Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709619 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I would if I could. This is why all huge, bloated organizations eventually die of lethargy and inertia. Because the structure becomes more important the structure's purpose. Can't dare disrupt the hierarchy. So the handful of people who still try to give a shit finally wither and die inside and become part of the ossified husk of the organization.

Meanwhile, my grandboss (one of the people I've been begging to set up a conference call for this) just sent out two big emails about Happy Hour this Friday. PRIORITIES RAEG

THERE WILL BE NO HOUR OF HAPPINESS UNTIL THE SHIT IS FIXED
Here's what you do. Go to happy hour with him, but take a list. Give him the list of exactly what needs to be done. Tell him, "I want these to be your ideas. I need you to kick some asses for me, because I don't have big enough boots." He gets to look like a motivated genius, you get the changes you want, and shit gets done.
Grandboss is in DC, as is the Happy Hour. There is no happy in Raleigh.

I've already moved on. They don't want it fixed, it's on them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is why all huge, bloated organizations eventually die of lethargy and inertia. Because the structure becomes more important the structure's purpose.

Shit, Redking... this is a hell of a truth. This is like a working thesis for why empires rise and fall, why peasants inevitably rebel against Old Dynasties. This is a humanity-wide, civilization-scale law you've touched upon here. Some serious food for thought.

...er, but yeah. Don't put out your peasant torch at the first sign of resistance, but use it to become the first torchbearer. Get shit fixed.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Fuck, that's far away. Wait, why are they sending out emails to people who can't participate? That's not very nice.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Fuck, that's far away. Wait, why are they sending out emails to people who can't participate? That's not very nice.
Because when they send an email to the distribution list for all the IT folks, we're included. Everything but our group is in the DC area.

EDIT: More work rage. Got a meeting in 15 minutes with the new boss from Lockheed that's taking over the account after Friday. He's been having these small pow-wows the last couple of weeks, I've barely heard a peep from him till now. Word is that they're reading the riot act to folks and basically saying "We don't care what you've done up till now, everybody is starting from square one." They're going to be judging purely from stats who stays and who goes.

Which I actually like, because it means a lot of the deadwood are going to be gone. Bad thing is, my stats are weakened by all the damn special projects and "problem" users that get sent to me because I'm "the closer".
If nobody else can fix it, it comes to me.
If the user is an asshole, it comes to me.
If it needs to be done right the first time, it comes to me.
If nobody's ever heard of it before, it comes to me.
Despite all that, I'm still in the top 25% in stats across the board.

New dude says word one to me about my stats "needing improvement" or some bullshit, and I might be looking for a new job a lot sooner than expected. Did NOT need this meeting today, not with my hackles already up.  :-\

2nd EDIT: Doesn't help that the guy's a schmoozer. Fucking hate schmoozers.

3rd EDIT: I apparently can't read calendars. Meeting is tomorrow. PREMATURE RAGE!!!!!

4th EDIT: Our resident scheduling troll negelected to update the schedule to reflect the schedule swap that was approved so that I could have Easter weekend free. Hence, dude I was trading with didn't come in today. I am *NOT* working Easter weekend. If they insist, they'll be looking for a new senior tech. End of story.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:31:03 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

Unfortunate series of events

I honestly believe that in most situations most problems like this are caused by misunderstanding and miscommunication rather than malice. That being said it's a pretty sizable mis - whatever if you fix all the shit and have poor stats as a result. :(

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

My roommate just hits every single thing that makes me irrationally angry. He's always making some kind of disgusting noise, even when he's not doing anything. I swear he's just constantly chewing on his own mucus or something, because he's almost never not making some noise with his throat.

Dude can't even breath right. Sometimes he'll get in this state where he goes 10 seconds or so without breathing before loudly exhaling, and this can go on for hours.

I'd understand if he was sick, but he does this even when he's perfectly fine.

I've also been away from him for long enough that I can smell how awful he smells all the time. He smells like shit even right after taking a shower. It's absurd.

I really want to hit something, but instead I'm stuck trying to do homework while he's sitting over there being distracting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

My roommate just hits every single thing that makes me irrationally angry. He's always making some kind of disgusting noise, even when he's not doing anything. I swear he's just constantly chewing on his own mucus or something, because he's almost never not making some noise with his throat.

Dude can't even breath right. Sometimes he'll get in this state where he goes 10 seconds or so without breathing before loudly exhaling, and this can go on for hours.

I'd understand if he was sick, but he does this even when he's perfectly fine.

I've also been away from him for long enough that I can smell how awful he smells all the time. He smells like shit even right after taking a shower. It's absurd.

I really want to hit something, but instead I'm stuck trying to do homework while he's sitting over there being distracting.

I somehow have the feeling that the two of you are going to become best friends.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

At least you've only got like a month and a half left, MSH. There's no way they can force you two to stay together into the next school year.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I somehow have the feeling that the two of you are going to become best friends.
KILL, CRUSH, DESTROY
At least you've only got like a month and a half left, MSH. There's no way they can force you two to stay together into the next school year.
Obviously not. He's not even coming to App next semester. He's going on tour with his band instead, and he plans to (or rather, has to) live off-campus afterwards. I already have a different roommate, I just don't know who they are yet. I already like them better than him.

Counting today, I have 60 days remaining until freedom.
-snip-
Yeah, that's about right.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:27:04 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
The Ace of Spades? I'm missing something, here.

I believe Descan is suggesting that MSH and his roommate have a Black Romance going on.

You'd... need to Homestuck to get it.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Black romance is a physical attraction towards someone

and you hate them

and that hate is a primal instinct to mate that everyone feels

i don't think that's quite what's going on here...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Black romance isn't really a thing. My obsessive hate and fantasies of violent action about my roommate are about as close as it gets.

As before, I am kind of friendly with him. Occasionally. But then it swings back towards hate like a pendulum. I'd still say that we fit the mold of a rivalry better than anything else.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 3345