Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701962 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20715 on: February 10, 2013, 06:24:36 am »

Why were you driving without shoes on?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20716 on: February 10, 2013, 01:55:41 pm »

Dang it people! Learn the difference between my general dislike of something and me actually accusing something of being bad!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20717 on: February 10, 2013, 02:36:08 pm »

To be fair Neo, your writing patterns can make them look very similar at times *shrugs*
It's FEF, not FEOF

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20718 on: February 10, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »

Dang it people! Learn the difference between my general dislike of something and me actually accusing something of being bad!
Too much use of the active voice, not enough of the passive voice.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20719 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »

To be fair Neo, your writing patterns can make them look very similar at times *shrugs*

Yeah. I can't really tell one from another, but that may be conditioning. I pretty much just expect it as universally guaranteed that when I open any thread on certain topics, "neonivek complaining about some aspect of this" will be in the first 20-30 replies. The reasoning doesn't even matter, especially to forum users who don't care to spend their time psychologically analyzing dislike vs. accusation in every one of your thousands of complaints.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20720 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:17 pm »

The problem Neo is that, yes the way you type makes them look identical. And at that I'd assume most people here that have gotten into discussions with you already just assume you hate everything, or just argue contrarily for the sake of it.

Kinda dug your own grave there.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20721 on: February 10, 2013, 03:05:48 pm »

In which case the only thing to do is to keep doing what I am doing then.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20722 on: February 10, 2013, 03:06:47 pm »

Or, you know, stop getting frustrated when people misinterpret your thought process behind a complaint and just move on with your life.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20723 on: February 10, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

Or, you know, stop getting frustrated when people misinterpret your thought process behind a complaint and just move on with your life.

Right... keep doing what I am doing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20724 on: February 10, 2013, 03:10:17 pm »

Could you at least explain your reasoning process behind that response?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20725 on: February 10, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »

Could you at least explain your reasoning process behind that response?

Well, if I cannot communicate in such a way that I can allow people to understand the difference between my dislike of something and my view that something is to be disliked... Then there is simply nothing I can do and should just keep doing what I am doing and correct people along the way.

Freeformschooler said that I should "stop being frustrated and move on" which is essentially "keep doing what I am doing".

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20726 on: February 10, 2013, 03:14:28 pm »

Right... keep doing what I am doing.
Or, just use passive voice.  It's not the "proper" thing to do, but it does clear up the difference between asserting an opinion & and asserting a fact.
Overly Simple example:
"Star Trek: TNG is better than DS9"
"I like Star Trek: TNG more than DS9"

One of these sounds more direct, and will more likely provoke a hostile response while the other has a lower chance of the hostile response.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20727 on: February 10, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »

One of those is stilted and doesn't express your oppinion. That being the second.

While the first has all the information of the second but also gives a reason why, albiet vague but could be considered general, even if it does express an objective assertion.

If you need to express your oppinion Jervill, make sure you have a solid reason why your oppinion is valid and express it to the best of your ability. Weakening your speach in order to be inoffensive is a flaw in writing as it can easily be confused for being unsure of oneself or weak in one's convictions. While overly strengthening one's speach can also have the effect of making one seem bullheaded.

My flaw when writing in the third person when trying to make objective statements is I use "passive voice" interestingly enough.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:20:34 pm by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20728 on: February 10, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »

I think I see the issue here.

These should help.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20729 on: February 10, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »

I know that Neo, but you have the opposite problem where you come across as far too sure of yourself in your opinions that you unintentionally provoke hostile responses.  Ideally, finding a middle ground should be achievable as long as you keep it in mind that you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 ... 3345