Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3711702 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: GAME OVER MAN Edition
« Reply #20850 on: February 13, 2013, 02:22:28 pm »

I use earbuds, Audio Technica's $140 ones. The quality is worth the price, but it has exactly 0 sound blocking. And the quality decays exponentially with sound. >.>
Best for quiet study, or reading.

Sony's E888 earphones are also nice. $80ish, good quality, and it's mellow enough to cover up less-than-optimal quality sound files, but they last only a year and a half before falling apart...
See, I'm already half-deaf, so I'm not an audiophile. I just need to be able to hear what's being said.  :'(

I actually have great signal-detection -- I can hear a murmured conversation on the other side of the house, or a mouse walking around in the attic in the middle of the night.
Problem is terrible signal-processing, especiallly if there's background noise involved. The first part is physical, damage to ear drums from repeated sinus infections and barometric trauma. The second part is psychological, I have a very weak "filter" ability compared to most people. When I'm at a crowded restaurant, I hear EVERYONE's table conversations (other than the person trying to have one with me, typically). But if someone is ten feet in front of me with their backed turned, I just hear gaaawlbr burger ishk dralup.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: February 13, 2013, 02:26:59 pm »

Yep, I'm basically the same way. A nice sound-canceling set was the way to go for me. I even use them for phone conversations when I can.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20852 on: February 13, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

Oh man I can barely function in crowded areas. Half my conversations end up being me going "Eh? Wot? Eh? Wot?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20853 on: February 13, 2013, 02:50:44 pm »

Oh man I can barely function in crowded areas. Half my conversations end up being me going "Eh? Wot? Eh? Wot?"
That's me on a cell phone. ANY cell phone. Thankfully they make models now that you can Bluetooth directly to a hearing aid (don't have a hearing aid yet, but probably will in the next 5 yrs)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20854 on: February 13, 2013, 04:10:16 pm »

I use earbuds, Audio Technica's $140 ones. The quality is worth the price, but it has exactly 0 sound blocking. And the quality decays exponentially with sound. >.>
Best for quiet study, or reading.

Sony's E888 earphones are also nice. $80ish, good quality, and it's mellow enough to cover up less-than-optimal quality sound files, but they last only a year and a half before falling apart...
See, I'm already half-deaf, so I'm not an audiophile. I just need to be able to hear what's being said.  :'(

I actually have great signal-detection -- I can hear a murmured conversation on the other side of the house, or a mouse walking around in the attic in the middle of the night.
Problem is terrible signal-processing, especiallly if there's background noise involved. The first part is physical, damage to ear drums from repeated sinus infections and barometric trauma. The second part is psychological, I have a very weak "filter" ability compared to most people. When I'm at a crowded restaurant, I hear EVERYONE's table conversations (other than the person trying to have one with me, typically). But if someone is ten feet in front of me with their backed turned, I just hear gaaawlbr burger ishk dralup.  :(

This is pretty much me. I can hear my cat walking across the carpet at night, and hear someone tapping their foot over VOIP when we're gaming. Yet on the phone I'll be damned if I can hear the difference between Rod and Todd.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:14 pm »

It's apparently not an uncommon condition (called APD -- auditory processing disorder) to be found in conjunction with forms of autism, including Asperger's.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »

I'd be surprised if it was uncommon.
I can hardly tell what people are saying half the time too. Background noise is so... interfere-y.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:45 pm »

I've had a Plantronics headset (mic included) that's served me well for the past two years. It's not top notch, and the sound is a bit touchy in one ear owadays, but it just takes a bit of fiddling with the volume control to bring it back. Perhaps you could find a used or opened-but-never-used pair?

Mine's not the most comfortable and too big for my head (and I have a big head!), but the sound quality is okay and it wasn't too expensive, according to my folks. No real noise cancellation, though.

I'm with you here. Plantronics is good quality. I've had my headset (Plantronics GameCon 367) for over a year now, and it still functions perfectly. However, it's not cheap (about $70 last I checked), but hey, I wasn't the one who paid for it.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #20858 on: February 13, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »

So pirate it?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »

why would you pay again?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: February 13, 2013, 06:58:43 pm »

I just realized my childhood dreams of a having a sickday off from school were all a bunch of lies. There is only pain and suffering and boredom, as opposed to just boredom.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20861 on: February 13, 2013, 07:08:53 pm »

why would you pay again?
Must've had a copy on xbox or somesuch.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20862 on: February 13, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »

It's apparently not an uncommon condition (called APD -- auditory processing disorder) to be found in conjunction with forms of autism, including Asperger's.
Yeah, I have all those things. I can hear the dog barking outside from across the house with earbuds in my ear and a video playing when no one else around notices anything, but if someone starts saying something to me I won't be able to understand the first few words they say. It's sort of like my language processing needs a second or so to start up before it can get to work on interpreting their mouth words.

And on the subject of earphones, I just use the cheap earbuds that came free with my phone. They appear to be made by Samsung.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: February 14, 2013, 05:05:43 am »

So, for a while, my friends and I have been trying to look for our Gamecube games. The last time they were seen were when out friends hot their new TV, which was almost a year ago. Probably a few months ago, my friend's cousin wanted to borrow their Gamecube, which they did. In our search for out games, we asked if they had it. Apparently they didn't which was pretty sad.

Just today, my friend got a text from his cousin asking if we wanted some Gamecube games. What an convenient opportunity! We accept this gracious gift and wait sure the game's arrival. I jokenly predict that they're going to come and hand us the purple CD case we kept our GC games. I was right. My friend's cousin comes in and hands my friend the purple CD case with our games in it. We all have a good laugh and the cousin goes on her merry way... Then we notice most of the games missing. What's worse were the missing games were the ones we wanted to play. My friends gets a little pissed and send a text mentioning the games were missing. He gets a text back later that says "oh we probably threw them away, sorry!"

...yep, everyone's mad.

On another note, my phone's being a huge dick to me, so there are probably a ton of mistakes. My laptop won't charge anymore (again) soo I've gotta this stupid phone.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: February 14, 2013, 05:41:18 am »

^ This is why i never lend anything to anyone anymore, ever. -_-

Yeah, after i had a good friend lose a really rare sci-fi classic paperback, i swore of lending ever again.

The most i ever lend to people now is a cigarette lighter, and I often never get them back.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:43:45 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1389 1390 [1391] 1392 1393 ... 3345