Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709485 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I can sympathize. I'd probably be having a better time if not for Hell Roommate, but it is hard to get anything done here except schoolwork.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Often in history, multiple people come up with the same idea independently. Quaternions were discovered by two independent people, apparently.
It's pretty hard for that to happen these days, though. The rate of idea creation has been jacked up so high by population and scientific advancement that two people coming up with the same idea quickly enough to have not heard about the other is rare.
That's assuming everyone reads the literature to a degree which they know all about the things they are working with. Which most people don't; even the sub-field of CG consists of tens of thousands of really dense academic papers. The other issue is you then aren't allowed to build off other people's work. Much of computing consists of tiny incremental advances in an algorithm, each contributed by a different group; usually including work and groups from other fields, whose initial work provided the math and/or physics equations for the algorithm, which is itself just an application of those basic formulas.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I wasn't just talking about academia, but IP in general.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can sympathize. I'd probably be having a better time if not for Hell Roommate, but it is hard to get anything done here except schoolwork.

Yeah, thanks.  I haven't been able to complete a real personal project in something like five years due to mental illness and lack of time.  I'm really. . . really. . . really looking forward to being done with this stupid crap for a while.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Whole thing with light being easier to see in the peripheral vision is kinda' being annoying right now :-\

Shit be reflecting off things, I look straight at it, poof no light. Know where the light's coming from, know what's causing my perception of it to disappear, still terribly annoying when my mind momentarily lapses in awareness of it and freaky glowy shit beyond the normal freaky glowy shit startles me.

Damned useless mark one eyeball bullshit. C'mooon upgrades!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

We have one technical team that's not really technical, it's staffed by two women who I'm pretty sure were the Wicked Witches of the East and North in their prior careers. When the training courses they administer don't work for people, their attitude is that if it works for even ONE person, then it's not broken and it's our job to figure out what the other 99% of users are doing wrong.

In a way, I'm glad they're with us and not at say, FDA.
"Hmm....well, one of the hundred people who ate these Botulism Bites didn't die, therefore it's safe for public consumption."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:28:21 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

That's assuming everyone reads the literature to a degree which they know all about the things they are working with. Which most people don't; even the sub-field of CG consists of tens of thousands of really dense academic papers. The other issue is you then aren't allowed to build off other people's work. Much of computing consists of tiny incremental advances in an algorithm, each contributed by a different group; usually including work and groups from other fields, whose initial work provided the math and/or physics equations for the algorithm, which is itself just an application of those basic formulas.
Crippling overspecialization. It is consuming us. It will kill us all.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

"Hmm....well, one of the hundred people who ate these Botulism Bites didn't die, therefore it's safe for public consumption."
Hey, that's only a 1% fail rate. Can't knock that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Hey, that's only a 1% fail rate. Can't knock that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Bright House networks has apperantly decided that they do not need to give their customers access to their routers.  The routers have a randomized access password, so no documentation has it, and bright house does not want to give it to me.

I have a program that apperantly can't get through, and I need to open the relevant port manually to see if that's the problem. (and if so change the port the program uses to some obscure high number so I can safely open it)  But I cannot do that because I can't get the password.

The most depressing part is that it sounds like I know a whole lot more about networking than the guy I had on the phone does.  I've spoken to a manager before and got it in the past, but they've recently changed the router after it malfunctioned, and it really annoys me to have to jump through all those hoops again to get something I should have as a matter of course.

I could always buy my own router,, but even if I did that I would still need access to theirs to shut the damn router function off because it's also the modem.

EDIT: It seems that it is not because they did not want to give it to me, but more that they could not get it.  Apparently the device is malfunctioning, they cannot retrieve a password from it, it also is not accepting any passwords, including what the tech referred to as a kind of backdoor.  The device is functional, but is denying all access attempts to it's settings even after being reset.  They are coming to replace it in 2 days.  Still a bit of an annoyance because the first tech should have saw that and reported it instead of... whatever the hell it was they did do.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:58:10 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
My random late response is random, but holy cow dat guitar riffing.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm feeling so incredibly frustrated with the internet connection acting up right now. Especially since it's kind of making it difficult to do my online math homework... Up until now I was willing to just grit my teeth and bear it, but this has really gotten out of control.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile

Goddamn School Lunch Pricing.
I had to pay 3 dollars for 2 very small breadstick things that are supposed to be 'Pizza Dippers', whatever that is supposed to mean. 3 dollars.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile

I had to pay 3 dollars for 2 very small breadstick things that are supposed to be 'Pizza Dippers', whatever that is supposed to mean. 3 dollars.
Get used to it. Won't be long before schools start banning all outside food.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Get used to it. Won't be long before schools start banning all outside food.
Very unlikely. Most schools could not handle having to feed everyone. I know mine wouldn't have.

Plus, the parents would not be accepting of such a policy.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 3345