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I guess I'll have to unplug my interwebs... O.o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1570 1571 [1572] 1573 1574 ... 3345