Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709457 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

As an outsider, define your bloody terms. You've used algorithm, theorem, program, and "basic math" interchangeably, and even I can say that those are not the same thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me?  I think that algorithms are close enough to theorems that they should be treated the same way, and should not fall under the purview of copyright.  Programs... dunno about particular programs, but I feel like you could probably copyright them.  Basic math should obviously not be copyrighted.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

So, Vector, what is the difference between an algorithm and a program?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

Yea, I expect you would.
That is why I'm so surprised that somebody I respect can actually think that letting people own there work is a bad idea. Seriously, what the fuck?

Let's say I make some amazing new algorithm that allows for something pretty useful like say, rendering, significantly faster. Do you mean to tell me I shouldn't have the rights to this, and that my work is just fair game for anybody to take?
Can you honestly say that is moral?

I have not said that people should not own the product of their work.

Patents and copyright are different, they have different rules and cover different things. And not everything that a person makes is subject to either of them. And only under an unholy abomination of tormented logic is something covered under both.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Let's say I make some amazing new algorithm that allows for something pretty useful like say, rendering, significantly faster. Do you mean to tell me I shouldn't have the rights to this, and that my work is just fair game for anybody to take?
Can you honestly say that is moral?
Yes. Because the copyright system bars anyone else from using it, whether or not they came up with it on their own. If you don't want to tell others about it, that's your issue.

But to bar others from using it just because you figured it out first? That's just wrong. Particularly because, especially in cases like that you mentioned, an algorithm is just math. In many cases you can't just go and do one better; you aren't driving innovation when you say "See these efficient algorithms? You can't use those; your algorithm has to be worse." Because there are physical limits to efficiency, as well as limits to the ways of doing something. If, for example, all sorting algorithms with time complexity n*log(n) were copyrighted, it would have massive negative connotations for the entire industry, and slow the progress of humanity as a whole.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A program is an implementation of an algorithm.  So, much like I don't think you should be able to patent a plot or a translation method but should be able to sell books, I don't think you should be able to patent methodology or plans in general.  Like... I make a theorem, so everyone who wants to use the data in that theorem or its methods has to pay me?  The usual statement about patent is that the profitability of it gives incentive for people to create, which they wouldn't have otherwise.  But it also creates a barrier to entry for other people to create, which, in my opinion, creates a bad system.

And, more than that, if someone else comes up with the same idea out of their own ingenuity (very common in math and, I assume, the more abstract forms of computer science), all this does is punish independent cleverness.  I don't think that's right, either.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Was going to chime in when the conversation moved, but it seems to be staying here.  Most of you probably know what I'm going to say anyway.

I think you guys are arguing this from the wrong angle.  The more important question is this.  Is it really worth crippling progress with intellectual property for the sake of compatibility with pre-existing economic structures?  Can you imagine how much faster and easier we could get things done if information were free?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to note it's entirely possible to make money off of coming up with a faster algorithm for something, you just have to keep it secret (with things such as NDAs).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Me?  I think that algorithms are close enough to theorems that they should be treated the same way, and should not fall under the purview of copyright.  Programs... dunno about particular programs, but I feel like you could probably copyright them.  Basic math should obviously not be copyrighted.
No, all of you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Basic math should obviously not be copyrighted.
2+2=Do The Dew
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Often in history, multiple people come up with the same idea independently. Quaternions were discovered by two independent people, apparently.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Anyone who has knowledge of C, please check my post in the programming thread. I've had it up to here
* Sirus  gestures towards the ceiling
with this code and its refusal to work properly despite looking functionally identical to other code I've written.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

There's also the fact that intellectual property laws are more often than not used by businessmen to steal ideas from the people actually responsible for them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Often in history, multiple people come up with the same idea independently. Quaternions were discovered by two independent people, apparently.
It's pretty hard for that to happen these days, though. The rate of idea creation has been jacked up so high by population and scientific advancement that two people coming up with the same idea quickly enough to have not heard about the other is rare.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, there's still enough of it in math.  The math community is kind of. . . weird.

Side note: I am so fucking done with college.  Done!  Done with teachers setting folks up to fail!  Done with my batty schedule and its weird work hours!  Done with grades!  Done with meaningless busywork!  I just want to LEARN STUFF.  All the stuff!

I actually think I'll enjoy graduate school, but I'm not very fond of undergrad.

Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 3345