Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1530 1531 [1532] 1533 1534 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3705981 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Since when does one deserve public mockery for doing something ridiculous?
It is not what one deserves but what one can do. Pillories take away a person's dignity. Showing other people their behaviour is a neutral act in itself; the recorders are at no fault if the perpetrator willingly gives away their dignity for some self-righteous whining.
Also, I never said anything about pillories in the first place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Since when does one deserve public mockery for doing something ridiculous?
It is not what one deserves but what one can do. Pillories take away a person's dignity. Showing other people their behaviour is a neutral act in itself; the recorders are at no fault if the perpetrator willingly gives away their dignity for some self-righteous whining.

Showing their behaviour by uploading a video and adding commentary defending yourself on it is by no means a neutral act. A neutral video would have to go indepth and explain why the woman was in a pissy mood and why he couldn't just turn the engine off. This video is just a passive-aggressive continuation of the quarrel and an attempt to get the last word. Where the woman doesn't even have a chance to defend herself.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

But she was annoying. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

This entire argument seems as foolish and immature as the argument which spawned it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile

But she was annoying. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation.
If I used a sig, this would totally be sigged.

As of the rage: youtube isn't working! Error in every video. (Or at least every video I tried so far.)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

YouTube is working for me o_o;
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile

It appears some videos work. But for example this VSauce video gives error every time I try to view it. According to comments, other people have that problem too.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

It appears some videos work. But for example this VSauce video gives error every time I try to view it. According to comments, other people have that problem too.
How strange. It's still working for me; maybe it's a regional thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goddamned headphones just snapped apart. Not sure if I should order a new pair online or just go to the store buy a new headset of the same model as the old one. It'd be cheaper to order a low-cost one, but I don't want to wait all weekend for shipping.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=0oSzLS0j9fY
This made me rage so damn much.
....wow. Words cannot describe how...ohmagerd. I don't even know what words could possibly describe my rage.

There are people who seem ok at first, then there's people I instantly dislike just from the first words out of their mouth, and that dislike only grows more and more the more I experience their presence. That lady is a number one example of such a person. Wow.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=0oSzLS0j9fY
This made me rage so damn much.
....wow. Words cannot describe how...ohmagerd. I don't even know what words could possibly describe my rage.

There are people who seem ok at first, then there's people I instantly dislike just from the first words out of their mouth, and that dislike only grows more and more the more I experience their presence. That lady is a number one example of such a person. Wow.
I probably wouldn't respond. Either that or ... no, no responding. No moving either; that might set me off.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Goddamned headphones just snapped apart. Not sure if I should order a new pair online or just go to the store buy a new headset of the same model as the old one. It'd be cheaper to order a low-cost one, but I don't want to wait all weekend for shipping.

Does it still play sound and record voice?  If so it might be better to just superglue/duct tape them back together.  I have a headset that broke into 3 separate pieces.  I just duct taped it back together and it is still serving me well 3 years later.  And I'm not kidding when I say I wear them at least 3 hours a day every day.

Superglue is preferable to tape of course, but some plastics resist it, like my headset.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

interacting with

This is the important part for me.  I think it's an incredibly significant difference.  The majority of people I know who aren't gamers are potatos.  They go to work/school and then spend the rest of their time vegetating in front of a tv.  I think there's a core element of humanity that atrophies from being so passive.

...Did you just say tv-watchers are "passive" and "potatoes" compared to gamers, of all people? That's just hilariously ironic. Surely you realise this has everything to do with what you are watching and nothing to do with the medium. Would you really say that watching tv-documentaries about the state of the world is more "passive" and atrophying then when you start up your 137th game of Cataclysm?

Pah. "Interactivity". I'll just leave you with the comment that literature is the least form of interactive media, yet the one that'll atrophise you the least.

I think literature is very interactive.  It gives you nothing more than an idea, and every other sense and understanding is left up to you to develop.  The only reason games have the potential to be more interactive (psychologically) is because of the ability to be a part of that idea which literature only allows you to interpret.  Although, as noted by others, many games don't take advantage of this, and become only exercises in mindless repetition. 

I've put plenty of thought into this.  My capstone project in college involved figuring out how to introduce multimedia and interactivity into comics, while retaining a literary experience instead of turning it into a gaming experience.  I learned a lot about the comparative nature of the two media.  It was pretty interesting how subtle things have a major impact on the audience's relationship with the work.  For instance, I found that the reason voice-overs can never work in a multimedia comic is because they take away control over pacing.  When they lose that control, they switch into the same passive mode as when watching tv.  When they're expected to resume control, it's jarring.  If you give too much control over certain things, people go into a "game" mode of interactivity, and get upset when the work doesn't offer them interaction with things that a game would normally offer.  I didn't take it to a scientific level or anything, but I did try various techniques and observed how people reacted to them.  I can say pretty confidently that differences between media run deeper than just how intelligent the content is.

Regardless of that, I do agree that not all tv is equal.  Some shows are learning oriented or more actively engaging.  The common factor I've noticed among people who spend the majority of their free time watching tv is they don't watch those things.  They watch passive programming that lulls them into a mentally comatose state, and they languish there until something forces them to move again.  I see this mostly among my parent's generation.  I'm glad younger generations are moving away from it.  Even the petty narcissism over social media that people like to criticize so much is a healthier use of time, in my opinion.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

Even the petty narcissism over social media that people like to criticize so much is a healthier use of time, in my opinion.

Duck Faces healthier than Nickelodeon, expert says. Details at 11.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Got out of bed around noon. The ragey part is that I didn't sleep at all in the morning. Most of it consisted of me being woken up every half hour either by screaming children outside, the old ladies chatting it up loudly in the garden or my roommate barging in to ask me stupid questions. As a result I feel groggy like I had almost no sleep while I wasted almost half the day in bed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1530 1531 [1532] 1533 1534 ... 3345