Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709368 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I've long given up getting mad about our db schema. I mean, what do I honestly know, it's pretty good I guess? That said, when you have two products at least that inconsistently share table and column names, your brain gets very confused, especially when you're taking calls all day from two different product groups, a chunk of which are power users.
Wait, what? That's not just a DB schema screw-up, it's a complete fuck-up with the ER design.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The two products don't talk to each other, so. The ER is fine within each product. But it's decade old software that has been through many hands now....and sometimes all the retroactive changes that would be good to do simply never get done.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Oh so it's two DB products?

Sanity check, passed. I thought the products were instances in the DB and their names had somehow ended up as table and column names. Like using Ford Mustang as the name for the Car table.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh so it's two DB products?

Sanity check, passed. I thought the products were instances in the DB and their names had somehow ended up as table and column names. Like using Ford Mustang as the name for the Car table.

Yeah, no, that'd be bad. That said, as tech support, keeping straight which product does what, which column names are the same, which are totally different, is a huge pain. Like, "Oh it's tagnum in this DB but it's tagnumber in this one. Oh it's typenum in this one but it's inventorytypeid in this one."

It's kind of annoying because, being generalists in tech support, sometimes our customers are more familiar with their product than we are. ><
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Managed to throw my glasses against the ground while trying to pick them up this morning, now one of the lenses is out and I can't pop it back in. I don't know where my frame screwdriver is so that might be out of the question.

Worst part is it was the 20/400 lense, so I can't wear them without it without going crosseyed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Managed to throw my glasses against the ground while trying to pick them up this morning, now one of the lenses is out and I can't pop it back in. I don't know where my frame screwdriver is so that might be out of the question.

Worst part is it was the 20/400 lense, so I can't wear them without it without going crosseyed.
Solution: Badass eyepatch.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That doesn't make me not functionally blind. I've gotten kind of desperate and am trying to bite the lens back into place, since that's where I'm getting the most PSI. It still is not working. I'm not sure how I managed to throw it hard enough to dislodge it in the first place.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

This is an option of absolute last resort, but...got any superglue?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That is so not going to work that I'm not even going to bother explaining it.

Seriously man, that's a My Roommate-level idea.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

No need to be an ass.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Still having retarded computer trouble at work. I have easily lost half my productive hours this week struggling to get my shit damn hell computer to even try to work somewhat correctly.

Fuckitall. I ordered 16 fucking gigs of ram, sent a email to my manager asking to be reimbursed. It is insane the amount of bullshit that I have to go through to cvs sync/build/deploy/run the application I am working on just because the IT people decided that because I have 4 gigs of ram they could fill it with retarded shit like virus scanners and policy software to the point I can't fucking do my job.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Not trying to be an ass, it just sounds like something my roommate would suggest, alongside his ideas that he can sue a car booting company for "denying him an education" and that we can AC the dorm by leaving the fridge open.

I've got the lens back in well enough now that it won't snap back out immediately or when I close the arm, but I can tell that it isn't as stable as before. I really need to find that frame screwdriver.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Godawful shitty week.
Still can't shake this cold. My gums have been hurting all week(my lower lip is pulling it way from the teeth, I don't know why), and my mom keeps "forgetting" to call the dentist to make an appointment(which it may well be a walk-in dentist anyway). The localized painkiller I've been using(store brand of Ambesol) doesn't really work.

At work, they transferred me into working in the school cafeteria, which I hate, because it makes the days feel a hell of a lot longer now, and I simply hate working in a restaurant setting. I've had little room to complain to anybody about it, and what complaints I've made have gone ignored.

And finally, my computer took a shit. I have no idea what's wrong. It turns on, but doesn't POST, nothing appears on the screen. It was working that morning. The only thing that seems to tell me anything is a thing on the motherboard that shows a 2-digit hex code. Ordinarily, or so I'm told, when nothing is wrong, it displays FF, but now it shows 2B but I have no idea what the hell that means.
My mother made a point of saying that it couldn't have been my sisters messing with it, which is entirely believable since if they had, it probably would be much worse. Even so, since my mother said they had nothing to do with it, I automatically suspect them as a reflex.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only thing that seems to tell me anything is a thing on the motherboard that shows a 2-digit hex code. Ordinarily, or so I'm told, when nothing is wrong, it displays FF, but now it shows 2B but I have no idea what the hell that means.

What's the motherboard model/manufacturer? You can google those error codes to identify the source of the problem.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I think. I think there are woodpeckers in this area. At first, I thought it was just some asshole banging on something. But it's been going on pretty much constantly for days. Days. Without meaningful interruption, beyond stopping when the sun goes down. Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangpause. Bangbangbangbangbangpause. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

I'd be throwing shit if I wasn't fairly sure those little red feathered bastards are endangered. Last time I threw something in the direction of a bird it was a BB, the bloody thing was a couple hundred yards away, I wasn't even aiming, and the bird died.  And fell into the pond it was over. A rock isn't fired from a BB gun, but the point kinda' still stands. Also peoples houses and windows and stuff, for the inevitable misses.

Point being there's what sounds like a cross between popping popcorn and a firecracker going off, going off basically unceasingly. Has been doing so for hours (days). And shows no signs of stopping.

It's getting annoying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 3345