Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3701831 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20700 on: February 08, 2013, 05:59:35 am »

Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity.
Which reminds me, Wikipedia's sample sucks. So boring. If anyone wants to see it, youtube smalin jupiter holst :D Smalin is awesome for classical.
For some reason almost every piece of Holst's "Planets" reminds me of some The Elder Scrolls music. Was Bethesda's musicians heavily influenced by him or did Holst have a time machine?

Anyways I'm all for warfare in the rhythm of every piece of "Planets", especially Venus, the bringer of peace.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Sonic the Betrayer Edition
« Reply #20701 on: February 08, 2013, 08:46:46 am »

504 Errors
SO MANY 504 ERRORS DUE TO BAN DODGERS!!!!
IM TRYING TO CASUALLY ROLEPLAY!!!!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20702 on: February 08, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »

I wonder what Mew's prob is bout Civ.
Its a game from XP times, it ran great on XP.

I run it fine on Win7, i just had to find the actual installer and run it badmin
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20703 on: February 08, 2013, 06:19:59 pm »

As for my rage, high school hallway traffic congestion. Gaaaaah.
This big problem I had back in high school was when people would all just stand right outside the door of a room and talk instead of actually going inside. not a big deal on most classrooms, but sometimes the crowds outside certain classrooms would fill up 2/3rds of the hallway, which is quite a problem when you have hundreds of other people trying to move through the same hallway and now it is down to only two single-file lanes of traffic.

Nowadays it's bus crowding for me though. My college is a rectangular one, so it's about 3-4 times as tall as it is wide (about 5-7 min walk across short way). Now do to the way that the property purchases worked out when they built a new engineering building the new engineering building is the most southwards building there is. All of the physics and math buildings, correspondingly, are the farthest north you can go. The end result is that every class hour has hundreds of engineering students trying to make their way from the southmost point of campus to the northmost or vice-versa, and since the passing period is only 20 minutes not only is it too far to walk and make it on time but also the bus ride itself is long enough that if you don't manage to force your way onto a bus in the first 5 minutes you are going to be late anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20704 on: February 08, 2013, 06:44:32 pm »

Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity.
Which reminds me, Wikipedia's sample sucks. So boring. If anyone wants to see it, youtube smalin jupiter holst :D Smalin is awesome for classical.
For some reason almost every piece of Holst's "Planets" reminds me of some The Elder Scrolls music. Was Bethesda's musicians heavily influenced by him or did Holst have a time machine?

Anyways I'm all for warfare in the rhythm of every piece of "Planets", especially Venus, the bringer of peace.

Yeah, the Elder Scrolls theme seems to have taken notes off of Jupiter. Really noticeable in Morrowind, but hey, this is Holst we're talkin' about here. I'm not complaining.

Venus is pretty good, yeah, but as a French hornist, they're all pretty good. Holst knows how to treat a horn, none of this oompah doompah crap.
This is some pretty interesting music. Caught some elder scrolls in this one, but also caught quite a few other parts of things as well (most of which I can't quite name as the song/movie is something I can't quite recall).
EDIT: Mars bringer of war reminds me (among other things) of Star Wars music.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:52:02 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #20705 on: February 08, 2013, 07:40:47 pm »

The end result is that every class hour has hundreds of engineering students trying to make their way from the southmost point of campus to the northmost or vice-versa, and since the passing period is only 20 minutes not only is it too far to walk and make it on time but also the bus ride itself is long enough that if you don't manage to force your way onto a bus in the first 5 minutes you are going to be late anyways.
Ouch. 20 minutes of time between classes sounds nice though, compared to 5 minutes. Then again, college campuses are much larger than a standard high school.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20706 on: February 08, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »

The end result is that every class hour has hundreds of engineering students trying to make their way from the southmost point of campus to the northmost or vice-versa, and since the passing period is only 20 minutes not only is it too far to walk and make it on time but also the bus ride itself is long enough that if you don't manage to force your way onto a bus in the first 5 minutes you are going to be late anyways.
Ouch. 20 minutes of time between classes sounds nice though, compared to 5 minutes. Then again, college campuses are much larger than a standard high school.
I'd prefer the 5 minutes between classes, and get out of the place earlier. With too-long breaks, you find yourself killing time and it's too short to really do anything productive. But i guess if the campus is THAT large that you have to get a bus to the next class..then you need the 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:56:27 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20707 on: February 08, 2013, 07:55:39 pm »

This is some pretty interesting music. Caught some elder scrolls in this one, but also caught quite a few other parts of things as well (most of which I can't quite name as the song/movie is something I can't quite recall).
EDIT: Mars bringer of war reminds me (among other things) of Star Wars music.
It is entirely possible Williams was influenced by Holst to some degree, t'be honest. The planets suite was done a good sixty years before star wars came out, was pretty darn popular, and Williams was classically trained and from a musical background, so he likely had encountered it.

Could... could send Williams an email and ask, maybe. Dude's still alive.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20708 on: February 09, 2013, 12:06:18 am »

Yeah, the planets peices seem to have had some pretty big effects in influincing future artists.
Just looking up star wars mars holst on google gave me a list of like a dozen different movies and such that appear to have music inspired by it.
And among other things this quote:
In fact John Williams has even admitted that George Lucas used Mars as place holder music for the final scene. Lucas asked Williams to make a score for the scene on par with mars and with a similar sound and tone.

Hell, listening to some of these sound like a massive compliation of associated music themes, they just cover so much that every 20 seconds I go: "Thats so close to [other media piece]" that if I didn't know it was way older I would think he took from them on purpose and just changed a note or two.

For example Jupiter just now totally gave me Wind Waker, quite a few christmas tunes, The Elder Scrolls.

This is some amazing music, not for how good it is (and it *is* good) but for how huge a influence it had, and how easily I can notice its influence by just listening to a song and picking everything out of it.

EDIT: Listened to mars again and just noticed The Wizard of Oz.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:13:02 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #20709 on: February 09, 2013, 12:51:19 am »

Holst was innovative: he used fade-out before recording systems even existed xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20710 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:48 am »

Ok, I know I've heard the very beginning of Jupiter in a video game before, verbatim. Soul Caliber, maybe?

EDIT: I remember now, it was in Catherine. Not surprising, as it used a lot of classical music.

Other stuff in Jupiter:

2:20 Jurassic Park

3:00 Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:00:27 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20711 on: February 09, 2013, 12:55:35 am »

I'd prefer the 5 minutes between classes, and get out of the place earlier. With too-long breaks, you find yourself killing time and it's too short to really do anything productive. But i guess if the campus is THAT large that you have to get a bus to the next class..then you need the 20 minutes.
Having had a chance to check the map the campus comes in at about 2.5 miles from top to bottom (which is the way that everyone is trying to go) and about 1.2 miles across sideways. So yeah, 20 minutes is about what it takes to get from class to class if you have to go across campus.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20712 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:06 am »

I wonder what Mew's prob is bout Civ.
Its a game from XP times, it ran great on XP.

I run it fine on Win7, i just had to find the actual installer and run it badmin
Wish I had dem disks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20713 on: February 09, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »

Ow, something I ate isn't settling well.  Been in discomfort for the last few hours, really hope this will sort itself out soon.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20714 on: February 10, 2013, 12:11:06 am »

welp, went to the store, broke down halfway when the alternator went out, had to walk 4 MILES back to my house..at night. WITH NO SHOES. AND NOBODY STOPPED TO HELP ME UNTIL A DEPUTY FOUND ME LESS THAN HALF A MILE FROM MY HOUSE ret%$$#%efre%$#%
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 3345