Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709317 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

I think. I think there are woodpeckers in this area. At first, I thought it was just some asshole banging on something. But it's been going on pretty much constantly for days. Days. Without meaningful interruption, beyond stopping when the sun goes down. Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangpause. Bangbangbangbangbangpause. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I'd be throwing shit if I wasn't fairly sure those little red feathered bastards are endangered. Last time I threw something in the direction of a bird it was a BB, the bloody thing was a couple hundred yards away, I wasn't even aiming, and the bird died.  And fell into the pond it was over. A rock isn't fired from a BB gun, but the point kinda' still stands. Also peoples houses and windows and stuff, for the inevitable misses.

Point being there's what sounds like a cross between popping popcorn and a firecracker going off, going off basically unceasingly. Has been doing so for hours (days). And shows no signs of stopping.

It's getting annoying.
I didn't realize that hitbox problem was never addressed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Last time I threw something in the direction of a bird it was a BB, the bloody thing was a couple hundred yards away, I wasn't even aiming, and the bird died.  And fell into the pond it was over.

This is epic on the level of braining a bronze titan with a fluffy wambler.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

I'm a bad coder, and I feel bad. Also I have no fucking clue why my code does nothing.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

There's the Programmer Help thread and the ifProgrammer thread. It seems bay12 has Proficient Programmers(or higher) in pretty much every language XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

MY BLOODY CALCULUS II TEST WAS TOO LONG.

Now, it would have been one thing if I didn't know the material (I did, I could have done every single question (and be unsure over only a single answer) given enough time).
It would have been another thing if I was slow at taking tests (I am not, this teacher is literally the only teacher to ever give me a test that I couldn't complete in the given time unless A) I didn't know the material or B) give everyone like a hour extra to finish it).

Literally not a single person finished, and at the end of class he went around and collected all the tests.
To top it off, the last test was too long as well, and only two people finished that one. You would have thought that he would have taken the bloody hint and made this one significantly shorter. But nope, this one was just as long as the previous one.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

MY BLOODY CALCULUS II TEST WAS TOO LONG.

Now, it would have been one thing if I didn't know the material (I did, I could have done every single question (and be unsure over only a single answer) given enough time).
It would have been another thing if I was slow at taking tests (I am not, this teacher is literally the only teacher to ever give me a test that I couldn't complete in the given time unless A) I didn't know the material or B) give everyone like a hour extra to finish it).

Literally not a single person finished, and at the end of class he went around and collected all the tests.
To top it off, the last test was too long as well, and only two people finished that one. You would have thought that he would have taken the bloody hint and made this one significantly shorter. But nope, this one was just as long as the previous one.

Sounds a bit like one of my profs. He flat out said "you don't need to do this right, just do it quickly." He doesn't write the exams.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

So I discovered the true reasoning behind the QIP policy today.  Don't know why I didn't put this together myself.  A co-worker explained it to me.

Last year, customs raised the value limit and cleaned up a bunch of nitpicky rules on "Informal" shipments.  Those are imports that can be released to the customer before a brokerage entry has been made for review by a customs officer, because they're not considered expensive enough to be important for tax revenue.  Now a much, much larger proportion of the workload is informal.

Before this, the meat of the workforce was level 10 employees, which is where I am.  Our primary job was to process "Formal" shipments, though we process informals too after the formals have been cleared out.  Level 9 employees process "Informal" shipments and get paid about 5% less.  The company now needs a lot less 10s, and a lot more 9s. 

So instead of being any combination of sensible, direct, honest, or humane, they chose to invent a policy with standards that are literally impossible to live up to, to give themselves an excuse to fire most of their main workforce without offering severances or dealing with any of the bad publicity that goes with laying people off for restructuring.  This eliminates any hopes I may have had of simply weathering this thing out.  I'm losing my job soon.  I think a month is the safest estimate of how much time I have left to find another one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

So, can you work out who is snowed in with an intermittant electricity supply? Thats right, me. Well done. You win a prize - a handful of snow.
This is a blank sig.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

So I discovered the true reasoning behind the QIP policy today.  Don't know why I didn't put this together myself.  A co-worker explained it to me.

Last year, customs raised the value limit and cleaned up a bunch of nitpicky rules on "Informal" shipments.  Those are imports that can be released to the customer before a brokerage entry has been made for review by a customs officer, because they're not considered expensive enough to be important for tax revenue.  Now a much, much larger proportion of the workload is informal.

Before this, the meat of the workforce was level 10 employees, which is where I am.  Our primary job was to process "Formal" shipments, though we process informals too after the formals have been cleared out.  Level 9 employees process "Informal" shipments and get paid about 5% less.  The company now needs a lot less 10s, and a lot more 9s. 

So instead of being any combination of sensible, direct, honest, or humane, they chose to invent a policy with standards that are literally impossible to live up to, to give themselves an excuse to fire most of their main workforce without offering severances or dealing with any of the bad publicity that goes with laying people off for restructuring.  This eliminates any hopes I may have had of simply weathering this thing out.  I'm losing my job soon.  I think a month is the safest estimate of how much time I have left to find another one.
Can you get in trouble for releasing all the info after you lose your job? You could theoretically make them feel that bad publicity anyways, assuming it doesn't get you into trouble as well.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

So, can you work out who is snowed in with an intermittant electricity supply? Thats right, me. Well done. You win a prize - a handful of snow.
UK, right (Wales sigflag)? Heard there was a snowstorm there. Have they shut down everything yet?

I've had snow since October.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

ok i have to ask... this sigflag stuff... what the hell are yall talking about? I dont see any flags in anyones sigs?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

ok i have to ask... this sigflag stuff... what the hell are yall talking about? I dont see any flags in anyones sigs?
Have you enabled the viewing of images in sigs? It's off by default.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile

You have enable images in signatures from forum settings.

EDIT:Ninja'd

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Do you have... The knowledge?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Actually, sigflags are like faeries. They're invisible unless they want to be seen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 3345