Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705410 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEGology Edition
« Reply #23535 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:48 am »

Any other normal person is still held fully accountable to the law if they assault someone because they're having a bad day...
Well normal people don't typically do all the above. They're regular people, yes, but put under an incredible amount of stress at every turn. What they did was wrong, but putting up a YouTube video and basically tormenting them is not the way to go.
And what is the way to go?
Certainly not ringing the phones. Take it up with the seargeant, if not him than the captain or whoever controls the joint in America. If not them then your options are legal action.

Any other normal person is still held fully accountable to the law if they assault someone because they're having a bad day...
Well normal people don't typically do all the above. They're regular people, yes, but put under an incredible amount of stress at every turn. What they did was wrong, but putting up a YouTube video and basically tormenting them is not the way to go.

There are other professions and personal circumstances that can result in similar levels of stress.  Only police are so protected by this argument.

Yet I would still agree with you if this were something that just happened once in a while, but this kind of behavior is endemic to the point that I'm more afraid of police officers than of criminals...
No. There are no jobs that are as stressful as a police officer. Perhaps a paramedic, surgeon, or coroner. Those would be around the same level. Police officers see everything from babies dead in their mothers arms, to teens dead from overdose. They are in harms way every five minutes of their job, and an immense weight is upon their shoulders. Police don't just respond to crimes, they respond to accidents as well. You wouldn't be feeling too good about society if you had to talk to a man who just got raped, would you?
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23536 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:01 am »

It's so classy how police use tazers as tools for torturing people that annoy them.
Oh Christ. I didn't even watch that after the top comment is the police station's phone number. I mean, holy shit how stupid are you? You're going to get in the way of them because of two cops. That video was exposed to 35.000 people. Who thought it was wise to bring down that power on a damn police station and clog their system, slowing down ALL POLICE RESPONSES.

Police swear an oath of service, it is their duty to uphold the law and when a police officer breaks the law in such a way, it is treason.
*BZZZZZT!*

Treason is the only crime specifically defined in the Constitution:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

What the cops did was dickish, yes, but let's not succumb to hyperbole here.

1: we are at war, a war on drugs and terrorism and apparently on civil liberties.
2: someone who forsakes their oath to attack American citizens is a domestic enemy waging war on the United States.
3: failure to hold them to the legal standards for such injustice is giving them aid and comfort.

Treason is a very very good word for this.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23537 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:23 am »

No. There are no jobs that are as stressful as a police officer. Perhaps a paramedic, surgeon, or coroner. Those would be around the same level. Police officers see everything from babies dead in their mothers arms, to teens dead from overdose. They are in harms way every five minutes of their job, and an immense weight is upon their shoulders. Police don't just respond to crimes, they respond to accidents as well. You wouldn't be feeling too good about society if you had to talk to a man who just got raped, would you?

So police officers are the most stressed people in the world because they see bad things happening to people.  Nevermind the people that bad things are happening to...

And their job doesn't even make top 10 on the most dangerous jobs list.  It's not even the most dangerous civil service job.  That goes to sanitation workers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23538 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:03 am »

Gentelmen, we can't argue here, this is the rage thread!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23539 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:32 am »

Certainly not ringing the phones. Take it up with the seargeant, if not him than the captain or whoever controls the joint in America. If not them then your options are legal action.

There are other professions and personal circumstances that can result in similar levels of stress.  Only police are so protected by this argument.

Yet I would still agree with you if this were something that just happened once in a while, but this kind of behavior is endemic to the point that I'm more afraid of police officers than of criminals...

And that gives them cause to torture and kill for sport without consequence? To violate their oath? The take a shit on the civil liberties of Americans? To destroy the constitutional rights that are the foundation of our country? To end what America is supposed to be?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23540 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:29 am »

So police officers are the most stressed people in the world because they see bad things happening to people.  Nevermind the people that bad things are happening to...

And their job doesn't even make top 10 on the most dangerous jobs list.  It's not even the most dangerous civil service job.  That goes to sanitation workers.
And nearly double the suicide rate. The thing is, they absorb all the bad things that go on in the country. That man just got raped, and the police officer just went to a suicide, or got punched in the face, or nearly shot...

And that gives them cause to torture and kill for sport without consequence? To violate their oath? The take a shit on the civil liberties of Americans? To destroy the constitutional rights that are the foundation of our country? To end what America is supposed to be?
Torture and kill for sport? Please, direct me to examples.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23541 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:48 am »

If this is going to keep going, please spoiler those quotes. 'cause they're getting ginormous.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23542 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:08 am »

Stop it. There is a time and place for these discussions, and this is not the place. If you feel so strongly about it, take it to PM's. I don't think any of us want to see this thread locked.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23543 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:04 am »

Stop it. There is a time and place for these discussions, and this is not the place. If you feel so strongly about it, take it to PM's. I don't think any of us want to see this thread locked.
Rodger-dodger.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23544 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:40 am »

examples? that video is an example. the one posted early this week of them beating a man to death as a lay begging for help and then confiscating cameras is another. these things are all to common.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #23545 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:43 am »

I'm so tired of the spam that my email account gets. 120 messages to remove again and not a single interesting one amongts them. Facebook keeps sending messages even if I have twice tried to stop all messaging. The filter cannot detect even the most blatant spam messages either. only about 1/20 of the spam messages go to the spam folder.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23546 on: May 16, 2013, 11:06:31 am »

Torture and kill for sport? Please, direct me to examples.
This list is incomplete.
My favourite is the one where the police officer murdered an innocent bystander who was trying to get the police to lower his gun [because the police officer was pointing it at a teenager who stole his son's Pizza] and only got charged with manslaughter.

If this is going to keep going, please spoiler those quotes. 'cause they're getting ginormous.
Just delete everything that isn't relevant in the quotes. It's not all that hard.

As long as it's civil, no problem. The rage thread hosted a progressive argument a while back just fine.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23547 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:05 am »

Been playing a game called Hazardhu II lately, and raging at the lack of other players. To make the good items you need to be in a group of three or more, but I have gone for hours without someone logging on. And even then, they are usually in the ass end of nowhere, because that's where all the resources are. Plus the two races have different crafting options, so depending on where you are, you could have a bunch of materials you can't use, and can only trade. But with no one to trade with it just sits there until you finally give up on it. It's really not a bad game, aside from the lack of players.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23548 on: May 16, 2013, 11:13:53 am »

Yeah, I'm ok if you guys keep discussing this. Just keep it civil and keep the quote pyramids to a reasonable level.

Been playing a game called Hazardhu II lately, and raging at the lack of other players. To make the good items you need to be in a group of three or more, but I have gone for hours without someone logging on. And even then, they are usually in the ass end of nowhere, because that's where all the resources are. Plus the two races have different crafting options, so depending on where you are, you could have a bunch of materials you can't use, and can only trade. But with no one to trade with it just sits there until you finally give up on it. It's really not a bad game, aside from the lack of players.

Yeah, the dev for it kept trying to pull me back in so I could bring more players with me. I like the game but unfortunately the RP is really combative and the game, when I was playing, basically devolved into people smashing down your doors while you were offline or trying to create alt accounts to get access to your fortress/home/group.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23549 on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:15 am »

Gentelmen, we can't argue here, this is the rage thread!
The rage thread is no place for anger!
Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to rage!

Wait...so anger does belong here?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 1568 1569 [1570] 1571 1572 ... 3345