Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1464 1465 [1466] 1467 1468 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709470 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Client servers. Virus-laden pieces of shit with too much useless AV, dumb fucking programs that interfere with my job, stupid things that can't be seen over a virtual connection, misconfigured settings FUCKING RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I just want to get my fucking job done, not wrestle with your decade old server installation that should have been shot out of a cannon into the sun years ago.

And while I'm at it, fuck rollouts that can only be done after end of business. I have to man the phones in the morning, my nights are fucking sacred and I already lose enough piece of mind as it is, without leaving work and going straight to bed so I can get up in the morning and repeat the whole massive clusterfuck again. When you combine after business rollouts with needing a physical human at the server to deactivate all the moronic shit they have on it, you get........RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:48:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

Seriously people. Use the fucking sidewalk. If you don't I WILL honk at you. Fuckers.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Goddamn Lagiacrus. Also goddamn me forgetting to bring potions to any of the important monster fights.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Why the fuck are so many people so horrible at simplifying things.  Why do people constantly have to make inane bullshit 30x more complicated than it needs to be.  Why do the part #s in this database have to be 18 fucking characters long, when all that part # does is reference a file that says "these are bicycle rims" (or rather several hundred words in incomprehensible codes and formalities that summarize as "these are bicycle rims").  Why does the exact same item need to be in the database more than 50 times, with the exact same information attached.  Why does the line between stability and poverty have to be perfect accuracy with all these bloated, hollow details.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:25:31 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Long, drawn-out argument with a friend on Facebook.  He more or less believes I "didn't take responsibility" during my years at my last college and thus that's why I spent the following years unemployed and without a clue about how to find work in the field I wanted to go into.  Never mind my school gave absolutely no hints on how to find work related to my field.  And it turned out the field I was going for had no real jobs either.  Glad to know there's still folks out there with the mindset of "blame the victim" and "if you fail, you didn't work hard enough."  ._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

SG, sounds like 'cause they have a freaking terrible database system. And "have" isn't quite the right word in that case. Some lackwit just did, and should maybe be flogged a little for it or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Long, drawn-out argument with a friend on Facebook.  He more or less believes I "didn't take responsibility" during my years at my last college and thus that's why I spent the following years unemployed and without a clue about how to find work in the field I wanted to go into.  Never mind my school gave absolutely no hints on how to find work related to my field.  And it turned out the field I was going for had no real jobs either.  Glad to know there's still folks out there with the mindset of "blame the victim" and "if you fail, you didn't work hard enough."  ._.
whats your field again?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I think we should sink damage boost this guy will get and go with the plan I previously gave. We get a +2 to damage, so no matter what we'll still do damage. We'll have a much greater chance to hit as well, I think, due to his immobility.

((You don't have enough SP to use Locking Glass. Chug SP Potion first?))

I WASTED MY 10000th POST

ON ANTAGONIZING THE PLAYERS OF A FORUM GAME

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I think we should sink damage boost this guy will get and go with the plan I previously gave. We get a +2 to damage, so no matter what we'll still do damage. We'll have a much greater chance to hit as well, I think, due to his immobility.

((You don't have enough SP to use Locking Glass. Chug SP Potion first?))

I WASTED MY 10000th POST

ON ANTAGONIZING THE PLAYERS OF A FORUM GAME
Just as it should be. Carry on Wayward Son.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Don't waste your 11111th post the same way. It's an arguably cooler milestone.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I am now 49 posts away from 12345.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

SG, sounds like 'cause they have a freaking terrible database system. And "have" isn't quite the right word in that case. Some lackwit just did, and should maybe be flogged a little for it or something.

I've been told (by people that have been here long enough and have the connections to know) that the system we file entries on was designed on a napkin 25 years ago over drinks, and has never been significantly altered since.  I believe it.

They actually made an attempt at designing a new piece of software for us recently, to replace just one of the three systems we make use of for every entry.  It was the most epic failure imaginable.  They told us that this thing was in the works for 6 years.  When they released it to us, there were core features unfinished and it had barely been tested.  The interface was also absolutely horrible.  There had clearly been no thought put into usability.  They didn't just give this to us to test and provide feedback.  They gave us this piece of software that was essentially in alpha to immediately put into full-scale use in our workflow.   The entire company nearly ground to a halt for a month, before they finally pulled the plug on it.  Instead of resuming development to actually finish things that needed to be finished and address people's complaints, they announced that the project was dead and scrapped forever, and we'll just have to make due with our terminal software from the 70s.  What was this software supposed to do, you ask?  Organize and assign workloads to people over the network, and display documents.  That's it.  We have people here doing data entry work with enough programming knowledge to probably make that software better than they did in a couple months.

And this is a multi-billion dollar corporation.

So much rage.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

whats your field again?
Creative writing, I honestly wanted to be a writer but turns out the field is not so great at providing work for folks.  At least other artists can be commissioned to paint pretty pictures... writers have to produce original work, edit it alone, then sell and market it alone.  If you really want to have a job, you have to pair writing with another field like screenwriting, journalism, or game writing.  Some people are willing to deal with that, but I know I can't.  Or simply couldn't get into an industry I liked.  I'm just not the sort of person who likes to bang their head against a wall for a few years in hopes of finding work. ... bleh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I've been told (by people that have been here long enough and have the connections to know) that the system we file entries on was designed on a napkin 25 years ago over drinks, and has never been significantly altered since.  I believe it.

They actually made an attempt at designing a new piece of software for us recently, to replace just one of the three systems we make use of for every entry.  It was the most epic failure imaginable.  They told us that this thing was in the works for 6 years.  When they released it to us, there were core features unfinished and it had barely been tested.  The interface was also absolutely horrible.  There had clearly been no thought put into usability.  They didn't just give this to us to test and provide feedback.  They gave us this piece of software that was essentially in alpha to immediately put into full-scale use in our workflow.   The entire company nearly ground to a halt for a month, before they finally pulled the plug on it.  Instead of resuming development to actually finish things that needed to be finished and address people's complaints, they announced that the project was dead and scrapped forever, and we'll just have to make due with our terminal software from the 70s.  What was this software supposed to do, you ask?  Organize and assign workloads to people over the network, and display documents.  That's it.  We have people here doing data entry work with enough programming knowledge to probably make that software better than they did in a couple months.

And this is a multi-billion dollar corporation.

So much rage.

Hey, we need some programmers. Need a job? :P

I've long given up getting mad about our db schema. I mean, what do I honestly know, it's pretty good I guess? That said, when you have two products at least that inconsistently share table and column names, your brain gets very confused, especially when you're taking calls all day from two different product groups, a chunk of which are power users.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:31:21 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1464 1465 [1466] 1467 1468 ... 3345