Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1417 1418 [1419] 1420 1421 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3710756 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh fucking hell. My stepdad starts off giving me shit that using a little too much water making hot dogs is driving up our electric bill so high that all our financial problems are somehow my fault. Mind you, this is a man who leaves his TV and/or radio on at all hours, even when nobody is home, and often runs a personal space heater even when there's a fire in the wood oven burning. And, my welfare benefits probably bring in about as much money as my mom's job(if the travel cost to her job is taken into account).

My reaction to this then prompts a threat of either: not having a job when we move(overheard conversation puts this about 3 months) = homeless shelter, or having a job = loss of most of that income and being forced to live with them in a one-bedroom place(his decision on the number of rooms, of course). Not to mention being called "too sensitive", and admitting to talking with my mother that my "behaviour"(that is, the occassional reaction to having had enough of this shit) is unacceptable.
Not only that, he hid the keys to the garage, meaning I had to walk to the library.

And I also have to deal with my older sister now. I get less than a day's warning(I was told the morning she arrived), and was also told that she would only stay in my room for one night. It's been three so far. Fuckers also took my peanut butter, leaving me with little to make for lunch.

I am seriously considering murder at this point. Other than that, though, I have a legal question. He does not own the house at all, some bank does after it was forclosed on, though they haven't said anything to us yet, so he's basically squatting at this point(technically, so am I?). Does he have any legal right to collect any form of rent from me, and does he have any legal authority(not that he cares) to evict me? Can I simply cut off the money I pay(through DSS) him?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

It would depend on the exact situation, I suppose.

However, any attempt to change this'll probably end up with costing you way more in justice charges and all that stuff.*

*That also counts for murder, btw.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Plus, since you are also technically squating, if you challenge his legal right to collect rent or evict you in any meaningful way, you might get into trouble yourself.

I have no idea if that's the case. But it's something to think about.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Akura, you and DrPoo need a slightly older version of the Children's Zoo:-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm in a mathematical research class and got specifically asked to do a hard project with the most experienced kid.  I was feeling really good about this until I went to the meeting and we were small-talking, the teacher was asking me about my plans, whatever... I said: "Unfortunately I caught pneumonia and wasn't able to apply to grad school last semester, so I'll be spending a couple years in industry."

He said: "Are you sure you want to go to grad school?"

Well excuse me, motherfucker, I'm the second-best student in your measly research class and the top girl.  There's two of us in the room on a good day.  I'm sharp and I'm smart and your whole song and dance where you'll listen to the guys say exactly the same thing that I did and nod understandingly at them but tell me I don't know what I'm talking about is getting really goddamn old.

He's already had to give me one public apology.  I answer almost all of the questions he gives in class, correctly and quickly--I've made one error in the entire semester so far.  He would have never asked a dude that.  I'm just... I'm so, so angry.  I'm so fucking angry.  I may have to ask this piece of shit for a recommendation letter, and I just, I just.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I'm in a mathematical research class and got specifically asked to do a hard project with the most experienced kid.  I was feeling really good about this until I went to the meeting and we were small-talking, the teacher was asking me about my plans, whatever... I said: "Unfortunately I caught pneumonia and wasn't able to apply to grad school last semester, so I'll be spending a couple years in industry."

He said: "Are you sure you want to go to grad school?"

Well excuse me, motherfucker, I'm the second-best student in your measly research class and the top girl.  There's two of us in the room on a good day.  I'm sharp and I'm smart and your whole song and dance where you'll listen to the guys say exactly the same thing that I did and nod understandingly at them but tell me I don't know what I'm talking about is getting really goddamn old.

He's already had to give me one public apology.  I answer almost all of the questions he gives in class, correctly and quickly--I've made one error in the entire semester so far.  He would have never asked a dude that.  I'm just... I'm so, so angry.  I'm so fucking angry.  I may have to ask this piece of shit for a recommendation letter, and I just, I just.
Take comfort in the fact that you are almost statistically certain to outlive him.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead

From her post, It sounds like the dude has a history of behaviour like this.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

It'd be friendly advice if he said it to males too, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The graduate student teaching me seems to like it well enough.  I know what a half-dead mathematician looks like, and that he isn't.

By the way, did you actually read that article?  What it says is "maybe it's too hard for you or you'd rather have money."  I thought I was paying this guy to inspire me, not let me know that graduate school might just be a bit too difficult or stressful for little old me.  Or that I just don't care enough about math, aww.

Here's the question: what is the element that differentiates him from me?  He barely knows me.  There's something that he's picking up on that means I am not "a person who might want to go to graduate school" and he is.  Hmmm, what could it possibly be?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

You sure it's actually a sexism thing and not just friendly advice?

There's some validity to this. If given the chance again, I might not have gone for my Master's. It's become a financial albatross to the tune of $32,000 and it's had all the utility of a third nipple.

Of the 15 reasons not to that the article listed, I have run into this one soooooo much:
15.Too qualified. During an economic downturn, should you find yourself looking for employment, having an advanced degree can be a liability. You might hear, "sorry, you're overqualified."

I got turned down for a job bagging groceries after graduating grad school. That nearly had me slitting my throat.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FUCK AT&T

I forgot my password for the e-mail account I use to sign in to kickstarter (a bellsouth.net one). Ok, no problem, I don't really use my old bellsouth.net email anymore, but they say that they can send a link to reset my password. So I go into my bellsouth.net email account and every old password I can think of is wrong. OK... what does clicking "forgot my password" for the bellsouth.net email bring up?

Your account is inactive. You will not be able to reset the password with your account in this status.(SFPWD43)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So THAT'S why my g-mail account (which normally pulls e-mail from the bellsouth.net account) has been giving me POP3 errors! I do some research on their forums about this and find out that as of sometime around the start of this year, AT&T has been randomly shutting down bellsouth.net e-mail accounts. What. Okay, I'm told to try to contact Live Support on the issue. Of course, AT&T has no live representatives available for me. Which means...

I'm going to have to call AT&T support.

I'm going to have to call the support line my entire family spent well over fifty hours on one month when AT&T, in their rush to switch everyone in my area to U-verse, somehow disconnected over five hundred people in my town from their internet service for a month including business, homes and even volunteer organizations.

I'm going to have to call the support line that sent us a bill for the wireless router that their serviceman accidentally destroyed.

What was my point, again?

Oh yeah.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I've always wondered about that...

I mean... You don't HAVE to tell them you have a masters, do you? o-o

They could probably find out by googling you, and if you have it listed publicly on Facebook... But are you legally obligated to say "I have a masters" when you apply to a job?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

The graduate student teaching me seems to like it well enough.  I know what a half-dead mathematician looks like, and that he isn't.

By the way, did you actually read that article?  What it says is "maybe it's too hard for you or you'd rather have money."  I thought I was paying this guy to inspire me, not let me know that graduate school might just be a bit too difficult or stressful for little old me.  Or that I just don't care enough about math, aww.

Here's the question: what is the element that differentiates him from me?  He barely knows me.  There's something that he's picking up on that means I am not "a person who might want to go to graduate school" and he is.  Hmmm, what could it possibly be?
Possible, but on the other hand: Once you stop going to school and start working at something other than a low end job, then the odds of you coming back to continue your education DO dramatically decrease.

Rage: my grammar doesn;t seem right
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:40:19 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Different strokes for different folks. He might enjoy the stress, or maybe doesn't have to worry as much about money. Do you?

By the way, did you actually read that article?  What it says is "maybe it's too hard for you or you'd rather have money."
I'm wondering if you read it, honestly. Being too hard or expensive were only two of the reasons not to go, which leaves 13 more reasons that you haven't even touched on.

I thought I was paying this guy to inspire me, not let me know that graduate school might just be a bit too difficult or stressful for little old me.  Or that I just don't care enough about math, aww.
A teacher is being paid to teach you. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether you go or not, whether you succeed or not...irrelevant.

Just a few guesses: Age. Life experience. Actually working in the field. The fact that he's been through this already and has probably seen more than a few people drop out, including ones that he thought would make it.

Oh wait, there I go using logic again. Clearly the only real possibility is that he's sexist. I don't know what I was thinking.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1417 1418 [1419] 1420 1421 ... 3345