Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3709639 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Implement This Edition
« Reply #21870 on: March 18, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »

Just to be clear, this wasn't meant to be the slightest bit negative.  Vocal = informative, which has always been appreciated.

Oh... thanks.  Good to know.

To the best of my knowledge, empathy isn't in question for autistic kids (that would be pre-antisocial personality disorder kids), but its expression is.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

sigh, goddamn moneypak viruses, always a challenge to remove since you never know how its infected into the system. I wasted 3 hours and missed my club premiere of Macross Frontier my favorite anime, just so i can clean out my father's computer. Curse you Nigerian Prince!!!!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To the best of my knowledge, empathy isn't in question for autistic kids (that would be pre-antisocial personality disorder kids), but its expression is.

Sorry, I've never made a formal study of Autism, so don't consider me very informed. Sometimes I have to sift the second-hand knowledge from the hearsay.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though. The expression of empathy is in question for the autistic, as in they register external emotional information, but don't express their own internal emotional information? Or there's a disconnect between internal and external emotional nature?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like "I feel sad for you but my ability to interface with the external world is so broken that all you're going to get is a blank stare."  Autistic kids are actually shown to have higher levels of empathy than neurotypical children do, but I suspect that adults may learn to turn that off sometimes as a form of psychological self-protection.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

This may just be a problem with the terminology used. I've heard it described as Active and Passive Empathy, where Passive Empathy is the actual ability to feel empathy and Active Empathy is knowing when to act it out in social situations. Autism lessens Active Empathy while Psychopathy lessens Passive Empathy (but does not necessarily hinder Active Empathy at all, hence the idea of psychopaths who have learned to hide their disorder under a learned facade of emphatic behavior without actually grasping the empathy behind it).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So a higher degree of inappropriate and/or non-emotional responses, and a greater ability to read emotional information would be closer to the autistic side of the scale?

If so, I might fall farther that way than I thought.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:34:27 pm by Solifuge »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Let's put it this way.  All the emotions, including ones with social basis, are there, but a person with autism doesn't naturally understand how to express them the same way other people do.

A normal child grows up learning things like the value of sharing, how to resolve conflict, etc.  An autistic child grows up learning what smiling means and how to do it.  It's not that they don't feel happiness or a desire to share happiness with other people.  It's that there is no connection between the emotion and the facial expression, when it should be an innate thing. 

My second child very clearly smiled at me the day he was born.  My autistic brother didn't begin smiling until he was 4-5 years old, iirc... and even then it was creepy.  He was still barely capable of interacting with people at all when he was diagnosed at 10.  Then we began learning that he needed to be taught these things the same way you'd teach an academic subject.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:47:58 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

My second child very clearly smiled at me the day he was born.
For the record, that's unusual. Most infants do not begin smiling (or making any coherent facial expressions, for that matter) until a few weeks to a few months after birth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-whiny snip-
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:56:50 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah.  For example, I was basically Navi as a very young baby ("Look, listen, hey!") but my progress past some very rudimentary stuff was, ah, slow, and a lot of things didn't come to light because of an early-developed extreme stoicism.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

AAAAARGH!!

Brain! Why you no getting simple C expressions right?! Why you failing simple scanf functions?!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

AAAAARGH!!

Brain! Why you no getting simple C expressions right?! Why you failing simple scanf functions?!
Because to program you have to learn the language of the Eldritch Abominations. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, indeed.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AAAAARGH!!

Because to program you have to learn the language of the Eldritch Abominations. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, indeed.
Actually, looking at my code I think a function is not calling correctly. Dunno why, since it looks textbook-perfect, but I'm just gonna save my work and bring it into class tomorrow, lest I suffer a stroke trying to force the code correctly through sheer hate.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

AAAAARGH!!

Actually, looking at my code I think a function is not calling correctly. Dunno why, since it looks textbook-perfect, but I'm just gonna save my work and bring it into class tomorrow, lest I suffer a stroke trying to force the code correctly through sheer hate.
Have you tried facepunching the code? I never figured it out, but I always figured that people who knew what the hell they were doing had.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AAAAARGH!!

Have you tried facepunching the code? I never figured it out, but I always figured that people who knew what the hell they were doing had.
C doesn't really have a face. It has header files, but those are already doing their jobs correctly so far as I can tell :P

Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 3345