Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1565 1566 [1567] 1568 1569 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705780 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: RAEGology Edition
« Reply #23490 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:41 pm »

As it stands, you'd make a terrifically devout Christian if you weren't so opposed to the evangelical and social norms the church espouses, and not believing in god.
Doesn't that apply to everyone?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23491 on: May 15, 2013, 04:13:53 pm »

It's about seeing it as a just world, where morality reigns foremost above all other concerns.
And this, to me, reminds me of one of the fundamental and truly terrifying pieces of religion for me, personally. Of all the things that stand in the way of a world I'd truly want to live in, the Just World fallacy is one of the most powerful, dangerous, and insidious.

The world isn't just. Justice is something you have to earn, and craft, and carefully tend to if you want it to survive. Goodness is something that has to be cultivated and reinforced if you want it to be commonplace and consistent. The world is not good. It is not just. It does not care. It is our responsibility to see to it that we are just and good - there are no excuses that will justify our actions, and we do not have the ability to fall back on saying "If I were wrong, then I wouldn't be so successful." The world does not reward us for doing the right thing, and the rewards we receive are not due to any inherent universal morality incentivizing our actions.

The idea that the world is just is an idea that lets evil flourish.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:16:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23492 on: May 15, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »

My issue with the whole "living prophets" thing is that their word is unimpeachable within the church. It's an article of faith that not just one guy, but 12 guys have a direct line to god and everything that comes out of their mouths is considered to come out of His. And when you consider the back story of Mormonism.....yeah.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #23493 on: May 15, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »

One of the main precepts is, for example, (and this is for all religion), a belief in a moral structure for the world, as opposed to the bleakness of straight atheism(which, it is. Humans don't inherently need to be good, and evolution dictates, they shouldn't be, except to the extent that being a social animal dictates they need be.).

The sheer amount of misconceptions people have with atheism and secular morality, even on the internet where this information is incredibly readily available, is staggering. I am remembering countless people who assume evolution has anything to do with morality.
A moral framework based on rationality is more moral than an arbitrary moral framework based on supernatural punishment/reward, even if both moralities are functionally the same. A good secular morality promotes moral action because it is the right thing to do. Not because you risk punishment.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23494 on: May 15, 2013, 04:36:24 pm »

My issue with the whole "living prophets" thing is that their word is unimpeachable within the church. It's an article of faith that not just one guy, but 12 guys have a direct line to god and everything that comes out of their mouths is considered to come out of His. And when you consider the back story of Mormonism.....yeah.

That would be my primary issue with dogmatic religions in general; when a person's words and ideas are treated as unquestionable, unimpeachable fact. It opens the door to a lot of hate and suffering, when people shelve their judgement in favor of someone else's, especially when that someone lacks a good heart/head. It's not an issue of spirituality or the religion itself, but more an issue of morality and truth... and how those can be set aside when people seek respect and power over other people in that way.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:40:49 pm by Solifuge »

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #23495 on: May 15, 2013, 04:38:47 pm »

Religion is a way to civilize stupid people, who are smart/wise enough to do what's right without it.

If you're only nice to other people due to fear of divine punishment (Jehova/Santa Clause), you aren't actually a nice person.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23496 on: May 15, 2013, 04:42:19 pm »

That would be my primary issue with dogmatic religions in general; when a person's words and ideas are treated as unquestionable, unimpeachable fact. It opens the door to a lot of hate and suffering, when people shelve their judgement in favor of someone, especially when that someone lacks a good heart/head. It's not an issue of spirituality or the religion itself, but more an issue of morality and truth... and how those can be set aside when people seek respect and power over other people in that way.
Kinda a problem with all positions of power though. A mister Assad comes to mind. Only difference is anyone can be a religious leader, assuming they are convincing enough.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:53:42 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23497 on: May 15, 2013, 04:55:14 pm »

I didn't say that faith = fear. I said that christian morality is taught using fear, and that is undeniably true.

The phrase "A god fearing man" is not a grammatical misinterpretation. The certainty of faith creates a great deal of fear when the that you believe in is terrifying. The intentional induction of fear is a self reenforcing method for compliance. Thousands of years of religious history contradict your assertion that religion is not pervaded with fear or that it does not use fear to further its ends.  Whitewashing your history is a good way to repeat it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23498 on: May 15, 2013, 05:08:33 pm »

And to quote Rabbi Ben from Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors:
It’s a fundamental difference in the way we view the world. I couldn’t go on living if I didn’t feel with all my heart a moral structure with real meaning and forgiveness, and some kind of higher power

Believing in something doesn't make it true. No offense, but to me this sounds a lot like this:

It’s a fundamental difference in the way we view the world. I couldn’t go on living if I didn’t feel with all my heart that dragons are real and fucking awesome

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23499 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »

I thought the fear in "a god fearing mean" was an anachronism, like this use of fear is meant to mean to respect and obey.  Like you would respect and obey your parents, your king, what have you.  Not literally fear.  I... I figured this is what it meant and I'm still weirded out by debates about it o_o

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23500 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »

It's the exact same word (meaning, fear) in Dutch. So if it's some sort of grammatical thing it's pretty old.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23501 on: May 15, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I am defending all religion against most of bay12. Great.  I wanted to say something the values Christians actually have, but I ended up defending religion as a concept. I would simply like it for the internet to stop being a Atheist's Evangelical. I have my beliefs, and you have your's. Your's is not inherently better then mine.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #23502 on: May 15, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »

And another quote from the same movie:
May: Wait a minute. Are you telling me that you prefer God to the truth?
Sol: If it is necessary, I will always choose God over truth.

I will never compromise my morals due to what others tell me is true. And, again, another thing, Religion is not all about god. it is about, a system of values, no matter how many Evangelicals spin it into madness, or how many people think that god not existing means all of religion is bunkum.

;_;

I fear our 'morals' simply differ too much to ever come to an agreement.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23503 on: May 15, 2013, 05:48:49 pm »

You also mistake a rational basis of morality with an arbitrary assertion of what "the right thing to do" means. A rational morality is anything but arbitrary. It provides a reason and context for every assertion. So no, I did not at all prove your point, not at all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:50:23 pm by Nadaka »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23504 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »

I thought the fear in "a god fearing mean" was an anachronism, like this use of fear is meant to mean to respect and obey.  Like you would respect and obey your parents, your king, what have you.  Not literally fear.  I... I figured this is what it meant and I'm still weirded out by debates about it o_o

Respect and obey because they will hurt you if you don't. Parents have the authority to punish their children. Kings have the authority to imprison, torture or execute their subjects. Gods have the authority to unmake you, or to damn you to eternal torment.

Pages: 1 ... 1565 1566 [1567] 1568 1569 ... 3345